Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor gave me some plumerias

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 22:11

My neighbor was going to THROW AWAY!!!!! some plumeria(s). I'm not sure if it's 1 single plumeria split into 4 branches or if it's actually 4 individual plumerias.

I keep forgetting to take a picture of it. Anyway, she did kind of a hack job trying to prune it.

Would it hurt it if I completely cut off the tops of it? all the leaves and stuff. because they are bent and growing at a really weird angle. also I want to cut it because they are so tall and wide (at the angle) that they won't fit into my front door without some serious maneuvering and I have to bring them in in a few weeks because it frosts here.

Unless do you guys think that it would be ok on a covered porch? it wouldn't receive any frosting but it would be subjected to temperatures below 40 degrees.

if I do cut it can I root the pieces I cut off?? I wanted to cut off at least 3 feet of them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor gave me some plumerias

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 9:13

Yes you can cut it. Now may not be the most ideal time but hey you gotta get it inside right. Some people will seal the cut with DAP brand of caulking you can find at home depot and lowes. the cuttings can be rooted. Also winter is not really the easiest time to try. If you do cut them let the pieces callous over and sit them in a dry, dark and somewhat cool place. Plumeria cuttings are pretty good at sitting for awhile awaiting to be rooted.

Almost all tropicals wont receive any damage until the temps hit freezing. Thats not to say they wont like it very much below 40. if you have no choice you can wrap some christmas lights around it and then toss an old sheet over it. That can offer a few degrees of protection and keep the frost if any off of it.

mike

o
RE: Neighbor gave me some plumerias

After you callus the cuttings for a couple weeks, just poke them into the soil under the main plant and don't let them get in temps below about 50. This should give them the best chance to root at a very difficult time of year, though it may take until spring. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here