Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mediterranean_zon10b

Plumeria identification

Hello , a couple of weeks ago I 've asked a woman for a flower of her frontyard. We exchange a couple of flowers to hand pollinate.
What she gave me ,was a small white flower , with pointed petals and a medium yellow spreading pattern, and a incredible thick texture. Very solid to touch.
Well , the flower is after two weeks being cutted, 14 days!!! In perfect shape. Almost like if It were cutted yesterday or two days ago.

Any suggestion about the name's variety??
Thanks beforehand.

Comments (14)

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, It looks like a Celadine to me. Here is a picture of one of mine. They smell very nice. Barb

• Mediterranean_Zon10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought the same, because of the colour and because I dont have any celadine to compare with, but with the celadine you can see that has a tendency to curl the petals , that what I saw at least checking out celadine pictures. And mine stays with star like shape with no decrease in it's tension. But maybe that is because of the refrigeration state in which I'm keeping it.
    Thanks for your suggestion,the owner doesn't even heard the word plumeria before.
    Greeting from Spain

• QHeidi
    9 years ago

Here is a great publication... see page 20 :)

It has helped me ID quite a few of the cuttings I've stumbles across.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/of-31.pdf

• Florida10
    9 years ago

Hello, I am new to this forum and not sure if I am doing this correctly, but here it goes! :) I was wondering if any one could tell me if this is a Nassau Red Plumeria or if I have identified wrong? Thank you in advance! Very excited to learn from everyone here! :)

This post was edited by Florida10 on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 19:42

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Unless you know that you purchased a Nassau Red plumeria from an reputable vendor/grower, it's impossible to identify your plumeria as such (this goes for *all* plumeria ID requests using a photo). Each plumeria type is unique genetically (sorry if I'm mangling terminology here! LOL), and the only way to be sure you have a Nassau Red is to KNOW that you received a cutting from a correctly labeled Nassau Red. This is actually one of the reasons I love plumeria, as every plant is actually, in a way, part of the original mother tree. Plumerias have this element of embedded history to them that you become very aware of.

There are so many look-alikes (as well as so many things that influence how a plumeria flower looks in the first place - heat, light, location, etc.), and so many un-named or unidentified (but beautiful!) plumies out there that it is virtually impossible to definitively ID a plumeria from a photo. Now, if you had said, "Well, I bought a Guillot's Sunset and a Nassau Red and the tags fell off - which one is this?" -- that would be a different scenario. I think those who are used to growing other plants that have a relatively fixed set of available cultivars are a little thrown off by plumeria culture. There are thousands of unique types of plumeria out there, as every plumeria grown from seed is a genetically unique individual, even if it looks identical to another plumeria. This is why you should only try and name a plumeria if it was propagated by a cutting from a (correctly) named plumeria. And, frustratingly enough, it doesn't mean you don't have a Nassau Red -- it just means that there's no way to know. The accepted way of labeling such plants around here is "Looks like Nassau Red" (as opposed to "it is Nassau Red") ... and then we all just enjoy the beautiful flowers! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: MPG's post about IDing plumeria

• Mediterranean_Zon10b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the aswers, daogirl You are absolutely right , as long it is not possible to trace the given genes to a labeled mother tree as a consequence of a controlled cutting propagation , knowing exactly if the name of a known fenotype matches with your particular plant it's very unlikely, cause the number of resulting varieties from diferent genotype is inmense.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Mediterranean...

You do have a beauty and Hollis really did a great job explaining the reasons we try to keep the trees correctly labeled.

Many of us have had trees bloom that are not labeled as they were intended, so a lot of us simply call them another name that we can Identify for our own records... One nursery in Florida ( out of business now) sold me two trees that didn't bloom as to what was labeled. I had to take that label off and put another tag on them. I just used the term " Possible ?? ". Or No-ID red.

Yours is simple gorgeous!!

Congratulations on the beautiful blooms..

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 0:03

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Hi Laura!

- Hollis :)

• Florida10
    9 years ago

Thank you for everyone's insight. My 83 yo father had purchased seeds and does not remember who he ordered them from or what types he initially ordered. So, I was just trying to figure things out, but am enjoying the beautiful blooms and different fragrances. Thanks to all! Rosie :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hollis..

Lol.. I am So sorry.. I was thinking of Wendy.. Please forgive me.. That " Daogirl" gets me and I should know better.. I have been working to much and really tired. Lots of things going on in my life and my mind has been elsewhere. That's my excuse for looking like an idiot.. ;-)

All is well ...

That's for the " wake up" .. I do appreciate that!! Thank you!!

Take good care Hollis..

Laura

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Rosie, if your unknown red was grown from one of your father's seeds it is an entirely new variety as all seedlings are genetically unique. Congratulations! You can name it whatever you want :)

• Florida10
    9 years ago

Hello jandey,

Thank you for your reply and yes, this definitely came from one of my father's seeds that he ordered online. This red amazes me and is so beautiful. It bloomed for the first time last year, but this year the colors seem to be somewhat changing, are more vibrant, and the tree has two inflows still blooming. The latest flower that bloomed yesterday has a dark red vein running through a few pedals as I tried to show in the pic. Maybe I'll call it Rosie's Red! :)

Question; my father did manage to keep four of the identification cards of the seeds he had ordered three years ago, However, if I am understanding your post correctly these would be genetically unique too and not necessarily true to the identification cards, correct? The others are labeled as Dainty Pink, Slam Rainbow, Bali Hai Gold, and Wipa Delight, but again, were started from seeds. The Slam Rainbow smells strongly like peaches, the Wipa Delight smells like gardenias, and the Dainty Pink smells like cotton candy. All are amazing! I love my Plumerias!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Hi Rosie,

Yes, all your plants grown from seed are unique. The way that these plants are usually labeled (until they have names of their own!) is "Siam Rainbow Seedling," "Dainty Pink Seedling," etc. etc. And "Rosie's Red" sounds like a great name to me! :)

This is how new plumeria are created!! It's really exciting that you have blooming seedlings - they can take a very long time to bloom (years and years) when they are grown from seed.

If you're interested in learning how plumeria are "officially" named and registered (not that you need to do this!), you can check out the link on the Plumeria Society of America's website: http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/how-to-register-plumeria/.

Hollis

• Florida10
    9 years ago

Hello Hollis,

Nice to meet you and thank you for the information! I am interested in the link to the Plumeria Society that you kindly provided. I have had wonderful luck with my beautiful plumeria trees this year. Several have bloomed for the first time, however, a few that bloomed last year did not bloom this year. Most of my trees are going into their fourth year that were started from seed, but the white plumeria trees I have were all started from cuttings and are roughly a year or two older.

There is definitely a lot to learn about plumeria, but very excited to work with these plants. I want to try grafting beginning with my white and yellows to experiment. I would love to see some of your plumeria! :) Thanks again for the info.

Best Wishes, Rosie :)