Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (17)

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I would like to have a button for last post read. I don't know if that is something you can do. When post get very long, it takes alot of effort scrolling down the page. Thank you for your time.

Mindy

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Tamara, I love this site. It's a wonderful community in large part because you guys have made it so easy to use for all levels of skill.

I like the new photo feature. It would be great if up to three photos could be instantly added into a post instead of just the one.

While I'm fine with all the ads on the top and sides of the site, the pop-up ads are annoying, especially the big ones you can't close, like the full-page Lancome ad that came up this past summer.

The "clippings" feature is terrific, extremely useful. Thanks for adding these thoughtful new features, and for asking our input!

Jen

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

II think that under the my page area you need to include "city or general region"and "state." Espeially with plumerias, the zone in florida is different than the same zone in California. The coastal So. California is different than the inland empire due to the ocean influence. I have often communicated with someone only to discover they are 3000 miles away and the comments do not apply. Now I find I respond more accurately to those who put "8b Virginia City Vi" or "9 Lake County FL"in the zone column because I know their environment.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for trying to get more advice from all of us and making this site more user friendly..

I have made many friends here and i just love this forum and Garden Web. So, Thank you!!

My request would be to have an edit button that we could go back and edit a comment or even delete the whole post.

Sometimes it seems like we post something only to go back and reread and want to change it. I think that would be a great tool to have.

Have a great day!!

Laura

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I agree with all the above. Especially the edit after posting.
    Lonnie

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Minderella,

That would be a useful button. For now I press down on the Ctrl button and the End button to get to the bottom of the page. Then you only have to scroll up a bit to read the last comment. I hope this helps! :)

Laura,

Love the editing and deleting ideas! I hate when I spell something wrong and can't correct it. ;)

-Robert

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Actually I just discovered that you don't need to hold down on Ctrl. Just hit the End key to get to the bottom of a page to read the last comment. You can tell I've been using Word too long. Laugh. If only that edit option was available! :)

-Robert

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I will say my complexion is so smooth and buttery thanks to Lancome after being bludgeoned with that banner ad.

The mobile app would be nice. Perhaps it would prevent that pesky double posting when using a mobile device.

Love the edit idea. I have seen other forums with that feature and it clearly identifies what was edited and provides for the user to identify why they chose to edit their comments.

Any potential for instant messaging / live chat where we could see other users (who want to be seen) online and can IM with them?

thanks for asking.

• wrcaz
    11 years ago

How about a Clip this thread in addition to Clip this Post.

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

Robert, if you hit the home key it will take you back to the top of the page

Bear

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

Respond to my own post even if no one else has commented. Last time I tried, the post was blocked. Sometimes I want to add more info to the original post.

A 'report spam' button would be useful for when one sneaks in.

I use a netbook, and the site is far too spread out on a page. A 'terse' option would be very useful for small screens.

Ditto on the post-post edit or remove.

• dstartz
    11 years ago

Hear, hear on the 'Edit' idea! (I have forgotten to click the email replies notice option before and wanted to change it, as well.)

I know it's on another site, but I would love a 'Like' button, especially in the trading area.

A better menu area would be divine.

I also 2nd the clip threads and the last post read ideas.

I would really enjoy a buddies type option so that I could follow my local fellow gardeners posts.

A poster's avatar would make it easier to be cognizant of the author of comments rather having to discern a written name amongst other writing.

IMH(umble)O A 'cleaner' sans font on the site would make the pages easier to read.

Thank you for the site and thank you for not only updating it, but for asking us for what we would like to have!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Pesky popup ads and expanding ads are so annoying I cannot tell you how often I just close down the browser.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• dstartz
    11 years ago

Is it suppose to be on this thread, also?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Thanks Tamara for soliciting feedback.

• torqtjk
    11 years ago

Mobile App, Mobile App, Mobile App

and avatars is a cool idea