Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Hilo Beauty, too late for this inflo to bloom in So Cal?

mjhuntingtonbeach
10 years ago

I got a cutting of Hilo Beauty two years ago. It barely rooted the first summer (took all summer to root), last year I moved it up too quickly into a 5 gallon and the roots rotted and I had to re-root in a 1 gallon starting in August. This year it took off and is now a big 9 branch tree. One branch set off an inflo from the start of the season and it has been blooming for about 8 weeks. Now, another two branches are starting to send off inflos, but I'm not sure if even here in So Cal there is time to see flowers before dormancy. I've even started noticing my plants dropping leaves so I suspect winter will be here early.

So, So Cal growers, any thoughts about whether or not I will see more blooms?

Comments (23)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tree

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Mike,
    If the weather stays warm, or there is a late heat wave it should bloom last week of Oct or a bit earlier. If it is in a pot bring it in by a window and it should bloom through November or so.

Congrats

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Existing flowers... impossible to capture that deep dark red color....

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Up close. I tried to take photos during the day but the red was washed out. At dusk I can almost capture it.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks James, I'm wondering if a heat wave is in the picture. All of a sudden I've been noticing a feeling in the air here by the coast, everything is damp with cold moisture from the marine layer in the morning. My Pretty Princess is looking more faded this week, specks of bacterial rot speckling the flower petals. But late September and October are known for some heat at times, so fingers crossed. :-)

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Mj,
    it looks like you got spider mites on the leaves. Spray to get rid of them before storing for the winter.

George

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

you should have plenty of time as many flower into December in So. Calif.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

MJ, I brought my blooming Hilo Beauty inside in November, and it surprised me by continuing to bloom through mid January.

This presented a sight I thought I'd never see - a red plumeria blooming next to a red poinsettia!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow that's so awesome! I think you should be fine too or at least I hope so for I'm still getting some activities over here as well.

Hilo Beauty is gorgeous! Hopefully mine will bloom next year or so.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George,

I looked at the leaves up close, not seeing any signs of spider mites. What clued you in that that might be an issue?

Here is So Cal most of my plumies stay outdoors year round. I might take a few of my new acquisitions purchased late this summer in 1 gallons and a few newly rooted plants into the garage for the winter to avoid possible rot from the cold rains but most will do just fine outdoors. So generally I let Mother Nature take care of pests and since I don't use insecticides except on a VERY occasional basis, or fungicides, I seem to have a flora and fauna out there that make most insect problems minimal.

And Simidude, wow, you inspired me. I never thought of it but Hilo Beauty makes a beautiful addition to the holiday decoration for Xmas. I will definitely have to bring it indoors before it gets cold and damp enough to cause it to drop leaves and go dormant.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Mj,
    those specs of white on the leaves on both sides of the central rib is damage from spider mites. Get a magnifying glass and look at the older leaves. You will see them crawling around.

George

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, although it is rapidly losing its leaves to dormancy, the late season inflo on my Hilo Beauty started blooming last week, and several more inflos are on the way that I am pretty certain will not bloom, but promises good things for next year :)

First, pictures I took this morning, November 16:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another from this morning

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was Friday Nov 15

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These will sadly probably not bloom but look very healthy

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely won't see blooms off these

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

too small

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another inflo I've been waiting for for a couple of months, the only inflo I had on my J105 this year. It was suffering from underpotting last year and has spent all season getting established where I planted it in the ground and finally started blooming on one inflo the past week, pictures are from November 12. There are three other inflos on the same tree doing the same late season tease, but next year should be great :)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

final picture with its neighbor, TLD

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures MJ. I am amazed they are still blooming- exciting though! ;)

Chuy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!!

They all look gorgeous... You are so lucky to have your trees outside!!!

I had one bloom left on my Hilo Beauty! Thanks from a Friend of a friend. ;-)
    It is all potted up and on a heat mat.

I hope your heat continues for all of you and I just love the idea of using red Plumeria for the holidays.. ( looks great, George!!). ;-)

Awesome!!!

Great job, Mike!

Laura

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath