Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Plumerias in the Punchbowl

the_first_kms2
11 years ago

Many of us know of the Dean Conklin Plumeria grove but I have never heard anyone talk about the Plumerias in the Punchbowl Memorial. I thought I would share some pictures of the Plumerias in the National Memorial Cemetary of the Pacific AKA the Punchbowl. This may seem odd to go there and take pictures of trees but please consider these trees were planted as a living tribute and are beautifully kept and maintained out of respect and honor for those memorialized.

Along the entrance.

looking down the Memorial Steps towards Diamond head in the distance.

{{gwi:1215137}}

I took this picture merely to show the profusion of flowers and later realized the Marker is for a Soldier of the 100th Infantry Battalion 442nd Infantry Regiment, the Neisi Regiment. A unit of primarily of Hawaiian Japanese Americans who helped liberate North Africa, Italy and Southern France. They are the most decorated Infantry Regiment in US History.

Inside each of the small courtyards dedicated by service branch showing names of the roughly 30,000 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines never found in the Pacific (including Korea and soon to include Southeast Asia).

Despite the construction it is a beautiful place and I would encourage you to take some time to visit the Punchbowl if in Honolulu.

Comments (14)

• Richard
    11 years ago

ahhhh plumeria heaven.. I miss island life

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

K,

As i was arriving into Honolulu, i saw this magical crater. We took a turn around the crater so we could line up and i told my hubby that i wanted to visit that place. I didn't know the name of "Punch Bowl" at the time, but i did my homework amd i made it a point to visit. They usually have a WWII veteran there to answer any questions.

I would advise anyone to visit this precious memorial for those lost during the war..many were never retrieved by their families, so they are resting here in Punch Bowl This is a very sacred place and you can feel how special this place is when you visit..

Thanks for the pics..

I love Punch Bowl Crater!!!

Take Care,

Laura

• angela_socal
    11 years ago

Wow, great pictures.. I will add it to my list!!
    Thanks for sharing!

• pcput
    11 years ago

WOW ! I want to be buried there. If I ever get to Hawaii I'll be sure to look it up. Peg

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I remember being overwhelmed by the cemetary, so many, many young people. Really makes you think how terrible war is.

I love visiting cemetaries, Hawaii has some gorgeous ones, but this one always made me sad and melancholy.
    Tally HO!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the history and pictures.
    Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I want to be buried there too. Its just beautiful, how the blooms just fall on the stones. I want to go to Hawaii and see with my own eyes. Maybe for our 40th wedding anniversary, we will go. Barbra

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

These are so wonderful!

I went to Honolulu in 2006. Back then the only thing I knew about Plumeria was that they made a Lei out of them. Knowing what I know now about them really make me want to return and actually enjoy the tree that I just passed by as another tree.

Thanks for the photos.

mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW, just WOW. Incredibly beautiful and touching pictures - the one of the blooms on the grave marker is VERY poignant, I love it.

I am proud that it is so well maintained and cared for.

Although not in that era, my father was in the navy and stationed on Oahu. I've been to the Pearl Harbor Memorial but not the Punchbowl - I would love to see it in person.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Uh-mazing photos, K! OMG, I will have to visit there when we go. What a sublime place to contemplate our veterans. Just lovely.

Thanks for posting those, and for the historical tidbits, K!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

What are those incredible orange blooming trees in the sixth photo??? They are toward the back edge of the property? Those can't be plumerias. ...are they??

And the red ones (in close up), are those a named cultivar??

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Incredible! I will definitely have to go see. Especially if I can meet a WWII vet! I am fascinated with WWII so this would be an awesome experience.

Thank you for posting that.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The orange blooms are Bouganvilla and the Plumeria with red flowers are fairly common. I have heard them called "Hawaii Dark Red" and are perhaps a Hilo Beauty seedling (per one grower I spoke with). The flower petals are very thick and long lasting but I could not describe the faint scent. It had large/thick branches and the leaf margins have a reddish tint.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

wow, lovely, thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH