Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WOW, so this what heat does to color intensity

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach CA 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 0:00

As you all have heard, California had a very cool summer, atypically so. Here on the coast it was practically spring coolness all summer.

I had a J4 that managed to bloom quite a bit, it's first time for me, and one of the few to bloom in the cool weather. I was very happy with the light golden yellow blooms. Best to hope for in a summer that rarely got over 70. Well, last week a heat wave set in culminating with weekend highs in the 90's, nights in the low 70's, with the final blast on Monday with a high of around 103 here on the coast, unheard of normally.

So I fianny had my one chance to see the effect of temperature on color intensity, now quickly passing on as normal to cooler temps are back, days 69-75 ish, nights soon to drop below 60. Never knew what I was missing.

J4 under cool dreary conditions most of this summer, not blooming until late August:

Photobucket

Photobucket

9-1-10 J-4

J4 on heat steroids.... what a difference 20 - 25 degrees makes:

9-30-10 J4

Photobucket

Photobucket

9-29-10

Photobucket

9-28-10 J4

9-27-10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WOW, so this what heat does to color intensity

Wow! There you go!

o

absolutely beautiful plant.

o

That looks like a nice compact plumeria. Does it have a name?

o
The variety is, I think, J4

Dave,

I bought two cuttings from two different sources in 2008. Both ended up having identical flowers and growth habits. I bought one separately, end of season bargain with roots which had an odd name I haven't seen since ("Multiple Gold"). I bought three others a few months earlier, including one called "J4". I bought a J105 and an Irma 5 at the same time from the same grower as I bought the J4, and both bloomed true to form, as did the one tagged J4. So I am convinced that this larger one must be the same as the J4 I got from the first grower (both Thai growers via Ebay, btw).

o

That is a fantastic series of photos on color intensity. Thanks for posting it.

I had to show my hubby (not a plant guy!) and even he was amazed that it was the same flower. (I'll convert him yet.)

The ones third from the bottom almost look like Kimo. Beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here