Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

How ironic!

Andrew Scott
10 years ago

Just a little while ago, Laura and I were talking about how it is getting to be that sad time of year where we have to start prepping our trees for there long winter slumber indoors.

I was telling her that this year I planned on gradually hauling my trees in so I won't hurt my back. We were also talking about how unseasonably cold it is in the North east. I told her that tonight we are supposed to hit a low of 40. After our conversation, I double checked the Weather Channel and.....now there is a FROST ADVISORY!!!!! Needless to say I was more than a little upset!

Knowing that it would not be possible to move them all in tonight, I pushed them all up against the foundation of the house, and said a little prayer. I did move what I could inside but my back is protesting against anymore movement for the night.

Please say a little prayer for my plumerias! Tonight I won't be sleeping too much!

Andrew

Comments (14)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Andrew put some Christmas lights on them, it really works, I am praying so that your plants will make it thru the night. Barbra o

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Andrew- you have my little prayers your trees will make it through the night!
    :-).

Chuy

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

I hope the Weather Channel is wrong!! I hope your plants make it just fine!!

Mark

This post was edited by Maark23 on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 0:44

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Andrew,
    Hope all goes well. Isnt it kind of early for frost? The farmers Almanac is predicting this winter to be very severe.
    Batten down the plumies
    Well wishes for your plumies

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Well it is almost 1:30am and it is 40 degrees. Hopefully this means we won't have a frost. They did say that it was more likely to hit the inland areas. I am technically not living at the lake shore area but being about 10 miles in, I still get the benefit of additional heat from the lake.

Hi James. How are things with you? I also have heard that this was going to be a bad winter. I always say that whenever the farmers report that they are having bumper crops, that is mother nature's way of providing everyone with enough food to get through the winter. We usually have a few more weeks before we have a frost. Then again, I remember one year it was the 1st week of November that we had our first severe frost!

Another hour or two, and as long as temps stay above freezing, I will go right to bed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have too many trees to string Christmas lights on them all.

Have a good night everyone, and I will let you all know how things go tomorrow.

Andrew

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Staying up late with your trees. That's the biggest indicator of a plumiholic. Hope all is OK Andrew.

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hope they all made it through, Andrew! This is awfully early for frost.

• texasplum
    10 years ago

hope all went well last night and there was no damage

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we did NOT have a frost last night! WHEW!! Everything looks good, and hopefully none of them suffered any damage. Temps hit 38 at 3:30 a.m. but temps started going up after that.

Andrew

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Very happy for you Andrew! Glad all your babies made it through. If the Almanac is correct then from the Northeast down we are in for it...again.

Have you checked into buying bulk amounts of frost cloth? I'll look around as well for you and let you know if I have any luck.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow that's crazy cold for this time of the year Andrew. How ironic indeed that I also texted Laura my temps yesterday when I went to pick up the kids and it was 90!

Glad to hear you all made it through the night w/out harm.

I used the frost blankets last year and I think it really helped. I'm planning to get some more this year so I won't have to bring the big ones inside.

Take care of your back Andrew.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Dont' forget, there's always bedsheets.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Everyone is having crazy temps.....

Lynn... Glad you are still having heat...

Andrew... So glad you didn't have frost!!!

We are having temps down into the 50's tonight. Argh!!!

Have a good night everyone!!!

Laura

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Oh Lynn your too funny is that your new B.P.F.F.N right now as you text your weather status? LOL :P

Andrew glad to hear that all is well :)

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 18:13