Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolstropicals

Help with Plumeria OverWintering

carolstropicals
11 years ago

I have not seen enough information on Overwintering Plumerias. I am in Houston, Tx and it is time to dig them up. The weather at night is now 42. Any unexpected cold front could be a problem.

I usually dig up my Plumies. They are all planted in the ground and not in pots. I have usually dug them up and put them in large pots along with new soil - then water once and store them in our shed - not watering again during the winter. I open the shed daily during the day.

But now, they are hugh - maybe 10 feet tall. I just don't have the room. I have heard that you can store them with their roots bare, but I am concerned about this.

I want to cut them at the top - maybe 5" or so above the fork. Is this OK before digging up ?? Can you also cut them on the stem maybe 3 feet up with no branches left. They are tall enough for me. I don't want 25' plumerias. Cutting on the stem would sure help with the room and the size. Will they branch again if cut on the trunk ? Thank you in advance for all of your expertise.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!