Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susielovesflowers

Question about callused broken plumeria branch

Hi all! I am new to this forum, but I have been devouring all posts related to broken plumeria branches because I have one :-(
We brought a plumeria branch back from our honeymoon in Hawaii in 1998. It grew every year when it emerged from its dormant stage but it seemed like it would not ever bloom. Finally, after 10 years, it sent up a flower stalk, which was blooming when we returned home from the hospital with our first and only child! And it has bloomed every year since, allowing us to enjoy its fragrant blooms all summer long. And so yes, as you can imagine, I have a strong sentimental attachment to it!
Unfortunately, it blew over 5 days again on Thursday 9/11 and a branch broke off. The mother tree seems to be healing just fine, but I am watching it closely for any signs of trouble.
However, my question is about the branch that broke off - I fear I have mistreated it. I immediately placed it in water because of course, we were leaving the house and I just wanted to ensure it lived. Once I read a little more, I realized that I shouldn't place it in a vase of water, so I took it out of the water and cut the bottom off cleanly, but about 24 hours had passed while it was in the water. Then, I didn't put any rooting hormone on the clean cut, just left it on the kitchen counter to callus which is where it is now. The wounded end is pretty callused, but it is also starting to look a little shriveled. I would really like to try to root the branch - is it too late? If it is not too late, should I re-cut the branch and apply the rooting hormone before planting it in a bottle (one a warming pad, etc.)? I have read many of the other posts about how to treat the cutting, but I am not sure if it is too late to try to save mine. Fingers crossed....
Also, regarding the mother tree - I clearly need to move it to a bigger pot, should I wait until the spring to do so?

Thanks for any advice you can provide, I really love this little tree.

Comments (2)

• Pondplant_kid
    9 years ago

I would wait until next spring or before it comes out of dormancy to repot. Make sure to use well draining soil and a pot with many holes, I prefer to use black nursery pots because they attract heat, something plumerias love. They also have holes on the sides, for more drainage. Depending if the branch has begun to rot will determine the survival. Is the bottom soft or mushy (the core) or is it firm? If it's firm I would continue to dry it for maybe a week or two and then plant with some rooting hormone. If it's begun to rot I would try to cut above the rot maybe 4 or 5 inches. Then let it dry. It's all you can do. If another branch breaks off many people just stick it in with the mother tree, no clean cut or anything. And many grow. Only do this if putting it in its own pot is impossible or not worth doing. Give it full sun and warmth. Keep it out of frost. Hope this helps :)

Josh

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

repot next spring. You will be amazed when you repot, how tight of a root mass you're going to see. Especially, if it is a plumie that is a fast grower, they get rootbound fast. All roots and no soil nutrients to eat. Since the plant is going into dormancy, it is OK to postpone the transplant til next spring. When you do repot, do your best to undo the root mass to prevent roots from growing round and round like they've been doing.

you can apply rooting powder right after cutting or when ready to stick in soil. Doesn't make much of a diff. The KEY thing is to let branch callous, which should be anywhere from 1-3 weeks. Being that you're close to end of your warm season, I would just let the branch sit in some dry and warm part of your house and stick in soil next spring or whenever it gets warm in your area.

And back to your broken branch, the flesh should look white. If you see the tiniest hint of "yellowing" right now, cut, cut, cut until you see nothing but white. Then dip in rooting powder or not.

Finally. I live in Houston and am relatively successful rooting in the fall, but being that you are in MI, is why I suggest that you just let the branch be dormant until next season.

This post was edited by bossyvossy on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 16:05

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths