Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Plumeria Whiplash, aka PARADISE!

jandey1
10 years ago

My family finally made the pilgrimage to the "motherland of plumania", as my husband calls it. It's known to the natives as just "Kauai".

First off, let me say that if you love plumeria but don't yet suspect that you may have bitten off more than you can chew with your 40 or 50 potted sticks, you should go.

If you KNOW you've bitten off more than you can chew with your 80 or 90 potted sticks, you should go just to see what you're in for in several years.

You know what--just go! It's a magnificent, friendly, laid-back place with some incredible sights above and beyond the beautiful flora. The people were lovely and very tolerant of the bumbling tourists, a wonderful vacation spot!

Day One, we arrive at our lovely condo to find it covered in flowers:

Usually I have to go to a florist to find so many orchids in bloom at once!

Then, everywhere we go there are towering Singapores:

These do not grow compact by any stretch of the imagination! My 5-year-old climbed several of them and I can tell you they get a good 20 feet tall. They were the most common trees around the resorts on the south side of the island.

Talk about tall again:

This is an unknown dark pink with big flowers and a light scent. Those are parking spaces beneath it and a carport nearby.

This is the dark pink in a bowl of Singapores, Lei Rainbow, and probably a Kauka Wilder--which also smells great, btw:

Just for proportions, this is one of the shortest mature trees I saw in Kauai, an unknown light pink with a great scent:

It was on private property so I just picked up a dropped bloom outside the fence, but it was one of the best smelling blooms we ran across. And believe me, I smelled a lot of plumies, LOL!

I kept my eyes peeled for a great orange like Dutch Orange, and from a distance the Lei Rainbow blooms look quite orange. Sneaky things! And LRs were everywhere on the island:

There were very few Celadines to be seen, but all were of a manageable size, unlike this beast:

This sweet, innocent blushing plumie is Edi Moragne, one of the top two best-smelling plumeria ever. This bloom dropped off a monster 20-ft tree that makes my little two-tipper look insignificant. She ain't dainty, that's for sure! Good news is the blooms last a very long time, smell great and the leaves on the two Edi trees I saw were the biggest healthiest leaves I saw on any plumies anywhere. (That will make me feel better in a few years when I'm hauling my 12-ft tree inside for the winter.)

Wish I knew what this one was! I saw the same red in several places and it's the Hilo/Kimi Beauty-type dark red. The trees were all huge and the blooms smelled like Dr. Pepper:

The flowers aren't huge but it was blooming profusely:

Here's the tree:

Imagine my excitement when I noticed a few broken branches on the wall beneath this red, but when I picked them up they were all dried out :(

There was a smaller version in a yard many towns away, too:

I think it must be fairly common on Kauai. Does anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

My biggest disappointment with the plumies on Kauai was the lack of broken branches on the ground beneath them. Someone needs to have a talk with the gardeners on that island about being more careless in their clean-up efforts. Since I won't just take branches off trees I was relying on the laziness of groundskeepers for some gleanings! Harrumph!

I'll have to continue this vacation thread later; still have many more photos to download and share! Hope you enjoyed 'em!
Jen

Comments (30)

• nativec
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jen- I'm drooling over here in CA. It's been so long since I've visited and your pictures made me want to pack a bag right this moment!!! I love seeing all the mature trees! They are the reason for my sticks! LOL

Thank you for sharing pictures of your vacation!

Take care!

Nicole

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Jen,

How wonderful! Just looking at your photos I can totally smell the sweet fragrance in the air. Oh how I miss HI! Of course the many times we were there I wasn't into plumeria. Looks like I need to go back!

Thank you for posting all those pictures. I hope you find some wonderful treasures. Enjoy yourself!

Take care,
    Lynn

• rox146
    10 years ago

ahhhh...the spirit of the Aloha...very happy for you that you were able to be there...it is our favorite isle. Isn't Kauai Beauty red? roxanne

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Oh wow! I feel like jumping on a plane right NOW!!! It looks so amazing and peaceful!

I can't wait to see more pics!!

Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Jen!!

Lovely pictures!!!

I know you were in heaven during this trip... My neck would be hurting looking at every tree and my eyes would be feeling the strain too!! ;-)

The gardener's and or locals really do need to keep from being so tidy!!

Bud always mentioned that going around on the day trash was collected was the best time for cuttings.. People just pile up mounds of limbs to go to the dump. OOHH. MYYYY!

Sounds like a beautiful vacation. I can't wait to see more pics!!

Thanks for the lovely pictures!

