Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nguy_gw

California Sunset or Penang Peach?

Nguy
10 years ago

Hi all,

I got another plumeria cutting (please see photo). The seller doesn't know its name. I searched online and found that its flowers look like those of California Sunset and Penang Peach. Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I does look an awful lot like CA Sunset. ID'ing from looks alone is really hard because of how the flowers can change.

Mike

• purdee54
    10 years ago

Hello, Penang peaches have a sharp point at the very tip of it leaves. If you feel a pin like apparatus at the tip....it's a peach.

• rox146
    10 years ago

HHHMMM...I read this and ran out to feel the leaf on my Ca. sunset from JJ this season at Lowe's...and...a pointy thing I have never felt on any other plumeria leaf. So, what do I have then? Label is on and everything and whatever it is, I love it. It is still sending out large great smelling blooms. roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

HI Nguy. I can see the hooked tips on the leaves of your plant, which is, as Peg mentioned, characteristic of penang peach. Cali Sunset is actually a PP seedling, so yes, Rox, it would have the hooked tips.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Many Mahalos Moonie....(actually fun to say that) roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Guys and Gals!!!

I had a few blooms left on my Penang Peach and I thought I would post what Purdee was talking about...

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Nguy... Your blooms are gorgeous!! What ever you have, it sure is a beauty!!! I wish I could identify , but it is so difficult.. I have one that I need help with too!!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 0:04

• jandey1
    10 years ago

The hooked tip is a characteristic of many of Penang Peach's offspring, like CA Sunset. CA Sunset looks so like PP that it's sometimes hard to tell them apart. Whatever you have, it's good!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I must have dreamed that Peg posted on this thread. lol

• Nguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Moonie_57 is correct. My plant doesn't have a sharp point at the tip of its leaves (that why I took the pic with leaves and flowers so you can ID). Last week, I smelled some of the flowers which have opened for several days and cannot tell their kind of fragrance. This morning I smelled the flowers which just opens a little bit, it smells like a strong peach fragrance. So I think it could be Penang Peach. Do you guy know the fragrance of CA Sunset?

Thank you for all your replies.
    Nguy

• rox146
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of my California Sunset from JJ this April. Great smell. roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

And then here is a close up of the pointy leaf thingy....that was talked about. roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

You were dreaming Moonie as I don't have a PP or a CS. Thanks for thinking of me though. :) Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Peg (pcput), you don't have a Penang Peach???

Let me know, I have a few cuttings.

Sponsored