Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax at this point in time..

She is putting on quite a show for October!!! ;-)

Laura

Comments (226)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Rob!!!

I'm so sorry that I didn't see the earlier post..

You sure did score with your new beauties and it seems you have done you research on Arabicums. I love your new acquisitions and the person taking the pictures sure did focus on the right subject.. Lol. Great picture of you and of your new beauties!!

Its been years since I started any new adeniums seeds.. I had so many that I gave them all away as well as some of those seedlings. When I have seedpods, I give them to anyone interested. Last year I had Purple Symphony #8 . They may not necessarily be like the parent tree, but are fun to sow and enjoy.. When I have some, you are always welcome to as many as you want!!!

Congratulations!!

Laura

• halocline
    8 years ago

OH NO, you misunderstand. I didn't buy them. (I wish! ) I was just very surprised to see them. They were $164.99 each.

If you do ever have seeds, I'd be happy to get some. :-)

I have a variety of Thai Soco, and Obesum seedlings growing right now, with Swazicum seeds on the way.

Don't know if you saw, but I just successfully completed my first "Flat Graft" (1 out of 3).

Rob

• halocline
    8 years ago

Needless to say, I'VE GOT THE BUG!!!

Rob

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Those truly are nice specimens Rob. Price would have made me reluctant, but would be nice to have.

Those trees should be Labeled Arabicum and not Thai Soco, if in fact they where. Not showing true Thai Soco character to be sold as such.

Rick

• halocline
    8 years ago

Rick - This was the same nursery that I posted pics of their large selection of Adeniums 5-6 months ago. These weren't labeled at all. In fact, they were practically hidden/unnoticeable. I tracked down the girl I'd already questioned about other things, and I asked her what they were. She fumbled with what she was trying to pronounce (Thai Soco), so I cut in and rearranged her words and syllables; and said "Thai soco?", then she smiled, vigorously shook her head, and said "Yes yes! That's it."

So then I told her that they need to be more on display so people would see them. If the price were right, I would have bought one....... Or two... Maybe all 3.

Rob

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Rob!!

I'm certainly glad that you didn't pay that price for them. Even though they are very nice, I don't think they are worth that amount. Whew!! ;-)

Congratulations on your flat graft!! Lol. You certainly do have the bug! But it's a great bug to have!! You have really worked hard and it certainly shows!!

The seed pods from any Adenium or Plumeria will have your name on it!!

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!

Hi Rick!! I hope you are having an awesome spring ! I can't wait to see pictures of all your beauties !! Take good care my friend!!

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Rob, Those are beautiful trees at that Nursery. Looks like a place I would could spend hours wondering through.

Nice graft there, also. Going to do some multi grafts this weekend. Some singles on one root stock and doubles on another.

Hi Laura, Always such a pleasure to hear from you. Such a gracious and wonderful friend. I hope that you and you husband are enjoying some great weather now. Weather here this spring has been unseasonably warm (good thing). I am anxious to have trees all outside. Hope to hear more from you Laura. Keep well.

I have a tree coming from Thailand that Anucha has grafted for me. This flower has always been one that I have wanted. It is called "Diamond Ring". It is a Swazicum hybrid and he grafted 3 scions onto 3 different branches of an Arabicum.

Anucha has been a long standing professional that my Australian friends have trusted for many years. Wonderful guy and very knowledgeable and trustworthy.

Rick

• halocline
    8 years ago

Before I started growing Adeniums; I think I read somewhere that it's possible to graft a Plumeria to an Adenium.?

Rob

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, there are Articles of Grafting Frangipani onto Adenium rootstock. Not something I had considered, but would be worth experimenting?

Think I remember reading that Oleander is related or from the Apocynaceae family.

Rob here is an article from Melissa J. Bell.

Plumeria typically blooms from early summer to early fall.

Plumeria, a small group of deciduous flowering trees, is cultivated for its bold, tropical blooms and intense, exotic fragrance. Also known as frangipani, this genus is native to the warm climates of South and Central America as well as the Caribbean and thrives in U.S. Department of Agriculture hardiness zones 10 to 11. Propagation of plumeria species through typical seed growth and cutting can be difficult, as some types supply short-lived seeds and have difficulty rooting. But cleft-grafting branches with a similar rootstock, such as the closely related desert rose (Adenium obesum), can result in a healthy tree that combines the foliage of plumeria with the shorter height of adenium.

Gather scion wood from a 1-year-old plumeria tree. Select slim branches with at least three buds and cut the branches into 6-inch-long pieces.

