Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newer to pulmerias

Posted by flowerlover78 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 7:28

I got my first 2 last spring, and they did not bloom I imagine still too young. Over wintered them inside the house, brought them back out and we had a great year this year, even got some flowering right now. My question is- I just bought a third one at a yard sale.. It has 3 branches to it. How do I take a cutting from it?

My idea is to cut it off and just pot it or to cut it off and let it dry some then pot. Can anyone help me on this.

I am 8b/9 here, I know many people keep thiers in the ground here and have luck but mine are potted. Oh and they are about 3.5 ft tall.

Also what is the best planting medium for them. I have them in plain dirt/soil and they are doing alright but want to repot them for next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newer to pulmerias

Flowerlover, can you post pictures of the 3-tip you want to trim? I can only get a vague idea of what you want to know from your post.

Also, what is your location and rain situation? Everyone here uses some type of fast-draining mix and obviously the more rain your plants get the quicker the soil needs to dry out in a pot.

o

I do not know how to add a photo on GW yet. I can attach them to an email- but ?

I am south of San Antonio, the plant will be in a pot. There are lots of people who put them in the ground here, I am usually a 9 here at the house, but every once in awhile it is 8b again. Those years people lost them so, I have choosen to keep them potted. This year Texas has been in a large drought - as far as rain, But I water daily, and I have a fish pond that I use for fertilizer. This plant I got at a yardsale. No sure what kind it is or not. I am really getting hooked on them now.

o

• Posted by kms2 9 TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 15:16

I would wait until the last week in February before cutting it. We do have enough warm days to root but its best to wait and it will root much easier and faster in the spring.

o

The drought was exactly why I asked about your rain situation. I normally use straight compost, the kind that is made exclusively from shredded wood, which drains very fast. With the drought expected to continue for us in Texas, though, I started repotting those individual plumerias (reds, seedlings) that appreciate more water in about a 2/3 compost, 1/3 topsoil mix. The topsoil is the kind that comes in bags and clearly has a lot of sand in it. This retains a little more moisture so those plants look a lot less stressed now.

To my mixes I always add some glittering green sand since our water is so alkaline, and a little decomposed granite and basalt for minerals, plus some slow release balanced fertilizer. Like Kms2 said, spring is best for cutting and for repotting.

Hope that helps.

o

okay I will wait on it then. Thanks so much!

o

Definitely wait until the warmer weather before taking any cuttings. I have never been able to root a plumeria cutting indoors or in cooler weather, but I have had good sucess in the summertime heat.
And I think its a pretty smart idea to keep your plumerias potted so that way if a cold snap comes, you can easily take them inside!
Good luck!
-Alex

o

I will say the NOAA Climate Prediction Center is "predicting" after January 2012 there is "even chances" of below average, average or above average rainfall in Texas. So you could look at it as there is a 66% chance of average rainfall or better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here