Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria leaves look burned in the middle and then fall apart

Posted by kpence73 Atlanta, Ga (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 22:10

Here are some pictures of almost all of my leaves. I have looked over the forums and don't see anything that is the same as this. What is it and how do I save my plumeria. This is the first season it has done this.

Almost every leaf is like this now. The conditions from last season to this season have not changed. It was in full sun then as well. I let it dry out completely over the winter and started watering again back in March. This started maybe in May once it had a good deal of leaves on it. The tree is from seed and this is its 4th year and it still only has the single upright stalk. No side branches and has never flowered either. Now this has happened to it.

I did fertilize it with a general mix back at the beginning of spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria leaves look burned in the middle and then fall apart

Almost looks like sunburn to me. Is it against a warm wall? Maybe give it just a bit of afternoon shade?

o

It is actually outside in front of a window. I wouldn't call it warm (the wall) because it has been in the 90s here in Georgia. But I could definitely see "sunburn" as the issue. Last summer it was outside on a deck (not against a wall), and it was moved to its current location when we had a new deck built, then painted, and it has been next to the house all summer.

I will move it and report back

o

you can put bamboo fencing between the wall and the plant and this cuts down on the burn. The fencing is cheap at home depot or like stores and is usually 6 foot tall and in a roll of about 25 feet. Anything like a piece of material helps.

o

I think you're right on about burned. They look scorched, especially in the bottom photo. Otherwise the leaves look healthy; good size and color. Is the window aluminum-framed or have a reflective coating on the glass, or even west-facing?

From what I've heard a seedling might take anywhere from 2-6 years to flower. When the blossom inflo shows up the trunk will branch from that point, and only then will you get multiple tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here