Prepare the scion wood by making a few sharp, angled cuts toward the base, creating a 1-inch-long wedge.

Trim all branches from the adenium rootstock, then cut the trunk flat to prepare it for grafting.

Wedge a chisel into the top of the rootstock and tap it down with a mallet to create a 2-inch-long split.

Insert the cut end of the scion plumeria wood into the adenium rootstock split, lining up the flat edges of the scion with the flat sides of the split.

Cover the graft by wrapping the wood with grafting tape, then sealing the exposed top of the rootstock with grafting wax. Wrap the entire plant in clear plastic wrap to keep moisture contained.

Uncover the graft once new leaves sprout from the scion wood and the graft has healed.

Things You Will Need

• Plumeria tree
    • Pruning shears
    • Knife
    • Adenium rootstock
    • Chisel
    • Mallet
    • Grafting tape
    • Grafting wax
    • Clear plastic wrap

Tip

• Insert two pieces of scion wood for the best chance of success. Trim the weakest branch once growth begins, then remove it entirely once the graft has fully healed.

Rick

• halocline
    8 years ago

Yeah, that's the one thing Adeniums are missing. Fragrance!!

Here's a link Stuart gave me. The second method shown is what your article say's, except to the extreme.

http://www.siamadenium.com/articles/Bud_Grafting_HS.html#.Vx1LShL2bIV

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

Went to the nursery Friday, and they had re-stocked their Plumeria. They had about 30-40, and ALL of them had inflos/blooms. Although most of them had better and more mature inflo's, and some of them had more preferable bloom colors, but I decided to choose the overall healthiest, blemish free tree they had.

Jungle Jack's "Gemini".

Rob

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked halocline
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!

Sounds like your nursery just received trees from Jungle Jacks ( Vista, California).

I'm sure the selection was to die for !! You sure did pick out a beauty!! I love the shape and the healthy looking inflo!!!

congratulations!!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Hi Laura,

Do you treat/spray your non-blooming plants w/ any insect control when you put them out?

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

Hi Laura.

I'm watching a program on PBS about volcanos called "Life on Fire. The intro was talking about how different animals make them their homes after an eruption, and how plants and forests spring up from the ash. The first scene they showed were of scattered Plumerias (blooming) growing throughout this bleak landscape. Very cool. :-)

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

Hi Laura! Long time no talk.

I was wondering, what material did you use for the shelving on your Bonsai bench's?

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!! I don't know why I'm not notified when someone post on my threads. Sometimes I get an email and other times I don't.... Hmmm????

So sorry that I didn't see the other post.. My apologies...

I try not to spray anything on my trees u less I have a huge infestation and let Mother Nature control any pest.. Only because I usually have a lot of Praying Mantis every year.. If I spray, I use the hose to rid of dust and anything left over from the winter.. I will spray before I bring them in for the winter. Bayer 3 in 1 is my favorite. I'll spray and then treat again in ten days before they come back inside fir their rest..

That sounds like a show I would love to see.,. Sounds awesome to see new life after a disaster.. Did you see the link I posted about " How Wolves Change Rivers". You would like this one too.. ( anything ) ;-)

The materials used on my benches are 2x6's or 2x4's I believe and 1x4s for the backing.. Then stained..

Did see some others use cinder blocks on the Adenium forum.. If you want me to find those pictures, let me know., my benches meant to stay put.. They certainly are long and secure.. I'll find you a picture of mine..

Always a pleasure Rob!!!

Here is a picture of one of the many Praying Mantis. This one is posing.. See her arm behind her head ?? Lol....

Have a great night!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Yeah, I couldn't find a good pic of your bench's. I'm not going to build something that elaborate, but I need something that I can water my plants on. I might use something like that "Trex" material.

I've been having carpet, paint, and baseboards put in my house; so my life has been a giant casserole of confusion and disorganization for a while. I just cant seem to get caught up. I have about 40-50 GW emails; but haven't had a chance to even look at them.

Thanks,

Rob

P.S. The wolf thing, yes.

• halocline
    7 years ago

Hi Laura.

Do you ever put your Plumerias in terra cotta pots??

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

I will put my adeniums in Terra Cotta, but I usually always use black plastic for my Plumeria. I have since I started collecting.. They work well for me and the root ball slides out easily for reporting and or potting up !!

If you choose to go that route, it will be fine. You might have to use a tool to help loosen the roots when needed From the sides...

have a great night Rob!!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

I asked because a woman on another site said she never uses Terra Cotta for Plumerias for a number of reasons, but always Black plastic nursery pots.

