Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

CA Sunset

California Sunset finally opened Sunday.

Lonnie

Comments (11)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Love it!! Love the lighter colors and petal shape

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Congrats! Love the 6 petals. Mine hasn't done that so far.
    Also love the spider!

-Robert

• elucas101
    11 years ago

VERY nice Lonnie!!! And I see you have a little plumie protector there on the left side!

• D.Orchids
    11 years ago

I've never seem 6 petals! that's amazing. I am having trouble with all of the petals opening. Not sure if it's the nature of the plant or Mites. They are a beautiful plant.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

D., yours looks like Veracruz Rose; beautiful red stripe on the back. Where are you that you scored such a high zone number?

Lonnie, I hope you spotted that spider before you stuck your nose in for a sniff! I get lots of those guys on Lemon Drop and I always have to check before sticking my nose in. Nice to see blooms so late in the season.

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi guys,
    Gotta love that CA Sunset. Unfortunately we are so close to the coast that most of the time we don't get enough heat for the oranges and reds to come out. Found an old picture (from Nov.2011) which shows our usual creamy yellow and then buds that developed during a hot Santa Ana spell.
    Take care, Iso

• D.Orchids
    11 years ago

We have been upgraded to 11a from 10b zone- Encinitas and Cardiff coastal strip only - 'bout right, 40's our lowest in winter. Your right it does look somewhat like my other VCR's. We had a week long heat wave when it bloomed- that was just the ticket. Kauku Wilder's went bright orange... unusually so- older bloom is still way more yellow. Temp seems to really make a diff in color of plumie blooms.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jandey,

I didn't see him at first. Guess I was lucky, didn't end up with a bite on the end of my nose.
    That would be hard to explain!
    Temps have been 68 overnight - 86 in the afternoons with 20-25 MPH winds.
    But, weather is changing this Friday night to 48/62.
    I'll begin to bring everything under the back porch cover.
    I have already trimmed most leaves on all the plumeria.
    Lonnie

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Phooey, just when our temps got perfect for growing, another cold front is coming to wipe it away--thanks for the head's up, Lonnie. I see we're dropping to about 47 Friday night.

I'm only going to bring in very small seedlings and very newly-rooted cuttings. The rest will be fine. I haven't trimmed anything except leaves that are turning yellow.

At least the kids will have cooler temps for the Halloween parties this weekend. Nothing like walking around in a heavy costume in 85 degree heat!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CA Sunset still opening, this is only one of three inflo yet to open. Hopefully, the cold weather coming Friday will not totally stop the blooms.
    It was 87 yesterday and the high Friday through weekend is 60 - 64.
    Lonnie

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Lonnie, that six-petaled flower is to die for! Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!