Take care,

Laura

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Hi Jen,

Welcome back! It looks like you and your family had a blast! I wanted to visit Kauai now! The unknown red bloom you were holding may be Irma Bryan.

Can't wait until you upload the rest of your pictures

Kenny

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Jen,
    Amazing looking condo and GORGEOUS bloom pics!!! Hey are you going to Grove Farm to see the Famous Morange Grove and take a tour of the grounds? A must if your in Kaui.
    You should also go see the Famous Duvauchelle Red mother tree as it came from Kaui also.

Enjoy your fabulous trip and eat some great local food for me
    Cheers
    James

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! It was wonderful to finally be there in person. I can stop turning fifty shades of green when someone else posts their HI pics, LOL!

Nicole, it was really time for me to pay back all the great photos of others who went! Yes, go back soon!

Lynn, I was surprised that Singapore wasn't more fragrant. To me the Celadines, while smaller, had a better scent. But the smell everywhere you go is great, as you know!

Rox, those reds may be Kauai Beauty. Would make sense since they were everywhere! And boy, do they get BIG.

Mark, it was very peaceful! Even my hubby unwound and got into the lazy pace after a day or so. You should go!

Laura, I looked for brush piles and garbage pick up days, but darn it, those folks are so tidy! You do get some whiplash there with so many gorgeous plants, not just plumies. My mom loved all the flowers and we went to a lot of botanical gardens, of course! Your mom would probably be in heaven, too!

Kenny, thank goodness there were no places selling named cuttings! We only got a few from gardeners at the resort or we would've been like you on your visit, needing to ship back in huge boxes! I did find an orchid place selling these tiny things for about $28:

I passed since I know Singapores will just black-tip on me in Texas.

James, I looked everywhere for the Moragne plantings along the highway but didn't even know the Moragne Grove was still there! We didn't make it to Grove Farm at all, and they don't seem to do any advertising of tours there. I'll have to do it next trip. :)

We did eat pretty well, though:

I have no idea what some of that stuff is, but we ate all of it! They were the best pineapple, mango and bananas we'd ever eaten! We also had a great fish my husband caught, but again, no idea what it was.

Strangely, we had very little chicken while there:

The Kauai chickens really have taken over the island, lol!

This is by far the biggest plumie I've ever seen. I call it Library Pink, since I found it behind the library:

The small one is the size of a big CA Sally, and the big one was about 6" across! Very floppy petals, and a big-growing tree, so not one I'm meant to grow at home in a pot.

Next to a good-sized Celadine:

Here's the tree:

It made the Lei Rainbow nearby look very dainty:

And again, talk about big trees, this is the giant pink at Kilohana plantation:

Immense canopy:

Cerise-like blooms:

Not fragrant, though.

Unlike this unknown beauty. I can't put my finger on it, but it's very familiar and had that great buttery jasmine scent:

Carmen, maybe?

And here's a great dark pink/red from McBryde Gardens:

Royal Hawaiian, maybe? Thick petals and light scent.

Gratuitous shot of giant tree:

If these look familiar, it's because they were used in Jurassic Park, though they're even bigger now:

Okay, more coming later!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Gosh it's just like being there! Gorgeous photos and yummy fruits. I actually bought home boxes of pineapples b/c back then I wasn't into plumeria. LOL.

Again thank you for taking the time to post the pics! I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at them and reading your comments. Have a wonderful time Jen!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

jen

Absolutely great photos. Every time someone here goes to Hawaii I kick myself for not looking out for plumeria when I was there in 06. Of course back then I was interested in them.

I laughed at your frustration with the local gardeners being so good at cleaning up branches.LOL

That gigantic flower would be a real keeper for me.
    Why do you say Singapore would black tip on you?

Glad you had a great time!

Mike

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, really, I expected a more lax attitude about yard trimmings! How are plumeria-addicted tourists supposed to get their cuttings? ;) Even the library had no broken branches of that huge pink lying around, so I'm sorry I can't send you one!

Singapore was my "Troublemaker", the first plumie I ever got, back in 2005. It grew leaves fine, but every spring no matter how carefully I kept it out of chilly air, it black-tipped. I've heard of Texans who can grow them and get them to flower with ease, but not me. After trying with two plants for several years, I've given up. After smelling Celadine and Singapore side-by-side I've decided Celadine smells better to me anyway, so I'm sticking with it as my "Classic"!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Jen

Great pics.

Lonnie

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Oh my! I have to come back tomorrow and look over those pics again when I have more time to clean up my drool!

