Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sulpomag and Pets?

Posted by hannah82 9b SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 0:22

Hello!

I bought a box of sulpomag to fertilize our in-ground plumeria but have some reservations on applying it because of the possible health risks it may have on our two outdoor cats. I planned on topdressing (up to 3 cups and then well watered-in) with sulpomag vs. tilling only because the ground is rock hard and near impossible to till. As any cat owners will know, cats groom their fur and paws constantly and I fear they could ingest or get some of the sulfur in their eyes after hanging around the fertilized area. I was told that it takes about 2 weeks for the stuff to start breaking down and penetrating into the soil and that sulfur can be very harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the mucus membranes in the eyes. I'm not sure how concentrated sulfur is in sulpomag but I want to know if I have a real cause for concern here. Thank you all for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sulpomag and Pets?

I don't know the quantities are significant enough to cause problems but I am not experienced in the use of Sulpomag. In the absence of direct knowledge; is it possible to set up some sort of temporary barrier? Not much will stop a cat that wants to get into something but normally you can unmotiviate them from going to that specific spot.

o

What info I could find online suggests it should be Alright to use this product, if used properly. However, I've never used this product myself. :) So I cannot speak from personal knowledge. Just from researching it.

~Tina

o

You could also use a sprinkler head with a motion sensor. It turns on when there is movement in front of te sensor and turns off within 1 or 2 seconds.

They are sensitive enough to pick up a cat at distances less than 15 feet.

o

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions and advice!

So far I'm leaning towards the temporary barrier idea; it'll keep those curious paws and noses from the treated area. Maybe plastic tarp weighted down with a few heavy rocks should do the trick? The plumeria canopy keeps the root zone pretty shaded so hopefully I won't inadvertently solarize the soil underneath.

Thanks again everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here