Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryanf_gw

new to the forum

Bryanf
9 years ago

Just wanted to say hi for my first post and thank you to all for all of the useful knowledge on this forum. I�ve been lurking for a few months and absorbing as much info as possible before our move. Now my fianc�e and I are in our new house in Huntington Beach so we�ve been buying different plants mainly Plumeria�s for the yard. We have bought a few from Lowe's that came from Jungle Jacks (fools gold and Divine) and also met a gentlemen off of craigslist that has a beautiful yard full of Plumeria's and he was nice of enough to sell/give us five different plants (Teresa Wilder, Hilo Beauty, Pu U Kaheas, Jeanie Morgan, and Penang Peach) and give me a bunch of pointers on what he does and uses for his yard. He has many more that we want so I will be going back when he has some more ready. We are looking for more now that we have a large yard and can do what we want with it.
Also, if anyone in the local area has any info on their winter plans in the Huntington Beach area please don�t hesitate to post up any info in this thread as we are trying to get a head start with preparations. We are building some mini green houses in our side yard (two 4� by 5�) for vegetables and Plumeria storage if needed.

Bryan

Comments (10)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Bryan!!

Welcome to the group !!

Sounds like you have some nice trees already!! JJ's is a great place to shop!! Your connection from Craig's list .. Nice!! Hilo Beauty.. Gorgeous. Pu'u Kahea is another. Jeannie Moragne. Is a winner too!! PP. is a must have.. I could go on.. All of your trees are really nice selections!!!

Congratulations!!!

You live In The perfect place for Plumeria purchases and great sales through the summer season.. SCPS just had a huge rooted sale at Balboa Park In San Diego..

Orange County farm Supplies is a great place to pick up materials( mix) etc. FYI !!

Mike is on here and he is also lives in Huntington Beach!, friends from all around your area. Costa Mesa, Orange County. Ventura. Etc.. Bill lives in Costa Mesa and is very knowledgable and helpful too!!!

I am sure they will see this and offer you some suggestions on winterizing your trees. Young ones will need more care at times, Established ones are more hardy.. Once they are establish.. Some plant them in the ground and they just watch for low temps. I'll let them advise..

I will let those close to you answer those questions about taking them I. When young in your area. So many different climates around that area!

Congratulations on your new home and welcome to the Plumeria Forum!!! :-)

Take care,

Laura

• Bryanf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura,

Thank you for all the info and I hope some of the local guys/gals post up some info. I've been watching all of the plants through this mini heat wave were having now and all is good so far.

In the next few days were getting a few of the JL PlumeriaâÂÂs and those we are really excited about after reading and looking at pictures of them.

IâÂÂm trying to get our two greenhouses up in the next couple of months so we have those ready but finding time is difficult as of right now.

ItâÂÂs funny you bring up Orange County farm supplies because I only hear great things and thatâÂÂs the place to go for materialâÂÂs. IâÂÂm planning on stopping by this coming weekend just to check it out and pick up a couple small things. I donâÂÂt really need much as itâÂÂs going into winter soon and I was advised to not feed or re-pot until the next season (March or April).

Bryan

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Welcome to the board. I like in Lakewood and if it gets really cold then I just put bed sheets over my plants. I have done different things, like putting them all under the patio but do much better if I just leave them in the open and watch to see if any branches are rotting and cut them off then. I do put them close together but that might be because I am running out of room. LOL Barb

9 years ago

Bump ...

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

You have a great start to your collection. For cold days I have used sheets, Plankets, incandescent Christmas Lights, and when cold and wet I have topped off with a Tarp or plastic garbage bag to help waterproof.

• Bryanf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the great info and I'll keep it all in mind when temps start to get lower and rain comes...If it ever comes.

I was looking at average temps in the area for the last few years and it seems it's low 50's high 40's which is not to bad. I keep all the plants in containers so if need be they can go in the garage with a small heater.

I also put an order in with JL so we should have three Plumerias arriving next week and one I'm super excited to get, little pricey but hopefully they will be worth it next spring.

Bryan

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I always use a thermal break between concrete floors and the container during winter storage. It can be anything from old office space ceiling tiles to a doubled up piece of cardboard. Just something non conductive that prevents the chill from getting into the soil and roots.

• Bryanf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kms2,

This is actually something I never thought about and I'm glad you brought up. I would think that during the winter months that would be probably the main concern along with over watering. I'm fairly new at this but cold concrete constantly in contact for three months sounds like it could cause issues possibly. I have rubber mats that I think will suffice if needed during the winter months and I'll keep them on stand-by.

Bryan

9 years ago

Bryan,

Wooden pallets work great too! As long as air is circulating under the container ... Keeps the roots at the air temp instead of the cool concrete!!

I keep them off of the concrete too!!

Good luck!!

Laura

• Bryanf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura,

We have wine crates that would work if we did that.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions