Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

An E-bay Gem, Multiple Gold/J-4?

mjhuntingtonbeach
11 years ago

Three years ago I bought a grafted plumeria on E-bay from a Thai vendor. It was labeled as "Multiple Gold", a name I have never been able to find anywhere else. I also bought a cutting of "J-4" from another Thai vendor on E-bay and although it never grew very vigorously, it seemed to have flowers identical to the "Multiple Gold" that I bought. That one is less than 2 feet tall and seems to grow very slowly.

Strangely enough, the "Multiple Gold" seemed to grow in a very dwarf form for me, is less than 3 feet tall in a 7 gallon pot and has over 30 branches at this point. Every year it throws off many infos but not very many leaves. Typically a year's growth off any branch is under an inch.

I can't quite figure out what I have here, but I have to say I love the short low mound of flowers that it gives me every year.

Comments (14)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Ebay "gold" literally. They are great!!

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

If you google J4 plumeria, one of your photos from another post comes up under "Images for J4 plumeria". At least I think it's your J4, isn't it?

Anyway, I just looove your ebay Gem. If you ever want to sell cuttings, let me know. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Well, yes it is yours because when you clink on the pic it takes you to your post. That's how I knew it was your post in the first place. LOL

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hehe, that post on line might have been mine, probably last year when my plant was blooming pale off white flowers until a heat wave in the August-Sept timeline and then it turned orange on me, I had to share that ... it is better this year and I still have no idea what I have, and why it grows so compactly, but I love it :)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

WOW Now that is what I love, a dwarf plumeria with compact growth and abundant flowers. What a gorgeous plant. :3

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Absolutely fabulous! I love the compact size and soooo many blooms, this is a great plant for the deck. You are gonna be rich once you start selling cuttings to all of us.

Congrats on a great buy.
    Tally HO!

• Tony10
    11 years ago

What an absolutely stellar plumeria!!! It's literally perfect in every way! I have a feeling it's a seedling of Penang Peach. You hit the jackpot! How is the scent?

Tony

• plumie_girl
    11 years ago

Beautiful~ What is the scent?
    No problems with the Thai Seller? I've been told they aren't very reliable.

Jan

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tony,

Scent wise this one has zero scent that I can detect, but I am willing to cut it some slack just for the overall size, and display of flowers. If it had a typical plumeria fragrance it would be perfect.

Jim,

I only purchased from Thai sellers on Ebay in 2008. Two of the sellers sent me exactly what I asked for, although my first crack at it resulted in three cuttings that, although true to name, were very dessicated and took almost a year to root, and three years before they were much to look at. The other two vendors sent me plants that turned out to be nothing like what they were supposed to be. I think the vendor that sent me what I asked for goes under the ebay name of Anamanyee or something similar.

Caveat emptor ;)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

O. M. G! I think I speak for several of us here when I say that that is the kind of plumeria we all dream of: compact and covered in pretty blooms!

M, you're right, if it were fragrant it would be perfect. The J4 designation probably means one of Jungle Jack's plants, which are known for their small size. Wonder if it's one of the Penang seedlings that isn't very commercially popular because of the lack of scent. Still, a good one to look for.

I know which seller you're talking about and they seem to be on the up-and-up. Thanks for posting those great pics!

Jen

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

What a beautiful tree...

Gorgeous!!!

Laura

• kbplumerias
    9 years ago

Love your pictures of J4. I too purchased mine from an Ebay seller in Thailand a few years ago. This is the first year my J4 has blooms. The blooms are beautiful but have very little scent.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree, it is a beautiful flower, and the colors range from pale, almost white in cooler weather to a bright orange when it is very hot. I think you will enjoy it. And the flowers are very large too, but as you mentioned, no scent.

Last week I posted some pictures of what this one looks like now, two years later, take a look.

Does yours also grow very dwarf in aspect?

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Mike, this is the thread that prompted me to keep this on my "some day" list, and "some day" was this summer.

I got a nice three-tip J4 from Anyamanee last month--I hope they're the same flower--and so far it seems to be growing after that brutal bare-root trip.

I'll post pics in a few years when it blooms, LOL! The growth habit is wonderful so I can put up with the wait. Thanks for sharing the news on this variety!