Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkeye38_gw

Was I Right to Panic?

hawkeye38
11 years ago

I have pampered my 3 plants, (Guiott's Sunset, I think) for 2 summers now and finally a bud showed up on the largest plant at the end of August. It took a good 3 weeks to almost bloom and then the temp plummets to 50's. So I had a panic attack and moved the plants inside so they would stay warm. The days were sunny and warm so I moved the bloomer out during day and in for night. The buds slowly began to swell and finally a bloom, then another the next day. Then a full day of light rain and 2 more of clouds and everything stopped. Finally my neighbor suggested a florescent light. I put one over the bloom and things began to happen over night. Buds began swelling again started opening within a day. Still putting it out in the sun seemed to help the nightly lighting and it is now adorned with several blooms although the florescent has altered the color of the blooms. It still is a beauty. Photo shows today's blooms after a week of night light. I believe that if I had left them outside without moving to sunny side and using the night light I probably still would not have blooms. It will be 42F tomorrow night.Brrr. Was I right to panic?