So that's the route I'm taking, although I like Adenium's in TC too.

Just transplanted my JJ Gemini.

Rob

P.S. For quite some time now; the "Photo" option rarely ever work's for me. I always have to use the "Houzz Photo" button, and it never gives me any problems.??

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!

i do use terra cotta for all of my Adeniums!!

All of my plumeria are in black plastic containers.. Another reason is because I have so many Plumeria trees that I would spend a fortune on containers.. The ones that I have displayed in the front area of the pool might be plunged into a terra cotta looking " plastic" container . Only for the look itself instead of all black containers.. I personally like the black plastic! I reuse my containerswhen I'm potting up and will save the smaller ones for the newly rooted cuttings. It goes full circle!!

Use what you like.. If you have it in a black container and you want to see something with more eye appeal, drop that co trainer into another.. Enjoy!!

I have seen others using ceramic containers and they do well.. It takes a little more time when you have to pot up or root prune.. ( to get them out of the container) But it's fine !!

I haven't had any issues with the Houzz " Photo" button.. Hmmmm. I wonder if anyone else is having that issue.. I know that the recent iPhone upgrade has caused issues with drop calls etc.. I didn't do the upgrade for that reason!!

i hope you can figure it out.. Did you send In A question to Houzz?

take care!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Last visit to my favorite nursery. (8/19/16)

See that beauty dead center, just blending in with the rest of the display?

That's at the front of the enormous greenhouse. I told my Mom "I'm pickin that baby up on our way out".

One week later.

How awesome is that??

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!!!

Certainly is a beauty you found !!! ( huge thumb up!!!)

i can only imagine how large your collection is now. Lol!!

Hope you are well and enjoying the new season arriving .. I'm getting my trees ready for the move . Such a sad time of the year!!!

Take good care!!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Laura,

Yep it's that time of year. However, this is the 1st time I'm going to let one of my Plumies go dormant. I've left it outside fulltime, and only 3 leaves have turned Yellow. The temp's have still been in the 50's at night though, but that's about to change. The upcoming forecast is as follows - Tonite 44*/ 4th 68H 41L/ 5th 67H 41L/ 6th 55H 35L, then it will be back up to the 60's&70's with lows in the upper 40's.

So.... Is there a point when you bring yours in permanently? Is this when you stop watering; even if they still have leaves?

I'm going to let my newer one (JJ Gemini) continue to grow; because it's taking it's time recovering from transplant shock. It has grown quite a bit though.

I've removed some of the leaves (not yet in this pic), but the trunk continues to have somewhat of a shriveled look. The transplant also aborted the inflo.

I've been researching dormancy (in general) a lot. I understand deciduous tree's in cold climates (for the most part), but I cant find much info about the dormancy process in plants like Adeniums, and Plumeria. Due to their origin; dormancy can't be a result of "Cold Hardiness".

I'd be grateful for a bit of instruction. :-)

Thanks,

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!

I have been working hard preparing mine for the annual " March". Been at it most of the day yesterday and today... Ugh!!

I would not let my trees see any temperature under 45 degrees.. It's just not worth having any issues as well as the risk of killing the tree!! You only have a few Plumeria trees, so I would not take any chances.. If you are going to let the one grow during the winter, then I would place it under T-5 lights or whatever light system you have. ( they love bottom heat too!!) The Adeniums can naturally go dormant or you can place them under lights as well.

My Adeniums will be placed in my room and will naturally go into their dormant period. The leaves will drop naturally on my trees. ( Adeniums )

My Plumeria will be forced into a dormancy period . I know some say they should drop leaves naturally and I agree, but when you have as many as I do.. I need to have the space and not have ( 100+) trees drop leaves in the house. So I will cut leaves and wait a few weeks so the stems will naturally fall off. I will reduce the watering too. If I was to keep them active during the winter under lights then I would continue to use the wet/dry cycle. If they are dormant, then I would give them water ( limited amount depending on the container size) once a month. ( maybe a cup of water for a three gallon container) Again.. You will hear others say to stop watering during the time they are dormant, but it also depends on the dormancy time as well. I also think about trees in the wild.. Trees go dormant in Hawaii and in South America and they also have rain showers at times. So I won't let my roots see wet conditions with low temperatures.. My containers in my room will be limited with water, but I will not let them go without. Remember they don't like to have wet feet .. I know you have a great draining mix so this won't be a problem for you.

We are also watching another Hurricane that is projected to head our way. It's a category 4 Hurricane named " Matthew". This has made me start to work harder getting my trees ready for the winter. I'm not happy about the annual ritual that I need to do, but to protect them as well as my house, it has to be done. This has been my way of getting them ready for the dormant period and it has worked for me very well.

