Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to care for Plumeria in winter

Posted by fsfranke z6 MO (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 22:49

I'm brand new in the hobby of Plumeria trees. What do you do for the winter? I lost 2 plants last year but bot 4 more and this summer they have done great outside in pots. The fall and winter are too cold and I must bring them in to my basement. Also,they need to be repotted.

Questions:
Do I repot before the winter?
How do you care for them in the winter?
What size pot should I use for a plant that is about 1 1/2 feet tall?
do I need to use a Grow light?
Let me know soon because I have to bring them in real soon.

Thank you in advance,
Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to care for Plumeria in winter

Frank,
I would wait and repot them when they awaken next spring. For the winter, I would bring them in when the night temps dip into the 40s. Let the soil dry and the leaves will fall off. This is normal. The plumeria can be left in their pots over the winter. Some water them very little, others not at all. Keep them in the dark and keep them from cold/freezing temps. Some remove them from the pots entirely, shake off most of the soil and wrap the roots in newspaper. Then store them by hanging them up or in a closet or stand them in a container. Don't let the roots touch cold ground. When the weather warms up, bring them out again, repot, and let them awaken. Don't water much until the tips show signs of life and new leaves. Check out plumeria101.com for additional info.

Mike

o

Frank... check out some of my posts. Northern Plumi updates. How big are the pots. I NEVER let mine go dormant, and just let them grow naturally in my kitchen and these are 5-6 foot trees. I've got a degree in Trop Ag/Horticulture from the University of Hawaii... and I never really fuss over them. Just read all my posts and you'll get alot of info.

o

Tommyc, What kind of light do yours get in your kitchen? Don't want mine to go dormant either, and was wondering what kind of light would work inside here. Thanks, Karen

o

Oh yes, that was the question I was going to ask... What kind of light??
Brittany

o

What Kind Of Light? Geez... Just the sun that comes from the East in the morning through my 6 foot doorwall. Thats it. The plumi's are on the North wall about 6 feet from the sliding door. Thats it!!!! Simple eh? I water a couple times a month or when the leaves look a little droopy. The temps in my house are cool during the day till 11pm, then drops during the night to 59 by 11:30 am. Cool, Isn't it. I also save alot on my gas bills. My thermostat is set to 11:30am 62, 3pm 64, 7pm 66, 11pm 59.... I'm working on those electric bills, but I can't get them any lower than 21 Kw hours a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here