Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

JL Hawaiian Fire

Hi Everyone!!

Just wanted to show another bloom on my Hawaiian fire. He still is producing blooms ...

Have a great day!!

Today..

Take care,

Laura

Comments (31)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was in the heat of the summer...

Much lighter and full of fire !

Laura

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Wow Laura,
    that is beautiful.

George

• rox146
    10 years ago

I did not know Hawaiian Fire was a boy? :-) roxanne

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! Love the color changes! Great plant!

Mark

• chuy415
    10 years ago

wow!! gorgeous flower Laura!!

Chuy

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    10 years ago

Wow, Laura, very nice :) One of those I definitely have on my "maybe someday" list. Does it have a nice fragrance?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

This prooves that some can be beauties just by the single flower.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Laura, that is one special flower. I can see why JL doesn't want these beauties to become common.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Thank you for all of the kind compliments on my Hawaiian Fire!! He/ She truly is a beautiful tree and I am so happy to have seen it bloom all summer long. It still has a few blooms waiting to open and I get so excited to see them open. Truly , I have never seen such fire and beautiful veining in a bloom.

This was a very special gift!

George. Thank you for the compliment!! I tried to send you a response to your email, but you have it that you can't receive messages from GW.

Hi Roxanne!! Lol. I'm not sure either, but HE Impressed me so much, that I have been referring to the HF as a male.. Isn't that funny? Some are feminine and some are masculine to me.. It is funny tho!!! Mahalo!!!

Hi Mark!! There is a huge change since the very first bloom and then I took this picture when it was just so impressive. I still can't get over the beauty I see. Thank you so much!! I do appreciate your comments!!

Thank you Chuy!!! This is my baby right now.. I watch it all of the time and make sure the dogs don't get to near.. Makes the family need more " eye drops". LMAO!!!

Hi Mike!! Thank you as well. You have some beauties in your yard. They are all so beautiful and different. Thank you so much!! The fragrance is very strong, I detect the smell of roses.. Some might say floral, but it is stronger than any other tree other than VCR. I love this Hawaiian Fire! It is a must have!

Hi K.. Thank you so much for the special compliment. It is true, one bloom can say so much!!! I'm glad you can see it too! Thank you!!!

Hi Jen!! Thank you as well... I love this baby!!! It is a little treasure of Jim Littles and I also can understand how he keeps them close to him. I hope to see you out in Cali for the open house at JJ's ? Get those dates set.. We will have so much fun..

Take care everyone!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 13:52

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi Laura,
    it is GW that is screwed up. I cannot even get to it to change.

George

• pcput
    10 years ago

Love It! Love It! Love It! Nothing more needs to be said.
    Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

That second pic looks like it belongs on the cover of a manual about plumerias.

Great color, fantastic flower shape, large over-lapping petals, which I like.

What is the plant habit like? Compact? Lanky?

• Mykel02
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful... your plumeria is picture perfect... could be in a garden magazine hehe... :-)

I love how it changes color depending on the weather...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Peg!!! Mahalo!!! You know how special this tree is to me!! I love it too!

Hey Dave.. I can't Thank you enough for those awesome compliments!! I do love the pic that I took and I'm going to make cards with this pic... But for you to say that? Wow!! You just made my day and then some!!! All of the qualities you see and describe are the same qualities that impressed me as well. I have only had this for one growing season, but it has split into three stems from the inflo. It seems to be growing at an average growth rate. It definitely isn't a slow grower tho. I will keep you updated as far as it growing habits. Since it has split already, I don't think it will be one of the lanky ones, thank goodness!!! Again, Thank you so much for your kind words..

Hi Myke!! Thank you!! So kind of you to say that. What a great compliment!!
    It has changed again, the bloom is almost a solid red/orange right now.. The heat as well as other factors play a huge change in the coloration.

Have a great night!!!

Laura

• elucas101
    10 years ago

HOW IN THE WORLD DID I MISS THIS??? OMG, Laura, seriously, MADE ME GASP! That is spectacular!!! Really truly spectacular. I hope to see you post many more pictures of this amazing flower!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Amazing how the heat changed it. Absolutely gorgeous.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I had missed this one, too! Must have been during the rush to get everyone winterized!

How gorgeous, though. Did it hold it's inflo over winter?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Emily!!!

