Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Waimea vs. Leona Hoke

jandey1
10 years ago

Any of you big growers out there have an answer about whether or not Waimea is the same as Leona Hoke? The question came up on one of the FB plumeria pages and there were both "no" and "yes" answers. I'm confused!

The flowers are very similar and I just noticed today that the leaves are very similar, too, with a definite point on each tip. Both my plants are too young to do a good comparison, and Waimea hasn't bloomed for me yet.

Thanks, plumeria community!

Jen

Comments (12)

• rox146
    10 years ago

I just looked up in the AKA listing I have from the San Diego group and there is NO mention of an AKA as Leona Hoke....hope someone else finds more info....roxanne

• astrl
    10 years ago

I don't think so, but I never gave it much thought. Here is Waimea.

astrl

• astrl
    10 years ago

And Leona Hoke.

astrl

• astrl
    10 years ago

BTW, the Florida Colors website has Leona Hoke, and the description says the original tree was in Waikiki but has since been cut down. Waimea is a JL. I bought Leona from Florida Colors and Waimea from Matt (the JL seller on Ebay).

I hope this helps.

astrl

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rox and Astrl! The petals look a bit wider on Waimea in photos, but the colors are so close. Hard to tell. When I checked again this morning, both trunks have that slightly knobbly texture, too.

Waimea was supposedly discovered by JL's son, I think. My Leona came from FCN, too, but Tex there was not sure either.

• astrl
    10 years ago

That's very interesting, jandey. I'll have to pay more attention the next time they are blooming. I wonder if the scents are the same.

astrl

• nativec
    10 years ago

Hi Jen!

I hope you are doing well. To add to the confusion.... Yolanda looks just like Waimea but Fuzzy gave me the history and they apparently aren't related( I have since forgotten the story). LOL

I like you have often wondered about a possible connection between Waimea and Leona Hoke. Of course Leona has been the bane of my existence since I keep loosing it to rot! I've replaced it for two years from FC and it fails every winter, despite it being well rooted.

Sorry I couldn't help with the mystery but I think astrl has provided compelling evidence:)

Take care!

Nicole

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nicole when mine is big enough to prune I'll send you a cutting :)

Kara at Plumeria World was kind enough to ask Jim Little for me and both said they'd never heard of an aka for Waimea. So, question answered as far as I'm concerned!

• nativec
    10 years ago

Jen-that is so kind of you! My trees are working on getting big enough so I can pay it forward. This is where your "comeonalready" comes in :) LOL

Mystery solved! Yay!

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

I don't know if this will help any but I have both Waimea and Leona Hoke and I see a difference in the growth pattern and the petals. Leona Hoke rooted quicker as well but, both are beautiful!

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Nicole, if you are interested in buying one of my LH just let me know and I'll pull them. Fully rooted and survived two winters with temps around 34 on more than a few nights. I've had no problems with them whatsoever.

• Paul Green
    last year

I do not think Waimea and Leona Hoke are the same at all i have both and they are good size trees now Guadaloupe Fernandez to me is more similar to Leona Hoke The color datiration is not as pretty on Waimea to me and the petals on Waimea look slimmer Could be cultural differences I suppose but GF is to die for when temps hot near 100 it looks on fire

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES