Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vestrada_gw

new business

vestrada
13 years ago

My father has been trying to start his Plumeria business for 12 years with no luck. He has only sold to his lawn care customers. I have recently decided to pretty much take over, I have made a website and started spreading the word but in three months I haven't made one sale! What am I doing wrong?! My website is www.floridafrangipaniplumerias.com check it out and maybe you guys can give me some constructive criticism. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (7)

• ericthehurdler
    13 years ago

the sight looks great i might buy some

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

1) OK, well, for starters, the photography is pretty good, although some of them are not the best representations of those varieties...like Kimo, which should be flatter and more overlapping -- and peachier in color.

2) I would make all the photos the same size ...and smaller. They take too much screen room.

3) I would check my spelling: INSTENSE RAINBOW

4) I would list the prices for each variety on the same page where you describe that variety (as well as in the price list).

5) You list a 3-gallon 'whole tree' for $35, yet an unrooted cutting of Nebels RAinbow is $50. You should probably explain which 'trees' are being offered. Prices for cuttings seems a bit on the pricy side to me.

6) IS there a way to get an estimate on shipping before purchase?

Hope this helps.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    13 years ago

your website will not be seen if its not optimized for the search engines to index it and its keyword metadata. Example I just googled "Florida Plumeria" and got 154,000 results. You are probably in that 154,000 but I stopped looking after 4 pages...which is 3 pages more than most people will ever look. You gotta find a way onto that first page. Use google local, google adwords, yahoo etc.

Its not hard and not expensive if you have a marketing budget on revenue coming in but its a skill that may be worth buying the expertise.

• vestrada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your help. My dad is pretty much computer illiterate and I am not too good with websites (yet) I will absolutely take all of this into consideration and make the adjustments. The prices some were research others were just what my dad wanted but if we want to grow we need to make these adjustments. I will let everyone know once my changes are made. Thanks again!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

I know its hard to provide pictures of the actual plants that will be shipped, but I know one reason Im thinking about buying some citrus from fourwinds, is because they post a picture of what a typically shipped tree will look like. I love stock photos of plants, but that really doesnt help me decided if I should trust ordering online from someone.

• jandey1
    13 years ago

I completely agree with kms2; my first thought was search engine optimization. Google Adwords is a good place to start. You need thousands of eyes on your site a month in order to generate even a few sales. Your photos look good, but the best-looking site in the world will get you squat if no one sees it.

If you don't have the budget for internet marketing, get on ebay, take good shots of each individual plant for sale and the blooms to be expected--plant lovers are very visual people. Use as many key words in the title descriptions as you can for those of us searching for "plumeria rooted cutting".

Good luck!

Jen

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

That's a good suggestion about using EBay. That's where I bought many of my cuttings -- most from Hawaii though.

You will find competition there, but if you can build some trust and have good photos of your plants/cuttings as well as the blooms, and are willing to be competitive, this may be a good way to go.