Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwalleytx

Getting cold in Texas

Richard
11 years ago

I was wondering with the cold weather coming around when do you texas people usually bring your plants in for the winter? Im guessing its not time yet but I just wanted to get an idea.

Comments (13)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

56 this am. I bring mine in if a hard freeze is predicted. The ones planted in the yard stay where they are. I`m a bit warmer here on the coast.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

When we got up this morning it was 56 degrees in Rockport. It was just too cold to do anything, so we decided to come back home. My plants seem to like the cooler weather, the colors are darker. Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

When the forecast dipped to a low of 37 here in Austin, I went outside and rounded up everything exposed to a northern wind, anything newly-rooted (in the past several months) and anything I really prize. You have to assume a forecast low for a city will mean a temperature variation of a few degrees, especially in low or outlying areas.

Most of the plumies I just brought close the house at a southern exposure, and the more precious ones were brought into the house, including all seedlings.

Now my living room looks like it should be featured in an episode of "Plant Hoarders".

Most will go back outside again after the lows go back up into the 50's. The exceptions are the seedlings, which I like to keep going through the winter if I can.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Mine are under a covered patio with southern sun. I have covered them the last few nights to protect them from possible frost. Tt's supposed to be back in the 80's next week. I'll probably bring them in late next week if the night temps begin to stay below 40 degrees.
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Almost everyone in the Houston area puts theirs to "sleep" for the winter in November. Theyall whack off the leaves, let them get dry and move them to a protected location from the wind. I don't know anyone who uses heat in the winter with theirs.
    Tally HO!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

I bring in mine the end of November. We do not generally get a freeze in Sugar Land till mid December.

George

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I typically use Thanksgiving weekend as the defining moment to start "playing Tetris" to make them fit into the greenhouse (props to Jandey on the tetris analogy). Bigs go in first and then smalls get stacked on top as needed.

I set up a ceramic heater to be used to keep the greenhouse above 50 degrees on those rare chilly nights and have a second one handy for replacement purposes or additional BTUs in a worse case scenario.

With the exception of any plants near the heater which get their leaves stripped off I let the leaves fall off naturally and pick them up about once a week. throw them outside and shred them with the mower.

Here is a time lapse I took of Penang Peach trying to open an inflo in cool wet weather. Its about six hours of images. Two different storms came through and really cooled things down so it was no surprise there wasnt much going on. I tried it again yesterday and just kept trading out batteries until dusk but It was also quite cool so still not much. Maybe if it warms up I can capture blooms opening. Anyway you slice it the rain is still neat to see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penang Peach Time Lapse.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Link no work. 8*(

• pcput
    11 years ago

kms2, It worked for me and boy that is something else. Looks like it's breathing. Thanks for sharing. Peg

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Yes, that link works now. Before, it went to Youtube, but said 0 videos. Looks pretty cool.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

42 at 6am today. I'm sure to find a bag full of dropped leaves tonight.

Glad it worked you this time del.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Somebody sure is getting their money's worth from their GoPro camera!

This has been a cold weekend, but I feel bad for all those on the east coast with that cold front and hurricane hitting them at once--what an incredible storm, and at the very end of the season!

I heard dark mutterings as I talked to my Penang Peach yesterday as she sits on my fireplace hearth. I told her her foliage is pretty enough to make a lovely houseplant as my husband mumbled something about "lost it." I think he may have said the same thing the day before when I announced that all the Moragne girls were now safely inside.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

below 50' night temps, i bring them in under the porch for some wind protection

below 40' night temps i bring them inside.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting