Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to plumeria in zone 6 CT...need care info

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 9:06

Good morning,
I was given my 1st plumeria yesterday from a fellow freecycler who gave plants to last week. She started this from seed and she is also a newbie. I live in zone 6 in south western CT. It's still very warm out here so I have it on the deck for now. I know once the temperature drops I need to bring it in. Does it go dormant on it's own? Do I continue to let it grow all winter? I will keep it in a very sunny kitchen where my other plants do very well. The plant is about 12" tall already! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to plumeria in zone 6 CT...need care info

I'm also a newbie to plumeria, and live on the other side of CT from you. I am working on obtaining my first plant, and hopefully it will do OK in my kitchen, which is probably a lot less than optimal for this plant, but my other tropicals seem to survive here.

If you would like to compare notes as we go, please feel free to contact me at my regular email, per my member page.

Good luck!

Rick/New London

o

Richie,

I would keep your seedling in a sunny window when nights get below 50 degrees. Mist it occasionally as they are prone to spider mites. If leaves begin to yellow and drop you should reduce watering. Some seedlings don't go dormant their first winter. Monitor the soil. If the plant is taking up moisture you can continue to water carefully. If it drops leaves and does not take up water, reduce watering, since it's probably going dormant. The thickened stem will store what it needs to survive until it comes back out of dormancy -- anywhere from Feb to April.

o

Thanks Dave

o

I also live in Ct. and am presently overwintering my plumeria in an unheated sun porch. I watered it in the fall and then let it go dormant. I haven't watered it since. It looks good and I have my fingers crossed. I'm wondering when I should start to water it to bring it out of dormancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here