Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Time to start my wish list

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

I want to buy dwarf or low growing plumeria next year. I love hot colors, and fragance. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have all winter to make my wish list. I would rather buy something thats tried and true. I already have Musk Rainbow, Hurricane, Penang Peach, and J-115. I need about 5 more to complete my flowerbed extension. I am open to trading cuttings with anyone who has low growing plumeria in the spring. Barbra

Comments (10)

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Barbra, have a look at "Devine" - I have several and they are small, fragrant and prolific bloomers.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Gold Coast Peach(y) and Daeng Maha Choke (AKA Bangkok Fire). The first might not be the color you're looking for but the fragrance is supposed to be wonderful and it's supposed to be compact. The second is definitely a hot color and it's also supposed to have a great scent. :)

-Robert

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

2013 Wish List
    J105
    Butterfly Gold
    Madame Rainbow - @ BBB
    Broomstick Rainbow - Emerson
    Coral Cream
    Moragne 78/Kelly Moragne
    T-Bird Tracy
    Makaha Sunn

Lonnie

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Barbra,
    A Dwarf Singapore Pink will be a great addition to your beds. It color is muted but mine blooms so much it makes up for it in volume and the fragrance is noticeable when near the plant. See the pic below. it sat in full sun all summer without a single scorched leaf or sun damage. I may have some cuttings in the spring depending on how it needs to be shaped and what i can cut since there are 3 sets of seed pods. If I have cuttings in the spring I'll start one for you.

I'm also trying out the JJ "mini" series with a mini white and mini devine. They are still pretty small but doing well. Between the two mini devine is more colorful.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

For dwarf or very low-growing I'm afraid the selection of hot colors is pretty limited. There are a couple like Key West Red and Jungle Jack's Mini Red that might work, along with Divine, which should be pretty vibrant pink in our heat.

Robert, I think Barbra may already have Bangkok Fire. She has quite a collection!

K, that DSP is gorgeous, very fluffy-looking.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Oh, and there's Star Ruby, Barbra. That might be a good one for you.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen, I found an old posting from you saying that both Pink Pansey, and My Valentine are low growers. I have both of them planted in the back row. I will need to move them up in the spring. I have Wildfire, not Bangkok Fire. I will probably order the dwaft and low growers the first of the year, when FC has their sale. I will research until then, and decide what I want. I know I want Dwarf Watermellon, and have already put in a order for next April. Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Barbra, both are supposed to be compact--not necessarily low-growing--especially Pink Pansy, but my experience with My Valentine so far is not proving that.

I bought a single-tip rooted plant, about 17" tall, in the summer of 2010 and it hasn't bloomed yet. I measured it a couple of days ago and it's hit 36" tall now with no branching. So I wouldn't call that compact.

Plus, I think when growers say compact they may mean "blooms on shorter branches when it does bloom", not necessarily "a short-growing tree", if that makes sense.

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

Just off the top of my head:

Pink Pansey
    JJ California Sunset
    Penang Peach
    JJ Divine
    King Kalakua >akaJJ Jackie
    Maile
    JL Goldilocks
    Bali Hai
    Defel