Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well I got one

Posted by mksmth ok (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 15:24

So i spend most my time at the citrus forum and lately I have been reading here and looking for a plumeria. I guess I need another challenge to add to my collection. Plus I love how everyones plumies look. Anyways I was at HomeDepot and they had these and ones that had white flowers. The vendor from the nursery who supplies HD with these happened to be there and he said this particular one is from a "pot luck" delivery. He said they could be pink, yellow, orange or a combo of white and one of those colors. He also made sure the one I got was well rooted. Im excited to learn more and hopefully take good enough care to find out what color it really is. I figured for $5.98 why not.

Should I go ahead and re-pot now or wait till spring. Im going to put it out in the greenhouse with all my citrus trees that will be 50+ degrees all winter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well I got one

It looks good! I would probably wait till spring to re-pot it, since they usually grow very very little during the winter unless given enough light and heat. They are also prone to spider mites indoors (even in a greenhouse if it gets dry) so I would watch out for those. They dont like to be watered a lot in cooler weather so you can let it dry out a little bit. They also dont like fertilizer in the winter and they will not usually bloom as often if given too much fertilizer high in nitrogen during the summer (but they will grow more leaves!)
I think you might be lucky and get some blooms next summer from it as long as you keep it growing well all winter!

o

I would let it winter in its current pot and transplant in the spring. I'm sure there is a thread about making your own soil mix. Good luck.

o

Thanks for the advice. I was at a different HD and couldnt resist and got another one. Im gonna have to stay away from HomeDepot, LOl.

o

I have NEVER seen plumeria offered at any of my local HDs. That's a great deal! There is a local nursery that sells no-name plants at very high prices though.

o

Both of mine are in the greenhouse with all my citrus. What minimum temps should I try and maintain to avoid leaf drop and dormancy. I am keeping it in the low 50's and I noticed a couple leaves on the one in the picture are turning brown. It still climbs up to upper 80's lower 90's in there on a sunny day. Could the big swing in temps be why?

o

Hi mk,

Just a word of caution: I bought one of HD's $5.98 cuttings myself and didn't check for roots, just watered as I would normally. It rotted and fell over and I discovered that it was just a cutting stuck in soil, no roots yet.

Hope this isn't the case for yours. Fortunately, they have that one-year plant guarantee so I just took mine back.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here