Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango88_gw

Plumeria in Canada

Mango88
11 years ago

Hi there,

This is my first time growing plumeria. I bought 3 plumeria cuttings from Canada Bloom March 2011(Toronto). So far all 3 are doing well and lots of leaves. There is 1 plumeria cutting is thriving very well and sign of flowering soon as there's "inflow"? My question is should I continue to water even through winter and let it grow instead of letting it go dormant? Right now all 3 plants is sitting on my balcony and gets lots of sun since it's facing south. See attached for the plant that shows inflow. It's only 1 1/2 year since I bought the cutting. I hope to see the flower soon and would be sad if the leaves and "inflow" drop when I bring it indoor. Please let me know what I should do to over winter them.

Thanks,

Mango88

Comments (17)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

HI Mango. That is a really nice inflorescence you have there!

The standard answer to plumeria and dormancy is that they will go into dormancy themselves and -need- to rest in order to produce flowers next year. But, I recently read that is not necessarily true.. at least for experienced plumeria growers.

Many people on this forum have had their plumerias go dormant with inflo's that hold until spring and then begin to grow again and flower.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

How exciting! Congratulations! Do you know the cultivar's name that is about to flower? I hope you can keep it going long enough to enjoy the flowers. :)

-Robert

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I am impressed! Canada is not the easiest place to grow tropicals for sure but you are doing a great job.
    Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

A high-intensity discharge lamp with metal hallide bulb (1,000 watts) set to 12 hours might be overkill, but it would likely keep that plant growing and blooming. There are other lighting schemes as well.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I would try to use supplimental light and heat and push it to keep development. I think if you let it go dormant it will not bloom.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi Mango88, Great job ! I had a Plastic Pink that had an inflo last fall and when I brought it in it aborted the inflo. I got 2 new tips so maybe next year it will bloom. I hope you have better luck with yours. I have one with an tiny inflo ( singapore dwarf pink) now. I plan on bring it in before temps drop into the 50's in hopes I can save this one. The rest of the plants I bring in when we get 50-55 degrees. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Peg

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Peg - my dwarf singapore pink is also pushing a tiny little inflo. We have twins! :)

Have you had any temps falling into the 50's yet? The last 2 nights it's been down in the upper 50's. Scares me! I had a customer tell me the other day that "they"... whoever "they' are... are predicting a very cold winter. Have you heard that?

• pcput
    11 years ago

Wed. night was down to 55 and I brought in 2 newly rooted cuttings that I had just put out and 2 that have inflos on. I just happen to walk out late and realized how cold it had gotten. Was glad I brought them in and now we are back into the mid to upper 60's at night. I hope it's not a cold winter as it sure runs up the oil bill. Peg

• Mango88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your advice and feedback. The weather in Canada is getting cooler now(night: 50's, day:68+). I think I should start bringing in the my plants. I will leave all 3 plants in my kitchen area(West orientation) lots of light and should be ok for the winter. Should I stop fertilizing the plants? I've been been fertilizing the plants every week(10-52-10) since spring. I am uncertain how the inflow will do once I bring it in during the winter. I will have to keep my fingers crossed and hope to see some flowers. I have no idea what the name or type of plumeria. Perhaps when it bloom some of you might be able to identify the plant for me.

• Mango88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greetings from Canada,

My Plumeria finally bloomed but unsure the name or type of Plumeria. The flower last about 1 week and will drop. Is this normal? Does the flower last longer if it's outside during the summer compared to indoor during the winter? The type of Plumeria I have doesn't have the sweet scent I expected. I am looking for a sweet scented Plumeria and does anyone know where and which one I should get online?

Mango88

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Derrick at a piece of paradise has some great prices and ships to Canada. You can read his descriptions and get an idea of which ones are scented.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Piece Of Paradise

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Congrats Mango. So Jandy was right on with her 6-8 week prediction. It kind of has a Thornton's Mardi Gras look to the flower. The cooler the temperature the less intense the colors and scent will be. A flower lasting a week is pretty good inside or outside.

In the forum post below. there is a picture of TMG blooms about 7 down in early June.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Clear Lake PSA Sale Thread

• irenka
    11 years ago

can you post the email address or address of the people you bought your plumeria from at canada blooms. i just bought another one last week and they did not include instruction sheet or address. I let mine rest in winter and so far had one that flowered beautifully on three branches, i bring them out of dormancy in beginning of march as they need lots of time.. my daughter had a tree in her front yard in bermuda and it goes into dormancy in the fall even though it is still warm.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Irenka,
    You would probably find as good if not better information on this forum than an instruction sheet. Besides it sounds like you are doing pretty good to have blooms starting already.

• lizab32
    4 years ago

I’d love to know where one would buy Plumeria plants or cuttings in Toronto or in Canada? .

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Way to go! it looks beautiful! Hard to do here and in many northern states. I have seed grown plants from 2010 that I'm still waiting for blooms. You got cuttings off mature trees probably I know the CNE in Aug sells them as well. Might pick another one up.

lizab32- You don't see them here. I only knew on the CNE but now we know Canada Blooms in Match carries them..

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor