Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie with questions

Posted by wrcaz 9 - Chandler AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 9:25

Just returned from a couple years overseas and one of my goals is to get back into gardening and redo my backyard here in Chandler AZ (Phoenix suburb. Have always wanted plumeria and reading here and other areas of the web it looks like it is possible in our climate. So....

1. Ordered some cuttings, once they arrive if they look like they already have callus can I go ahead and start the rooting attempt?

2. Also have some seeds so will be starting those soon. Any tips?

3. At home depot yesterday saw they had cutting sized potted plumeria. Picked 1 up that had 2 tips, one of the tips has 2 large leaves. They had them indoors and in very small 3-4" pots. Should I repot to larger with the perlite mix? Their mix looks like more soil then perlite.

4. Once cuttings are established and growing nicely, how are the branches formed?

Thanks for any suggestions. Hopefully in a few years I can be the one helping the newbies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie with questions

Hello and welcome! In Phoenix you can certainly grow plumeria. You're actually starting at the "end" of plumeria season, typically plumeria go dormant over the winter and you'll probably need to bring plants indoors when your temps dip below about 50 degrees. However, overwintering is a different subject! LOL!

If you have cuttings on the way I've been told that you are better off to try and root them than to keep them until spring, but maybe someone else has different advice. I would think you'd probably need a grow light / heat mat to root a cutting over the winter. They typically like to be around 85 degrees to root (they like bottom heat a lot), so you can see the cooler night temps are not enough. Plenty of people root over the winter, so although challenging, certainly not impossible! The same will go for your seeds.

I would definitely re-pot your HD purchase, the soil in those is usually WAY too peaty and moisture retentive.

Once cuttings are established, for the most part they branch after they bloom. After your plant pushes out the "inflo" typically you'll see the branch tip begin to divide. The number of tips will vary from plant to plant.

I hope this answers some of your questions, you're certainly in the right place for plumie advice, everyone here is great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here