Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

The changing faces of Sangwan Tabtim

mjhuntingtonbeach
10 years ago

This was one of my first acquisitions about 5 years ago. The online picture made it look like deep pink umbrellas, very unique looking round flower.

The first flowers were nothing like what I expected, faded, mostly white with a bit of pink/white edging, that was about it. Last year I moved the pot to a sunny location and once it got used to it, it started blooming during a heat wave. WOW, bright pink colors,still didn't quite look like the picture but I was happy with it.

This year I repotted and it dragged until just recently. The few flowers it had were washed out off white mostly. Then as the heat of late summer hit, I got more colors although none as bright as last year's hot pinks. I also learned the trick of folding back the petals slightly to get that "umbrella" look. All in all, a nice flower, and I am hoping for a better show next year.

First, here are some of the blooms from the "hot pink" phase last year.

Comments (23)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now pictures from this weekend, tail end of some warm weather so still some colors but not the deep pinks of last year.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yet another

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last picture.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here, a few weeks ago ... much lighter

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

but a few days of heat later....

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! I love all the color changes! What a great tree!!

Mark

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Great pictures!! Beautiful blooms and change of color and "umbrella" look!
    ;-)

Chuy

• pcput
    10 years ago

I love the way it changes mjhuntingtonbeach ! It's a real beauty!
    What kind of scent does it have?
    Thanks for sharing her with us.
    Peg

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Peg,

Sadly, this, along with my Typhoon and Pretty Princess have beautiful flowers but hardly any scent at all. I guess you can't have everything.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi mike!!!

Can you email me please . I can't find your email. Have a message for you.

Thanks!!

Lmjusa@yahoo.com

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I'm with Mark... what a great tree!!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,

Strange, I thought I had my email address in here as available to members. In any event, sent you an email.

Mike

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Is this the same plant aka Sang Wal Tab Tim aka J115 aka JJ Super Round? Looks just like the Super Round I got from Jungle Jack's. It is a complete chameleon in appearance depending on the temperature. Almost white in cool temperatures, starts splashing with color as it warms up, and then almost all dark red in midsummer heat. The picture in the JJ catalog is really dark because all his pictures were taken in Thailand. Pretty plant whatever you call it!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have seen this plant referred to as both Sangwan Tabtim and Sangwal Tabtim, and have seen others connect it to J115 and JJ Super Round, so I suspect there is some truth to what you say. And I agree, it is definitely a chameleon, faded almost all white when cool, some splash as it warms, and then I get a warming into soft pastels of yellow and pink and then hot pink when very warm. Here in So Cal by the coast it never really gets HOT, so I suspect I will never seen the deep reddish pink color in this one unless I move to a warmer clime. The very first flowers I got off this one were during early September, warm but not hot and it had the streaking you mentioned. Then later in the month as temperatures cooled, it went to almost white, and it wasn't until last year that I saw the pink tones. See my first post on this one below.

Any idea what the name means in Thai? I just saw a website in Chinese with pictures of the flower in its deep reddish pink mode and the words "Lilac Cloud" in English. I have seen "tabtim" in other plumeria names from Thailand, maybe that is "cloud"?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg090035237238.html

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, still changing colors on its last blooms of the season. Here is what it looked like today on several different inflos, colors despite the cooling weather - first picture:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another inflo:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and yet another

10 years ago

Simply beautiful, Mike!

Laura

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura, so I hear all your plants have gotten hair cuts and put away for the winter? That's sad, but a part of the ebb and flow of the seasons I guess.

Mike

10 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

.... It is a sad time giving the haircuts to so many!!! Most are done, but I have about twenty that will stay as is. We shall see how they shut down naturally. They will stay around my T-5 lights all winter with some of my other plants.

All of my trees are still outside.. Even the ones with haircuts. The temps are still warm during the day and then it drops just a bit.. Not low enough to bri g them in yet, but like I mentioned, I don't want to be running around like a wild animal especially if the hubby witnesses my out of control behavior ;-)

I came home for a trip to see my main . Beauty.. Hawaiian fire tipped over o. The deck with a beautiful inflo Attached. Can you believe how well I did with that? I didn't want to run over to it, But I graciously walked to see what had happen Ed.. I picked her up and noticed no limbs broken...so I was alright.,,

It seems as if I started early prepping for winter here at the beach, but I'm just afraid of getting behind and then losing some due to frost or even black tip. Knock on wood... I haven't had it nor do I ever want to see it!!!

Hope you are well and enjoying this beautiful Indian summer ...

I know you and your trees are loving it in Cali!!!

Take care and keep the pics coming.. Sangwan Tabtim is a beauty!!!

My DH and I are planning a trip to go and spend time in /South Beach for three days and then we will drive to Florida colors and meet .Carol and Tex... I have an idea of what I'm looking for, but I have to remember that I am flying !! I know, it hasn't stopped me. Before then Dow. To the keys for three night looking for shells and tasty drinks ,..and Of course the fresh seafood !

I heard Jap Lanterns is down there and Emerson might hook me up with her..yes ".

Take care

LAURA

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 0:09

• plucrazy
    10 years ago

I ordered one from Brad's B&B last year and it bloomed this September. I didn't have a lot of blooms but they were nice, then it branched four ways and continued to grow. To my amazement, I noticed an inflo on one of the branches after just about 8 inches of growth. It has already bloom since without all the waiting and come on already. I can't beleve it. It is a great plant and beautiful colors. Clara

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Clara,

Yes, it is an amazing tree, mine is compact, branches well, and now that it has been repotted and root pruned this year, which set it back some, I expect next year it will do great. Enjoy yours.

Laura,

Wow, your Hawaiian Fire took a tumble but was no worse for wear? That would definitely put a feeling of dread in my stomach.

And yes, here, less prep work to do for winter, some of mine are still busy blooming away, like my Pretty Princess and a few others.

Enjoy the trip to Florida, I suspect you won't go home empty handed ;)

Mike

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm