Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Central Texas plumeria meetup

jandey1
12 years ago

Anyone in the Central Texas area interested in meeting with other plumeria addicts for chatting and sharing growing tips about these amazing plants, please join us!

We'll meet on Saturday, November 5th at 10 am at the San Marcos Prime Outlets food court. Our long-suffering spouses can shop while we talk the nitty-gritty of getting plumeria overwintered and blooming in our sometimes challenging climate here.

This is a very informal group so don't be nervous if you're a newbie! See you there.

Jen

Comments (21)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

This place is the something like the 5th most visited tourist spot in Texas and some have said it would have been the 12th wonder of the world if those scholars of antiquity had used a longer list.

So most everyone willing to drive knows how to get there. But if needed, google "San Marcos Prime Outlet" to find a very good locator map which shows how to get to the Outlet and where the food court is situated.

• keithbnimble
    12 years ago

I am a newbie and would love to learn how to care for them. I'll be there.

Keith

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

According to the map, it looks like a straight walk back from the Nike store.

Keith, looking forward to meeting you.

Jen

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Have a great time everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Jen, thanks for the information. I printed a copy of the online map. The Food Court is between the Samsonite store, and Yankee Candle. I plan on being there an hour before they open at 10am. I will be wearing purple pants, and striped top. Barbra

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good, Barbra. I'll be carrying a huge orange handbag. ;)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

I will have neither of those items. So if you see a guy wearing purple pants and carrying an orange handbag...its not me.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Barbra, Chuckie, K, and Keith--had a great time meeting and chatting with you all!

K, thanks for bringing all the cuttings and Barbra, thanks for the adorable DR! I put it into a tiny bonsai dish with the soil you bagged it in and some granite pebbles so I hope it takes off. Looking forward to seeing it flower!

Jen

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Jen and M were great, I learned so much today about plumerias. I had a great time meeting everyone. M shared plants with us. I can't wait until the spring when we get together again. I even enjoyed meeting the lady at the food court that had a bright orange purse, who was not Gen. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, K, I keep calling you M, don't know why. Barbra

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you cleared that up, Barbra. I thought maybe he was using double anonymous identities just to be safe, LOL!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

lol...Its still better than what most people call me.

Now that I am back at my office I can offer a count on the seedpods on my Jeannie. and its 6. Its on a high balcony with a common pink and 3 Celadines. So the pollen pool was limited.

The cool front's high winds did a pretty good of tattering up these guys but its the end of the year so who cares.

Cell phone pics so please excuse the backlight.
    {{gwi:1219276}}

{{gwi:1219277}}

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

I love that you have five plumies at the office!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

too funny to admit but there are four more on a Rooftop patio a few floors up. People really enjoy them and often go and pick flowers to enjoy.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

Sounds like you all had a great time!!! : )

K,

Those pods look great!!

Glad that you can share with your co workers the beauty of these trees!!! They are very lucky to be able to share the blooms!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Five is great, but nine is even better!

G

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

K, Laura and I both would love seeds if those pods make it.

I've got foliage right now on several that look as good as they have all year:
    Makaha Sunn
    My Valentine
    J105
    VC Lutica
    Leona Hoke, etc.

Really it would just be easier to list the ones that are starting to look sad:
    Intense Rainbow
    Kimo (whiteflies didn't help)
    JL Red-Orange (completely defoliated)
    Dazzler (just started to yellow a lot)
    Penang Peach
    Wildfire (struggled all year in the heat)

All the rest look great; hate the idea of stripping them and putting them in. I'm greedy--I want more growing season!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I can hardly wait until spring gets here. I don't feel confident enought to deal with seeds. Jen, if the Glady's O'Neal seed pod I have makes it thru the winter, it's yours to share with others. Should I remove all the leaves and just leave the seed pod, when I move it in the garage around Thanksgiving? Barbra

• jandey1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind offer, Barbra! Love Gladys O'Neal! It should be okay just left alone in the garage. I overwintered a NOID white seedpod and just tied it to a stake for more support and left it in the garage, off the cold concrete floor.

I usually don't take off any leaves except those that are turning yellow anyway because I've found some cultivars just keep growing all winter. I will strip maybe 3/4 of the leaves this year because I have so many more to bring in the house, and they need to be sprayed with insecticidal soap before I do that since pests have been so bad.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I am going down on Sunday, and will start getting them ready to move into the garage. I have not been down in over 3 weeks, I hope everything is ok. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

I also let the leaves die back and pull off as they yellow. It takes just a few minutes to walk through and pull on aging leaves and whatever comes off is cleaned up and whatever doesn't is left for the next walk through. I also clean up any flowers/inflos which are dying back.

The image below is a tree in need of a cleaning. Note the yellow leaves and even some dead leaves caught in the canopy.
    {{gwi:1219278}}

I figure by the time the leaves are turning yellow the tree has stopped sending sap and the leaf node is hardening up.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz