Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

Matt and 1-Stop...

sflgplume
11 years ago

I really don't frequent 1-Stop Aloha's eBay listings lately, mostly because I am soooo completely out of space...but, I DID take a peek yesterday...and was very surprised to see the indications from Matt that the JL cuttings may become unavailable?!? What what?!? But I don't have them all yet! (Joking...mostly...)

So, I'm wondering if one of you vets out there can help me understand what this means for our future as collectors...I gather that Matt won't be selling for Jim on eBay any longer. Why, though, the warning that Jim's exclusive cultivars might disappear from plumie-commerce altogether?

Not asking to get up in anyone's personal business...I am just confused. Can any of you enlighten?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (27)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey Greg,

Matt posted on his Facebook wall regarding JL. According to Matt he will have access and be selling JL's stuff for the 9 or 10 days, after that he will ending his venture with him. Matt also stated that Jim had mentioned that he may not be selling via Ebay anymore, that he may limit to whom and what he sells other then wholesale customers.

Matt also keeps on posting about "Bulk orders" that will be cutting down all his trees and selling off the cuttings and some rooted plants. I also heard a rumor not via Matt that he maybe moving back to the Mainland.

So if your into Matts stuff or JL's stuff you may want to contact him directly, or buy off of Ebay as the season is almost at its end.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

This is sad... We love Matt! Along with the JL trees...

Laura

• angela_socal
    11 years ago

I just recently found Matt on Facebook and wasn't sure about buying from him, but it sounds like everyone does love his cuttings.

His most recent post does say that he is done there, wants to move back to Socal in March/April and has 300 trees to cut and sell off?? Is trying to sell bulk though.

Guess I better start saving my money!!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

To make it easier here is a copy and paste of Matts last post on FB:

"So I'll be cutting all my trees down to the ground....rooting some and most for bulk orders. I'm looking for bulk buyers and one person that wants to buy all the rooted stock that is left next year. I will be selling through March or so and then I'd like to sell next years rooted stock all to one person. Maybe 900 plus plants. Hoping to find a buyer here in Hawaii but open to all offers. Thank you!"

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Oh and here is a reply Matt posted to the above post on FB:

"No that is a rented space which was one of the many things keeping me here as there are other people with time and money to worry about. I just simply can't stand it here anymore so I honesty can't hold out much longer. I'm planning for March so I can get these sold to a buyer right in time for Plumeria season. Plus, have over 300 trees that I need to cut and try to sell off. Much to do."

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Well maybe Doug at MPG will buy it all up. ive never dealt with Matt since I closed my Ebay and Paypal accounts long ago. But from what I understand he is a solid seller. Sounds like Matt and Jim may be at a cross roads on whatand or how to sell things.

In a reply as to why Jim wants to stop/or limit selling a certain kind.
    "Well Aimee/Hetty a totally agree which is why we keep bumping heads."

who am I to assume. I would like to get some JL plants though.

Mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

So, we need to all pitch in and buy the stock! Or move to Hawaii and start a plumeria nursery.....

I understand, my ex couldn`t stand living on the islands, he had bad rock fever. So we moved back to Galveston and he rarely if ever drove off this little island!! What a potatohead, which is why he is the ex-Mr. Tally LOL!
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tally, I'm in! Barbra

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh wow that's a bummer!

We should all buy them together somehow. What 900 plants with 30 of us... that gives us each 30 plants soo doable! Let's go people! LOL

• nativec
    11 years ago

I too learned of this news this weekend through FB. I'm glad that James shared it. I've purchased from Matt for quite some time and I can only say that it saddens me. Both the loss of Matt's offerings and the unknown when it comes to JL varieties. I think its a loss across the board. It killed me to read that Matt would be cutting the trees to the ground.

I've already picked up a JL Supernova and am awaiting the replacement JL Golden Pagoda. Its disappointing to think that these could be my last JL cuttings :(Because you know I have a WISH LIST! :)

It case everyone decides to pack up and run to HI, I'm in!!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Natiec
    Even if Matt and Jim no longer offer cuttings there are so many people and nurseries that have them that I am sure you will be able to find them. Part of the reason JL wants to stop selling via Ebay is it cuts into his wholesale business when Home growers start selling his stuff it effects the nursery resale businesses.

So I am sure if you go to a Plumeria Society Cutting sale or know someone who has a ton of JL stuff you can always get it. JL still sells direct to his old customers who had been buying from him back in the day and received his updated price list he sent out every year..I am still able to buy direct but who knows when he cuts us off also....
    Cheers

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

James,

Do you know who are the wholesalers Jim sell to? Maybe we still can buy from them?