Glad you had such a great trip Jen!

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found the pics of the giant Edi Moragne trees:

Her leaves are also huge, and a perfect clear green.

And a random light pink plumeria:

And a popular pink, at the expected size, Dwarf Singapore Pink:

Not-so-normal size:

I'm having to shoot upward to get this "Dwarf" Singapore shot:

Still, it's a beautiful dense tree with wonderful foliage. I can see why people love it.

Random white plumeria tree:

Shooting up for this Lei Rainbow, too:

Again, the big Singapores were all over:

It wasn't all plumies, though! There are some stunning sights:

And OMG! This is one of the natural wonders of the world. You MUST go see it!:

Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific! Truly awe-inspiring and well worth the trip.

And here's a noodle-scratcher. This plant looks very like a plumeria in structure, but with oddball seed pods like immature mangoes:

The flowers are pure white like a primitive plumeria, but with a pink bud and the most heavenly strong fragrance!

Any ideas? A species maybe?

Whew, still more pics to share but I'm done for the night. Hope y'all like them!

This post was edited by jandey on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 9:06

• texasplum
    10 years ago

wow! one of these days I will have to make it over there. It def makes you look at those sticks in a different way! lol thank you for all the pics they are awesome!

• texasplum
    10 years ago

wow! one of these days I will have to make it over there. It def makes you look at those sticks in a different way! lol thank you for all the pics they are awesome!

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, this is the last round of pics. There was an incredible assortment of orchids there, as well as helliconia, ginger, etc. There were also some strange plants whose names escape me.

Like this guy. The yellow flower is actually not a flower, but a bract maybe. The real flower is the pink one that follows after the yellow drops off:

The real flower:

For all you epi lovers:

I don't know what this tree is, other than beautiful:

Close-up of the flowers:

And again, the orchids were breathtaking:

And thanks to the tireless efforts of some very dedicated botanists, flowers like these were saved from extinction. This one is completely unique to Kauai, and there were only 5 known plants remaining, clinging to a cliff, when a botanist rock-climbed to them to hand-pollinate the tiny colony:

And yes, that's a miniature golf course we're on. Only in Hawaii!

Best miniature golf course EVER:

• pcput
    10 years ago

"Wonderful", Jen! Thanks so much for sharing your pics. Looks like you had a great time. Hoping to get there some day.
    Peg

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing Jen. Great trip report and fabulous pictures.

George

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Peg and George! We're already planning another trip!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Very pretty! I love seeing the plants in the wild. Thanks for sharing!

Mark

• elucas101
    10 years ago

WOW! Jen, I've come back to look at your pictures several times, they are so fun to look at! It sounds like an amazing vacation & your pictures are gorgeous!

• joanr
    10 years ago

Jen,

I just realized I did not comment on your pictures. They are awesome and I keep coming back to look at them over and over. That is one beautiful place and I am glad you got to witness it. It is on my "bucket list" :)

Thank you for sharing this beauty with us.

Joan

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Great to see that you had a good time. its a wonderful place.

• palmspringsplumie
    10 years ago

Wow this really inspires me to get back to Kauai and do a tour of a different kind. Some of this info is better than the travel books! Maybe I could do one and post it that way. Anyone have an opinion on which time of year is best in Kauai for plumie blooming?

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark and Emily, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! I keep coming back to look, too. :)

Joan, this was on the top of my bucket list for a long time and I'm so glad to have crossed it off. Well, until the next trip, heehee. You will love it! The condos were surprisingly affordable, too, so definitely look into those if you go as most are walking distance to beaches. Even in August there were no big crowds anywhere, which was an unexpected bonus.

K, we had a fabulous time--thank you again for all the great tips!

Palm, I think we missed the peak of plumeria blooms by a few weeks, so maybe around mid-July?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention those trees in your last group are known as Rainbow Shower trees. Really neat to see them loosing petals in the trade winds.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Had to revisit these pics as winter is finally(!) winding down.

Hope you all are spotting lots of inflos and that you'll post pics when they bloom! None at our house yet, and everyone is waking very slowly.

Happy spring, everyone!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Spring is finally here!! We have some overnight temps this weekend and through Wednesday next week in the high 40's. After that they all come out of storage!! Mine are I a plant room, and I'm seeing inflo's on several. This should be a great plumie year in North Texas!!
    Lonnie

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

The tree you do not know above is called a shower tree. I used to stay on a street that was lined with them and it was like snowing flowers all the time. Very messy but beautiful.