Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria obtusa 'Dwarf Singapore Pink' over-winter in north

Posted by jackied164 z6 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 23:37

Does anyone know if this plumeria that I bought from Logee's this spring can be forced into dormancy to over-winter here in the north? It is a nice little plant that has been flowering very nicely for me in the first year. I kept it inside by my sunniest window until putting it out in early July and it developed its inflorescence. I could put it back here but would rather try the dormancy route.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria obtusa 'Dwarf Singapore Pink' over-winter in north

I am pretty new to growing plumeria, but I do know that any Singapores cant be forced into dormancy, the only thing that I do know is that it will probobly kill it. If I were you, I would keep it in front of your sunniest window, that way you wont have to worry about it dying and it will grow larger and bloom more!

o

Last year was my first overwintering my plumerias and I had 1 dwarf singapore and another unnamed plumeria. I didnt really have good light in my apt, so I was planning on letting it go dormant. As soon as it got to freezing outside, I brought them in for good and let them alone, didn't water and just let them be. Around february, I did have to defoliate the plant, because I was worried that it had gotten a fungus, but come summer it woke up and didnt seem fazed. In my experience, it isnt too hard to overwinter and let them go dormant, and it works to leave the leaves on or defoliate. Cutting the leaves off does cut down on bugs/possible fungusnes, but as andrew said, it will definitely have a head start in the spring if you are able to leave the leaves on. Good luck!

o

Last winter I put most my DSPs in the garage with the rest of the plumeria. I defoliated them first. The garage stays above freezing. Come spring I pulled them out with the rest and fed and watered them and away they went. No problem. I left my largest outside on a covered patio. It lost most its leaves but was hardy at about 30F (measured in the yard) about 6 times for about 6-8 hrs ea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here