I can't buy cuttings anyway so no reason for me to start now since I will just kill them all. Additionally, I thought it's too late to root cuttings now, so why is everyone buying them? I'm so confused!

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

James,

I do appreciate the info. I understand that things change, it's not the end of the world...but I can't help thinking that those of us waaaay over here in Florida won't have the access in the future to Jim's trees that you lucky Californians will. I'm pretty sure that, for instance, when Brad sells a JL cultivar, he gets it by way of Dr. K in Thailand...but the inner workings are way beyond me.

I'll just hope that I'll be able to buy them in the future should I want to...and I pro'ly will want to...LOL

Thanks,
    Greg

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I would love to order some of his groups of 15 cuttings.
    I just can not make myself pay $49-99 for cuttings. Ouch!
    30 plants are doable! We can do it like a coop.

Tally HO!

• nativec
    11 years ago

James- I knew you'd have an answer. I may come knocking at your door in Spring....LOL I'm with Greg in that the inner workings are beyond me.

Greg-if I can say you always have the most positive spin on everything. You're like the Zen Master...LOL

• plumie_girl
    11 years ago

No worries. This is the connection I got while in Oahu for JL's Nursery and if you contact Kara she will send you a catalogue:

JIM LITTLE
    NURSERY & FARM

ORDERS MAY BE PLACED BY EMAIL TO KARA AT:
    KGorgonio@gmail.com
    or by calling 808-255-8474

Our minimum charge per order is $25, before
    shipping charges.
    Orders are normally shipped within 7-10 business
    days from the date they are received.
    The product you are receiving is a healthy living
    plant.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I also know that BJN Exotics in FL sells J.L. plumeria. Not sure of there contact info but if you google BJN Exotics you will find them. Also, there listings on there website do not show all the plumeria that they sell.

I myself have been in contact with Nikki(the N in BJN...lol!) and she told me that the J.L. varieties I am interested in she carries. I am waiting on an 'Heirloom' from her right now. Yes. I know it isn't a J.L. variety but still a winner in my book.

Andrew

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Actually anywhere there is a Plumie Society you will find JL's stuff being sold, again mostly by home growers who are society members that sell. Texas seems to have the most followed by CA. Brad, Hetty and other get their stuff from many sources Matt, Society sales, Individuals etc. I know that Becky Sue on MPG was selling a lot of her JL stuff and she was one of Hawaii Sandys best customers. I know Sonia has some of JLs stuff also and sells along with Gabby aka Luvplumies on MPG. Others only sell locally and at Society Sales like Doug Jones and Irene Jones. Bud Guillot and also Emmerson have a lot of JLs stuff, more the standards not the exotics.

As for whole sale customers I am not sure who they are anymore as JL use to sell to Luc at Florida Colors before their falling out, Teas nursery in TX that closed, etc. Jim also sells internationally, heard that is where most of his orders go outside the country...

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info Plumie Girl. Here's the e-listing I received from Kara. It says a website is coming soon. Not sure what the parenthesis with inches listed under plants are...? Not many listed.

{{gwi:1214675}}

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Update per Matts fb page
    he plans to keep the nursery open and run it from the mainland. He has someone he is training to take care of the plants, do the cuttings and shipping.
    He states he and JL are not parting ways on bad terms, they had agreed to end it some time back and were going to finish the year out.
    Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

elucas101: Thanks for that wonderful listing! I imagine that number is the flower size in inches.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Andrew,
    Thanks so much for the info on BJN in Florida! I got a reply from Nikki and I was so thrilled to read that she will able to get ahold of Richard Criley Rainbow and JL Grace for me. Both are extremely rare dwarf varieties that I've been having really difficult time finding for purchase.
    Dar

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Also, it's good to hear Matt will not be closing up shop! I just won a Penang Peach from him and can't wait for it. I have a friend that has ordered from him before and I always hear great things about him, so it's nice to know a we'll continue to have a good quality vendor.
    Dar

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I don't find a listing for BJN Exotics in florida when I googled it.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Hi Minderella,

I spelled it wrong, it's BNJ Exotics.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bnjexotics.com/

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Does anyone have a complete list of JL varieties? Having ordered quite a few cuttings from Matt, I assumed that there was many more JL's in my collection than what there actually is.

I guess I['m really tired because this whole thing about Matt leaving Hawaii, not selling for JL any longer, closing shop, not closing shop... well it has really gotten on my last nerve! LOL

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

What cuttings did you buy Mona?

Hey at least I know to stay away from cuttings although I'm tempted.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!