Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings 1st bloom

Posted by dewaine_2008 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 17:02

We came very close to losing this seedling in the big freeze of January 2007. She's bloomed for the first time today and if she stays like this, I think we'll keep her.
Dewaine
PLUMERIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings 1st bloom

Dewaine,

She's a beauty!!! Congratulations!!!

Laura in VB

o

very sweet
love the red rimming

o

OMG! That is so gorgeous, and, as usual, your photography is impressive.

It looks very much like Vera Cruz Rose--is it a seedling of that? I'm not familiar with 7 Oaks.

o

Beautiful color!!!! Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Wow, so beautiful.
How long did your seedling take to bloom? I have several 3 to 4 years old that have yet to get an inflo.

o

looks like a keeper. perhaps a seedling of Vera cruz rose. My VCR has less red (but you are warmer) but it has a very powerful and lovely scent. does it smell great? Thanks for sharing. Bill

o

Thanks everybody, I'm glad you like this one.

Jandey, 7 Oaks is a local nursery that we discovered I think in 2002. They had acquired a LOT of seeds from Jim Little and had seedlings in 1 gal to 3 gal pots. They have a 50% sale twice a year and we were buying seedlings for next to nothing. We still have a few of their seedlings that have yet to bloom.

I have no idea of the lineage of this seedling, but you're right, she looks (so far) a lot like VCR.

Brighty, this one was hit hard by a freeze in 2007 and had to be cut way down. We got her in 2002, but I have no way of knowing how old she was at that time. Most of our seedlings have taken 3 to 6 years to bloom, but some take much longer.

Thanks Bill. I was very disappointed when I sniffed her and couldn't detect a scent. But she's under the canopy of a really big camphor tree and only gets afternoon sun (when we're lucky enough to have sun shine). I'm surprised the colors are as intense as they are considering the shade she's in and the weather we're having. I won't get too excited one way or the other for a couple years, but I think she has real potential.

Thanks all,

Dewaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here