Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got a start on overwintering!

Posted by moonie_57 8 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 17:37

Can you believe it got down to 46* in my back yard last night? It just seems too early to me. And I was barely ahead of the game. Sure hope my grandson doesn't come to spend the night anytime soon as I am in the process of creating a disaster, turning his bedroom into a plumie room. :)

Here's a few pics of the mess I have created and in the next few days I have to take it all apart and put plastic down on the floor. On my cuttings table, I have a 4 ft heatmat, several florescent lights, and a 4 ft shop light. Below the table are some smaller plants with florescent lights and several clamp lights. Also posted is a pic of the shop light stand I built from pvc. Just for future reference... 1 1/2 inch pvc is overkill! Why wasn't my DH with me shopping to tell me 1" would be fine?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can also see the foil thermal blanket I am using to cover my cuttings, hopefully keeping light in. Walmart did not have them in stock but I hope to get a couple more to put around the light stand.

Hopefully this will get me through the winter. My larger plants are going to work to overwinter in the greenhouse there.

((Please don't poke fun at the fat cat in the pic. She has been put on a diet.. again and again and again! LOL))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got a start on overwintering!

Instead of putting that cute kitty on a diet, maybe you should feed the guy in the corner!!! Hope he loves plumies as much as the rest of us. Mary

o

Good one! LOL

o

LOLOL...

Looks good Mona!!

My trees stayed outside last night and will stay out for the next week or so. I checked the ten day forecast and the lows for my area will be 50.. so they were finally cut today and the rest will be under lights too.

I like the kitty and the other guy looks like he needs attention too! LOL : ) good eye Mary!! LOL...

Great job!!

Laura

o

Thanks Laura!

I'm a bit concerned because I wanted to get the T5 lights. My son and DIL just bought a house and I really wanted to help buy them some furniture so don't want to spend the money on myself.

Or do I? Hmmm....

LOL

No, I want to help them, I guess. LOL

o

Hi Mona,
I will take your 46 degree nights and trade them for the 34 degree temp were at right now...and it's not even midnight yet...OUCH!! I just went out and dug out my last 2 angel trumpets. That was a workout. Tomorrow I will be a cripple.

I can appreciate what your going thru. I have a kitchen table that has been completely covered in plants for the past week now. I have my spare bedroom almost wall to wall with plumerias and other tropicals. This is crazy!! I am going to be moving a bunch of them to the basement tomorrow, and I think it is time to sell some more trees off. Still have doubles and triples of some varieties.

I also wanted another light but not sure if I can swing one now. I only paid $250 for my 600 watt HPS light and it came with everything including the bulb. Not a bad deal but just not sure if I can justify it just yet. I may get one in after the holidays and then just wake some more of my trees up early.

I just cannot believe that fall creeped up on me so fast!

Hi Laura,
Can you send me some of that heat your still having?

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here