Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hortigal

New to plumies

hortigal
9 years ago

I'm very happy to have come across this forum and have read many of the posted messages. Have been gardening for many years but this is my first shot at growing plumeria.
A friend and I ordered cuttings from Hawaii which came and were quite large, multi-tipped and thick.
These are the steps I followed when planting the cuttings - used clear plastic juice bottles with drainage holes and mix of cactus mix with perlite - wet bottom 1 inch of calloused cutting and dipped into rooting hormone and placed 2 inches into soil - used rubber bands to hold the cutting secure - covered the top with saran wrap - placed cuttings on heat mat.
This was on 12 September so just over 6 weeks ago. My question is about the stems. They appear to be wrinkling.
I think they are beginning to root because the top of the cuttings turned brighter green than the bottom and little claws are starting to appear. Even though I used clear bottles there is a coffee filter in the bottom because I was worried about moist soil in contact with the heat pad.
Is it normal for the cutting stems to get wrinkles?
Should I be misting them? Perhaps a humidifier?
This is all inside the house with grow lights as it is already much too cold here for tropical plants outside.
In case the varieties make a difference they are: Guillot's Sunset, Lei Rainbow, Pele's Pink, Jean Moragne, Royal Hawaiian and Samoan Fluff.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so excited to grow these plants and don't want to mess up.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio