Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I leave them in pots for the winter?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 15:28

Or do I have to bare root them? I'm planning on leaving them either in the garage (temps around 55) or inside the house (70). Will it make a difference with either location? They will lose their leaves anyways, and there will not be any growth, right?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I leave them in pots for the winter?

In pots is fine. In the garage is fine as long as temps do not go into the thirties. The house will be drier so you want to have no leaves and force dormancy by cutting off the leaves. You can leave them outside as temps get into the low fifties and move before colder conditions. Usually 50s start dormancy but some plamts can be stubborn.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 21:09

So if temps don't go in to the 30s, I can leave outdoors? They will be under a patio cover, so they won't get soaking wet from the rain, if that's a concern.

o

most people start getting concerned when the temperatures get in the low 40s. Mine remain out all year and have had bouts with frosts. I have lost a few but most (talking hundreds) survive. So, in your case, you can leave them under your cover until temps in the low 40s are predicted and then consider more protection.

o

As a professional killer of plumerias. You don't want them outside when it's below 40.

o

Juicygirl- there are some habits that can reduce your damages. Fertilizing into fall encourages green growth which is very sensitive to cold. Stop fertilizing in late summer. Giving your plants high potassium (last number) in late summer or products like Protekt (0-0-3) help to harden and prepare plants for colder weather. Moving plants close to a south facing wall or under a cover or overhang helps them endure colder temps. Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here