Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

What still looking good in the patch.

Kimo
11 years ago

The weather has been so random in So Cal the past couple of weeks. Its been low 70s this past week during the day and mid to low 60s at night and rain.

Went to the patch today and took pics of inflos that still look good or just started blooming:

Orange Jack from JJ's just blooming:

Daisy Wilcox just saw her blooming as she is crammed in the middle of a bunch of plants:

Aurora Borealis:

Gloria Schmidt:

Wild still blooming like crazy, lighter color:

CA Sally:

Bill Morange Still blooming, same inflo from June still going strong:

Ammarons Curly White:

Celadine blooms from the beginning till the end:

Comments (18)

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Continued~~
    Christina in cooler temps:

2 new Golden Pagoda Inflos no curl due to temps

I noticed after root pruning 65 percent of collection and using a new potting soil that a lot of the plumies I repotted did not bloom well:( Ill have to wait and see how they fair next season as I have to repot the rest of the plants. Happy Pre Halloween

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I picked up a rooted cutting of an Ammarons Curly White recently. I hope mine comes out as good as this one.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ACW grows like a weed and loves moisture. This pic was taken today and is not a good inflo as its cool. Here is a pic from summer:

Also ACW tends to attract Spider mites.

Actually Sariah's is a better performer.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Nice! Gloria Schmidt looks a lot like Lani. Does it have a fragrance?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Your plants are amazing! I really love the color and petal shape of Orange Jack. It's amazing that some of them have been blooming for months from the same inflo! Reason enough to leave inflos alone and let them naturally fall off I suppose. :)

-Robert

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Thanks. Yes Gloria can look a bit like Smiths Candy Apple/stipe or Lani or a few others depending. I got my Gloria from JL.

Robert
    A few plumie varities do have strong inflos that will keep on going like Bill Morange, Celebration, Mela Pa Bowman, Celadine, Samoan Fluff, etc. Its always good to leave inflos alone as it may also produce seed pods.
    Thanks

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

James, James,James...

How beautiful!!

Thank you for sending these beautiful blooms our way..

I have been starting the placement of the stripped containers in line for the "March Of The Plumeria.."

Tomorrow, we are expecting 80 degrees? What is going on?

By the weekend, the night time temps will drop into the 40's, so im getting them inside within the next three days.. I will have to post a pic of them in "formation" :-)

Love all of your pics.. So beautiful!!

Thanks for the nice lift tonight.. i needed this!!

Cheers! "Klink"

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Laura, us too! We have what I think of as Hawaiian weather right now: highs in the upper 80's, lows in the mid 70's and high humidity. My plants are loving it.

James, another awesome batch of blooms! Wildfire looks like the blooms never age; every one looks perfect. What would you say are the big differences between your Orange Jack and Desert Sunrise? They look like twins.

And Aurora--hubba, hubba! What a flower! That's also one of the best shots I've ever seen of Bill M. The PSA could sure use that on its reference site.

"I need more land" Jen

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi James,
    IS Orange Jack the same as JJ Orange? Awesome flower regardless but if it is different, then I will need to add this also! I truly am a sucker for orange plumeria!!

Thanks for posting the pics of Bill Moragne. It truly is an amazing bloomer. Not speaking from experience but every picture I see of it is amazing. I have heard that B. Moragne can have basketball sized inflos? Have you ever seen this on your tree?

After searching and searching for the past 2 seasons, I finally was able to get my Bill Moragne. Beverly picked one up for me at a PSA sale in Texas. That Bill Moragne is what I call an istant tree! Easily 2ft tall. No blooms yet but I am hopeful that it may surprise me with an inflo over the winter, if not then summer. I actually got 2 of these. I bought the second one from Hetty Ford. Much smaller but still a nice tree.

A.C.W. is another beauty! I don't have this but I do have Sariah Curly Pink. I love the petal shape of both. Your Christina looks really nice. Mine has finally opened it's first flowers. This was the first year it bloomed. I was very impressed with the colors of the flower but I know that it was because it was under my HPS light. The flower actually had streaks of dark pink, and 2nd and 3rd flower were half pink/purple, and then half deep yellow/orange!

MY Celadine just doesn't seem to be happy. IT bums me out because at 1 point I had 3 and I narrowed it down to just 1. I wish I would have never done it now because this one I have now is 2 years old and it never bloomed for me this year. I think it's time to replace it.

Thanks again for the pics James, and keep them coming!!

Andrew

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Very Nice. I am a fan of the big flowers of Cali Sally.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    Thanks so much. I hope your doing well? Hows your your new Grandson? The weather is crazy everywhere, going to be like summer this weekend for us starting Fri.

Hey Jen,
    Thanks!
    Orange Jack aka Joacks Orange aka JJs Orange and Desert Sunrise are siblings and they do look similar, to me I think DS is less Grainy for some reason. Gina and even J105 in cool temps looks similar to CA Sunset in heat. Even Firestorm has similarities to CA Sunset except FS has HUGE FLowers and has more color.

Andrew,

Hey hope your well. Orange Jack aka Jacks Orange aka JJ's Orange are the same plumies. For some reason JJ's plumies tend to get their names remixed like Purple jack Ive heard called Muang Jack and Jacks Purple so go figure but they are all the same. Because of the cooler night temps and sunlight the Orange Jack looks different this time of year as its just opening up.

As for Bill it is an amazing plumie as it is a profuse bloomer and the inflos keep on going love it.

If you have Sariahs you have the better of the 2.

