Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

blue!? and purple!? flowers!

sbrow156
11 years ago

So i was on ebay looking at cuttings and I found someone selling blue frangipani cuttings ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUTTING-OF-PLUMERIA-7-12-INCHES-HAVE-ROOTED-BLUE-HAWAI-WITH-CERTIFICATED-/251169169095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a7ad95ec7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUTTING-OF-PLUMERIA-7-12-INCHES-HAVE-ROOTED-CHELSEA-WITH-CERTIFICATED-/251169169512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a7ad96068

and purple..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUTTING-OF-PLUMERIA-7-12-INCHES-HAVE-ROOTED-SKY-VIOLET-WITH-CERTIFICATED-/251169169801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a7ad96189

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUTTING-OF-PLUMERIA-7-12-INCHES-HAVE-ROOTED-VIOLET-V-WITH-CERTIFICATED-/251169171815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3a7ad96967

They have alot of wierd and wacky colours actually....blue and yellow and such...They all look beautiful but dont know how well to trust the seller. They have mostly positive feedback but dont seem to have alot so maybe a new seller? but the cuttings come with roots..anyway if anyone is willing to have a go and buy one to try out i would be very interested in seeing a pic of them bloom :)

Sarah

Comments (17)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

one word...PHOTOSHOP.

i would run away as fast as you can.

With all the knowledgeable and long time growers/collectors here, I promise as soon as a legit blue/purple shows up it will get confirmed here and be offered at one of our preferred sellers.

Mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mike's right: absolute chicanery. I saw someone selling "rainbow" rose seeds, too, from flowers that were so obviously dyed or photoshopped it was ridiculous. Still, people must be buying them somewhere.

There are some legitimate lavenders/light purples being bred but I would buy those form legit sources like Jungle Jack's or Florida Colors.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

here is a blue/pink Im about to release.

obviously Im just kidding around and not poking fun at you Sbrow

Just showing how easy it is to manipulate a photo. While there are some good Thai sellers this one and many others will send you a cutting and by the time you actually have it flower and realize its nothing like the photo they are gone and you are stuck with it.

Be sure you check the sellers feedback really study it.

Mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Agreed - and the feedback may not even reflect it because the customers haven't had it flower yet and don't know it's fake yet. After they start getting bad feedback they just start a new account.

I also agree, there are some lavenders but there are no bright purple or blues. I feel sorry for the people bidding on these because they are most certainly fraudulent.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this, Sarah!

I've seen those as well on eBay and wondered if it was true and why I hadn't seen them anywhere else...well now we know why! :)

-Robert

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I was one of those who bought "Blue Hawai". The pic looked great and the seller had great ratings. Only after I ordered did I learn there were no blue plumerias. And I realized that no reviews mentioned the open flowers (since it would take so long for even a rooted cutting to get any). Oh well. The plant is doing really well, whatever the heck it is! Can't wait to see what color the flower is (it won't be the first time I've gotten a bloom different from what the seller says it is!). I'll make sure to PhotoShop my pics of them, too, when I post them up on this site, just to go with the flow! :)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha yes thats what i thought. It would take so long to bloom that they would never get any bad feedback and probably close and start a new account by that time. Hence why they dont have much feedback on the account they are using at the moment. SimiDude definately have to post a pic when it blooms. Cant wait to see what it really does turn out like :D But yes photoshop pics are always fun too ;P

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

lol.. love it Sarah!!

Laura

• georgecc
    11 years ago

sbrow, is that the new Technicolor logo plumeria? :)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I'll post pics when it blooms. I have a lot of mystery blooms for next year. My Teresa Wilder just bloomed, and it's a Celadine. So maybe Blue Hawaii will be Teresa Wilder? Truly unlikely, but I can hope. Hey, my six foot Jeannie Moragne looks like it might be a Gina, if that's not unlikely... I was upset at first when I got 6 trees and a cutting from someone one Craigslist, and 4 of the trees and the cutting are something different from what was advertised. But now it's fun. I can't wait till they bloom to see what I have. But only because the seller may have been bad with names (really bad), but they did have really good taste!

Bummed my Blue Hawaii won't be blue, but hopefully it will be interesting. Maybe if I wish hard enough, it will bloom as a Haleakala? :)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha i dono i googled rainbow plumeria to get a funny photoshop picture and found that one :P I cant wait till my fruit salad blooms :) im abit worried about it at the moment coz one of the stems seemed to rot through and fall off? i cut it back abit hoping it will branch out again under the cut. We will see. The leaves have gone abit black and shrivelled from the sun...we had one really hot day and i think that effected it...my white and yellow is fine though...has a couple of broken leaves coz my partners dog bit it when it first arrived but now leaves them alone. (i dont think he liked the taste of the sap :P) I recon if you water a yellow and white with blue die in the water the flowers may come out yellow and blue ;P

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Sarah, lol! Great find. Please do post photos when yours bloom. We'll all be sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves and trying to fill the plumeria-shaped void in our lives while your season is in full bloom down under!

Simi, so you did have a Celadine after all? Oh, dear, that really was a mixed up seller, but at least they had good taste, as you say! If you have very sharp eyes and experience with lots of plumeria trees, you can start to tell them apart by growth habit and leaves, or at least tell when one doesn't look quite right for the label.

You can definitely tell when some are related to each other--I swear Dazzler and California Sally must be sisters they're so hard to tell apart--and these mix-ups are easier to avoid. But I think that takes years. You'll get there, George, with as much experience as you've gained this past season.

• pcput
    11 years ago

sbrow156, Good One! Looks just like a peacock. I want one of them if any one has one LOL. I guess with all the photo editing programs you could take a pedal off five different ones and put them together. Wouldn't that be an awesome bloom. I know Brad has a blue as he was selling seeds from it so it won't be long. Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

If I want blues I'll grow Hydrangeas...oh and then watch them wither away in the mid June Texas Sun (if they even made it that far).

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh i love Hydrangeas. But we have never had any luck growing them either :(

Sarah

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Jandey, looks like I have two genuine Celadines now, and three tall, pink tinged, good looking cousins of Celadine! Thanks. I look forward to the day I can tell things from the leaves, but I am trying to become more perceptive. It's been a good year, fraudulent blue plumeria and all. I've got 40 cuttings in the sunroom, and I check on them several times a day, learning all I can, and I wake up every day and tour the yard first. Ironically, my blue hydrangeas are doing well, it's the other colors that aren't doing so great. Maybe I'll rename one Blue Hawaii!

• lanilani
    10 years ago

I have many of these which were all the same white bloom and yellow center. Tried reporting this crooked Thai seller to Ebay as they have over 16 different seller IDs but they won't do a darned thing. They told me to have experts report every individual item as fraud and as the picture being altered. If anyone can I'd appreciate it. Below is a link to just one of the seller IDs and I can provide the rest

Here is a link that might be useful: All photo shopped rip offs