Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting/Moving 2 older Plumeria Trees in Bali

Posted by bluebellinata (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 15:00

Please, I would be grateful for any tips/advice on how to transplant/move two older Plumeria trees in the tropics (Bali, Indonesia). Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting/Moving 2 older Plumeria Trees in Bali

if they go dormant, then that would be the time to do all the digging. In late winter, or the end of the dry season you could take a shovel and dig it out getting as much of the roots as you can, but if you dont get all the roots it would be okay because it will grow back once warmer temps (or rain) return. You would have to tie it to keep it up from high wind though until the roots grow back, and I woundnt expect many flowers until they become established in their new spots.
If this is a big tree you would probably need a crane or something to get it out, but if its not too big all you need is alot of will power, or some nice friends or family to help you lift it out.

Good luck (also Im alot newer to plumerias than many people on this fourm so they may be able to help you out more than I can).

o

Thank you! How about watering the roots when and how much....before one puts them into the ground again ..or even before one digs them out?
In Bali is now the the end of the dry season coming so that would be a good time? What about following the moon phase...? Is new moon the best for digging out?

o

Your welcome!

I think you should give it a nice soaking with water when they are in their new spots, and make sure they dont get too dry.

If your plumerias are dormant now, but will be growing again soon, then now is the best time to transplant.

Also, Ive never planted by moon phases, but people say the best time to be planting things like plumerias is during the new moon phase because the gravitational forces makes plants grow easier.

Good luck!

o

If i recall, Jim Little's book (available at mauiplumeriagardens.com for about $11) has a section on moving large plumerias. The book is worth owning by any plumie person.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here