Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An E-bay Gem, Multiple Gold/J-4?

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 22:55

Three years ago I bought a grafted plumeria on E-bay from a Thai vendor. It was labeled as "Multiple Gold", a name I have never been able to find anywhere else. I also bought a cutting of "J-4" from another Thai vendor on E-bay and although it never grew very vigorously, it seemed to have flowers identical to the "Multiple Gold" that I bought. That one is less than 2 feet tall and seems to grow very slowly.

Strangely enough, the "Multiple Gold" seemed to grow in a very dwarf form for me, is less than 3 feet tall in a 7 gallon pot and has over 30 branches at this point. Every year it throws off many infos but not very many leaves. Typically a year's growth off any branch is under an inch.

I can't quite figure out what I have here, but I have to say I love the short low mound of flowers that it gives me every year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An E-bay Gem, Multiple Gold/J-4?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 23:18

Ebay "gold" literally. They are great!!

Mike

o

If you google J4 plumeria, one of your photos from another post comes up under "Images for J4 plumeria". At least I think it's your J4, isn't it?

Anyway, I just looove your ebay Gem. If you ever want to sell cuttings, let me know. :)

o

Well, yes it is yours because when you clink on the pic it takes you to your post. That's how I knew it was your post in the first place. LOL

o

hehe, that post on line might have been mine, probably last year when my plant was blooming pale off white flowers until a heat wave in the August-Sept timeline and then it turned orange on me, I had to share that ... it is better this year and I still have no idea what I have, and why it grows so compactly, but I love it :)

o

WOW Now that is what I love, a dwarf plumeria with compact growth and abundant flowers. What a gorgeous plant. :3

o

Absolutely fabulous! I love the compact size and soooo many blooms, this is a great plant for the deck. You are gonna be rich once you start selling cuttings to all of us.

Congrats on a great buy.
Tally HO!

o

What an absolutely stellar plumeria!!! It's literally perfect in every way! I have a feeling it's a seedling of Penang Peach. You hit the jackpot! How is the scent?

Tony

o

Beautiful~ What is the scent?
No problems with the Thai Seller? I've been told they aren't very reliable.

Jan

o

Tony,

Scent wise this one has zero scent that I can detect, but I am willing to cut it some slack just for the overall size, and display of flowers. If it had a typical plumeria fragrance it would be perfect.

Jim,

I only purchased from Thai sellers on Ebay in 2008. Two of the sellers sent me exactly what I asked for, although my first crack at it resulted in three cuttings that, although true to name, were very dessicated and took almost a year to root, and three years before they were much to look at. The other two vendors sent me plants that turned out to be nothing like what they were supposed to be. I think the vendor that sent me what I asked for goes under the ebay name of Anamanyee or something similar.

Caveat emptor ;)

o

O. M. G! I think I speak for several of us here when I say that that is the kind of plumeria we all dream of: compact and covered in pretty blooms!

M, you're right, if it were fragrant it would be perfect. The J4 designation probably means one of Jungle Jack's plants, which are known for their small size. Wonder if it's one of the Penang seedlings that isn't very commercially popular because of the lack of scent. Still, a good one to look for.

I know which seller you're talking about and they seem to be on the up-and-up. Thanks for posting those great pics!

Jen

o

What a beautiful tree...

Gorgeous!!!

Laura

o

Love your pictures of J4. I too purchased mine from an Ebay seller in Thailand a few years ago. This is the first year my J4 has blooms. The blooms are beautiful but have very little scent.

o

Yes, I agree, it is a beautiful flower, and the colors range from pale, almost white in cooler weather to a bright orange when it is very hot. I think you will enjoy it. And the flowers are very large too, but as you mentioned, no scent.

Last week I posted some pictures of what this one looks like now, two years later, take a look.

Does yours also grow very dwarf in aspect?

o

Mike, this is the thread that prompted me to keep this on my "some day" list, and "some day" was this summer.

I got a nice three-tip J4 from Anyamanee last month--I hope they're the same flower--and so far it seems to be growing after that brutal bare-root trip.

I'll post pics in a few years when it blooms, LOL! The growth habit is wonderful so I can put up with the wait. Thanks for sharing the news on this variety!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here