Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archades

Frangipani Callous

archades
9 years ago

Was just wondering how this frangipani cutting is going. This is about a week after cutting with a fresh utility knife blade (the break off style sharp ones). Even with that it was pretty hard to cut through, but it did make a clean cut at the start mostly although that middle ring? was weird to cut. Was flat when cut too, now it has that inner ring raised as a lil ridge.

I couldn't find any photos of what the completed callous looks like, does anyone have any? Not sure what to look for to know when it's ready to plant.

Also wondering on a good cutting raising soil. I have access to a lot of medium grade perlite, some bluemetal rocks screened at 10mm and some more at 20mm, potting mix, etc.

Comments (8)

• phalanx_viridis
    9 years ago

Your callous looks great! Nice job! The swelling is normal and will continue as the cutting increases cell production in the region to begin root formation; keep up what you're doing and give it another week minimum before potting up.

The longer you callous the less chance of rot, generally.

-stephen

• archades
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is yesterday, about 3 weeks. Is this the final callous look? Ready to pot now?

• lbinupland_zone_9
    9 years ago

I can't say if it's ready to pot, just based on the callus?

What I can say, in my experience is that there is not a lot to be gained by planting now, versus waiting until spring.

I wandered around for several years without much luck on cuttings. I think because I didn't pay attention to the growing cycle and the dormancy?

What I do now is wait for the leaves to drop, which all of mine are in the process of doing, right now, in progress.

Then, I take a critical eye to conformation and prune where it enhances the appearance of the donor plant.

Then, I gather the cuttings in groups so that I know what they are, before they bloom, which could be two years distant?

I stack them in the shed and forget about them until March or April when I plant them in potting soil, usually Miracle Grow.

My success rate is (a guess?) about 80%. It would be higher... but I have one that requires a lot of pruning and is by far the least successful; Scott Pratt. It's also my largest specimen, over eight ft. tall and many, multi branched and (unfortunately) frost sensitive. As they say; it is what it is.

I have other clippings that almost never have a failure, but this one, (dark maroon flower) is not a sure thing, for me? LB

• phalanx_viridis
    9 years ago

Yes, good advice LB.

Archades your callous looks great and the cutting should survive until next season if it is stored in a warm, dry place. I like my callouses to look a little more swollen and undulated before potting them. You could pot it, but not much will happen before next season and you run the risk of it rotting. If it were my cutting and it came from a healthy, well-hydrated tree, I would wrap the cut end in saran wrap and rubber band it to reduce moisture loss through the cut end. I like this method because I can keep an eye on the callous end while not running much risk for rot.

If you have the setup for rooting over winter you could try potting it but, again, not much will happen before next season...if you are in Australia or the southern hemisphere, then get it rooting with your preferred method.

Good luck! And keep us posted!

=stephen

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Archades, are you in the Antipodes by chance? If so you're fine to root now as the callus looks good.

• archades
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in Far North Queensland, Australia. Nearing summer, and max temps are 32-33C this week, minimum 20-21C

• archades
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if we get a true winter here? Coldest we ever get is 5 celcius at night, 16-18ish in the daytime, usually 12ish at night. I live in the wet tropics of Australia, where funnily enough it's currently in a very weird drought, grass is dead and hasn't rained much for 4+months but we usually get 4M of rain per year.

By season do you mean spring to autumn? and will they go dorment here in our hot climate during winter?

• jandey1
    9 years ago

When you said "frangipani" I figured you might be an Aussie :)

Yes, the season is spring to fall and most will go dormant over winter, even if it's mild.

Is that 4 meters of rain a year? That's pretty impressive!