You are so cute!! Thank you!! I also love looking at this baby and I hope it will bloom again this summer. It has three stems since it bloomed, so I am really keeping my fingers crossed!! I could feel your excitement and I really appreciate it!!

Thank you Powder!!

Hi Mona!! So nice to see you !! We have missed you!! ;-)

Have a great day, everyone!!

Laura

• Richard
    7 years ago

Also how does it look today?

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked Richard
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Richard,

i did buy this from Jim Little !!!

My Hawaiian Fire is a beautiful four branched tree that is around three feet tall!! I just put it outside from its winter storage area and it looks like I might just see some action on one of the branches.. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thank you for asking about my tree!!!

Laura

• Richard
    7 years ago

How large is the flower? Have you ever made cuttings from JL plumerias? I hear most of the fancy colors are very hard to root.

Original Author
    7 years ago

My Hawaiian Fire blooms were around 2 1/2 inches..

You have me thinking of my varieties.

JL Golden Pagoda was difficult at the time, but it was accomplished!!!!

Metallica was easy to root when I purchased the cutting, but I worried because of the cost. Since then, I have cut a few cuttings and rooted them without any issues.

I think people are just extra careful because of the limited quantity ( and cost of the cuttings) and think it's difficult to root his varieties. I feel if you root at the proper time in the right conditions with a healthy cutting, it's very easy.

Im looking at my JL Hula Girl and feeling that she will be easy to root when it's necessary..

If you can take your mind away from knowing and worrying about the varieties when rooting, you could master them all!! Lol.. I really think it's in our minds except for a few exceptions of certain cultivars that are known for being difficult .. ( non JL varieties..) Makaha Sunn and Kapalua being two that are at the top of that list. I have rooted both but Kapalua was very difficult.

Hope this helps!!

Laura

• Richard
    7 years ago

Thanks for your input I want to pick up a JL Dane but so far I'm only seeing cuttings and I was told that many of JL stuff was hard to root but then again this wa coming from a person who sells grafted stuff so who knows

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

Richard, a lot of people just like to take the guess work out of it and not fret over whether or not their sometimes expensive cutting will root, so they choose to graft or buy grafted. For some reason certain people don't like grafted plants and see them as ugly. Of the ones that i have that are grafted, I seldom even notice the grafts.

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

No problem, Richard!!

I checked Diana's notes and she has JL Dane as an easy rooted!! Here is what she has as listed:

Dane JL not Thai Dane, very similar to Taj Majal. Yellow with red pointed layered edges sometimes 6 to 7 petals. Named after JL's grandson. The
    flowers are extraordinary - a deep gold in the center that goes through the petals, green veining when it first opens and changes to a vibrant red. Each
    petal curls inward to form a pointed tip. Upright growth habit with beautiful, full heads and a light sweet papaya fragrance. Must have heat to bloom
    correctly. Named after JL's grandson. Very fast growing. Needs heat to bring out colors. Heat lover. 2.5-3.5”. Tips of petals fold inwards. Golden yellow
    with dark gold center. Tips are dark pink almost red and the edges and back are the same color. Needs heat. Performs best in cooler weather. Sweet
    scent. Excellent keeping quality. Medium to fast grower and an easy rooter. 2 1/2 ", not hard to grow. Big bouquet and very fragrant. Poor branching,
    needs to grow 4’. Leggy. Sets seed.

Check Fuzzy's EBay under BloomingPlumerias.. also matts one stop Aloha

Hi Mona!! :-). I agree.. I don't mind grafted trees and I don't notice any scar when I'm looking at my grafted trees!! It's a great option for certain cultivars!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

Very true, Laura! Some of my grafts done by Luc are hard to see anymore.

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Mona!!!

That is one of the best grafts I have seen.. Luc sure did a great job!!!

He is greatly missed in the Plumeria World...

Darn... nice graft LUC!! Rest In Peace...

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

Yes, Luc was a master grafter and great plumerian! RIP Luc!

Here's one of Anyamanee's v grafts. I imagine in a few years the graft will be hard to see.

• Stan T
    3 years ago

Hi, are selling cuttings from your Hawaiian fire?

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Stan.

I have not cut my Hawaiian Fire, but I do know some growers in California that have some for sale ... not sure if you are on any FB forums but they are out there as a sale is coming up in and around San Diego in a few days ..

laura