Celadine for me is a weed, mine is a 2 story

KM2
    Ca Sally is a faorite adn thanks

• torqtjk
    11 years ago

Freak4plumerias, is your Orange Jack from JJ's the same variety as Paul Weissich, looks almost identical? Courious if JJ put his name on the same plant

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Torqjk,

Actually no they are not related or the same. Orange Jack has Round petals vs Paul that has more ovalish shaped petals. I have Paul W and the coloring in Paul W is no where as vibrant as Orange jack its almost Neon in person.
    Also here are examples of other JJs plumies that are similar"
    JJs Cs2 this is one of Sonia's pics of her Cs2

Orange Jack my pic

Sonias picture of Desert Sunrise....les grainy then Orange Jack

Again JJ's plumies are all siblings grown from Penang Peach seeds. You can really see the similarities you can see the family resemblance. Often people say you can never really get an ID on a plumie unless you get it from the source plant or reliable seller as there are many look a likes and depending on the persons eye. Usually if someone does try to ID a plumie you have to take into account growth habit, leaves, measurements, scents, even color of the bark/skin on branches and even that differs depending on where the plant was raised.

• torqtjk
    11 years ago

Very cool, all are so beautiful. Thanks for the reply.

Im heading down to JJ's this weekend to see if he has anything left over that I cant live without, any suggestions?

Im thinking:
    Cal Sunset (for the huge, long blooms)
    Firestorm
    or maybe
    Gina

Anythought on must haves?

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If your going to JJ's John will still have some amazing blooming plants. Seems like you lean towards the Orange flowers. Firestorm is HUGE and amazing, especially if there is heat. Vienna Rose is amazing if you have heat, more on the red side with a white Halo eye and star eye. J105 a must, HUGE flower, Jacks Orange is AMAZING, Desert Sunrise, Taj Mahal is AMAZING if you like unusually shaped petals. J4 is beautiful. I also love Tiger but John has it as an Un named pumie. Mona lisa is pretty amazing. Cherokee Geisha is pretty if you get heat.Karta..R3 Amazing Red
    Here are some others you might like:

Napoli

Karta

J4

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Paul W. is probably taller, too, right?

James, I was all set to get Desert Sunrise in the spring and now I'm thinking maybe Orange Jack. Hm. I want the most fragrant and compact of the two, and cool weather isn't exactly a problem for me here. You are quite the enabler!

Love that J4, too.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Jen,
    Cmon, you know you want them both, so just do it, that way you wont have to chose, and if you only get the JJ 'Orange' your going to see 'Desert Sunrise' at a show or somewhere else and your going to kick yourself in the pants for not buying both. I have both, all 3, yes all 3 of my JJ Oranges are pretty small still. My 'Desert Sunrise' is probobly 3ft tall but I haven't seen blooms on it yet. It does have an inflo scar on it, so hopefully it will bloom next year.

Hi Torqjk,

We have something in common. We both like the orange plumerias. I like how even in cooler temps JJ 'Orange' can still put out nice colors. Glad I am not you visiting Jungle Jacks! It would be too much temptation for me!

Of the plumeria James listed, I have a few Cherokee Geisha, Taj Mahol, J105, and Desert Sunrise. Only my Taj Mahol produced an inflo for me but it did produce 2 in one season. My problem with T.M. was bud drop. None of those buds opened more than 1/4 of the way, and that was only on 4 or 5 flower buds and the rest dropped. That plumeria seems to be pretty fussy. I thought I was the only person that had this issue, in fact I started suspecting an insect problem but it turns out that a lot of people have had this problem! There was a discussion regarding this plumeria and it's bud drop on the Face Book plumeria pages. Seems like the consensus over there was that this plumeria may not like full sun, but I suspect it also depends on where you live, if that's even the issue. I moved my T.M. to 3 different locations in my yard and it didn't matter, most all of the buds still dropped. I just wanted to give you a heads up on this issue with Taj just in case you decided to buy one. It is a very pretty flower and the shape of the flower is pretty unique. If your really going to consider buying a T.M. just talk to John and see what his angle is on the bud drop.

Hi James,
    I bought Cherokee Geisha based off of Sonia Hang's pictures of it. I also remember you saying that she lives in an area of CA that gets very HOT, but I am hopeful that I can still enjoy the flowers to some degree. IF it blooms in the next year or so, I should hopefully be able to still keep it under the HPS lights, and maybe that way I can see more of the true colors.

Andrew

• Kimo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen,
    Desert Sunrise and Orange Jack are more visual as the scent to me is faint, the one thing about JJs stuff is that either they have scent and strong scent or very faint scents. I really am a visual person and not big on scent and will take beauty over perfume. Actually the last couple pictures are Sonias pics of J4 and others as you need the heat to make them pop.
    Napolis been around but Karta, J4 and others are newer releases and need a bit more heat to really make them look like Sonias.

Hey Andrew,
    I think your safe as NY can get hot and humid during the summer months, you should get the color and patterns. Cherokee Geisha is beautiful and should peferm well for you, here in my patch its like Jackie and a few others just yellowish with a blush of color sometimes. I have Domeno from Thailand and it also just looks yellow no purple pink on the rim of the petal here, and yes Sonias area is the Inland Empire and HOT and dry not really humid so she gets summer temps that average in the 90s plus...not uncommon to get 112 or higher similar to desert temps, and the winter nights get cold with occasional frost. Since the big freeze in So Cal in 2007 I heard there has been 2 or 3 cold winters since where people in the IE have lost plants due to frost/cold damage. Southern CA has varied climates/zones, so depending on what area your patch is you might have to shelter you plants in winter or risk losing some. Even in the big freeze of 2007 I really didnt get the frost and only lost a newly rooted pink pansy plant that came from Hawaii so it was probably more sensetive.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County