You can let the leaves fall off naturally since it would be better for the tree, but I would definitely protect it from any temperature under 45 degrees. Some of my friends will push the limits with temps down to 35 degree, but why ??? I love them to much to take a chance.. They are tropical trees!!

I will also spray them off with Bayer 3 in 1 next week and then again in a few weeks, this will take care of any insects that might be traveling on them and the container!!

Hope this helps!!

Take good care!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

I've already sprayed most of my plants 1-2 times, and as of tonight everything is inside. Here's a couple of links w/ detailed (but understandable) information about cold dormancy, like deciduous trees. (e.g. Japanese Maple)

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/winter_dormancy_and_chilling_in_woody_plants

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/forestbiology/htmltext/chapter6.htm

Now, that's all well and good. However, I don't understand dormancy in plant's that originate closer to the equator. e.g. Adeniums, and Plumeria.

What's the temp in "Your Room"? What causes your Adeniums to go dormant? Lack of light, then water?

One of my Adeniums went dormant after a transplant.

I haven't given it any significant amount of water since August 17th, and the caudex is still firm.

So obviously, cold hardy plants, and tropicals have totally different dormancy cycles.?

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Rob..

From what I have read, Plumeria in the area of their natural habitats go dormant when the day length shortens..Why? Because it's the equatorial part of the world. If a plumeria did not loose their leaves it would continue transpiration or water loss.

I believe it's the lack of sunlight and lack of moisture conditions in their natural habitat that cause Plumeria to go into a dormant or semi dormant period to protect themselves. Lack of light ..water.. Trees naturally shed their leaves to prevent water loss.. Growing these here in the north, we have to help them along to prevent them from other extremes such as colder temperatures. ( which is why I keep them dry and keep them from cold conditions.) they are tropical trees so they can't see certain temperatures. Most agree, not to have them exposed to anything less than 38-40 degrees. I just don't let them go that low. ( 45 degrees is my lowest that I will let them see...)

When I say "my room " I have several where I keep them. Some are in my living great room and the temps are the same all year round. 70's this is because my huge trees can't be moved anywhere else beside being next to my sliding back door. These trees have warmer conditions, but still drop their leaves.. The other trees In The back room are happy with temperatures around 60. I start to see them glisten at the tips and wake up when the days start to lengthen ( around the end of February) it's Interesting to witness my large tree in one place in the same growing conditions in where we live all winter. It does rest.

You can do a web search on this topic.. Lots of ideas on why Plumeria and Adenimums go dormant and how to protect them in the Northern Hemisphere... It will make your head spin with certain theories...

i wish I could help you out more.. I dealing with getting my trees ready for this hurricane.. And prepping them for the winter.

Your Adenium could have lost it leaves to shock from the transplant .. I have a few that I received from Thailand right now and they are pushing leaves, but it will stop again soon after they come inside. I would still give your Adenium a little water.. Not much, but a little ..

take care,

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Adenium Golden Bell...

(10/6/16)

(10/12/16)

(About 6 months.)
    Rob

• PRO
    AgedPixel
    7 years ago

Amazing colors Laura!

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked AgedPixel
  • halocline
    7 years ago

Hi Laura,

Did you receive a large envelope through the mail at work recently??

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!!!

Your ears must be burning... Hahaha!!!!!

I was mentioning to a friend that I posted in two forums trying to get a message to you to thank you for my lovely cards... They are so beautiful and I was truly surprised!!

Here is the link to the other thread I posted to thank you!!! I also posted in the 'anything' thread to make sure you see this....

Someone just gave me your email and I was going to send if you didn't respond to the plumeria thread.. Mahalo!!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4289263/friends-always-touch-my-heart-thank-you-rob?n=8

Thank you so much, a Rob!! Please tell your mother as well...(((((((Hugs))))))

Laura

Awesome car!!!!

Thank you agedpixel... :-)

• halocline
    7 years ago

I've been playing around w/ my new camera, because I get a free 30 min. consultation w/ purchase, so I'm trying to make a list of questions to ask.

I just took this pic w/ a macro setting. There's been No Editing!

WOW!!!

Or this one, with editing.

And this one.

With this camera, I can even transfer photos to my laptop via WiFi. Cooool man.

Rob

• Bill Kent
    7 years ago

Wow, very nice Laura. Another for my list.

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked Bill Kent
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Congratulations on your new purchase, Rob!!!

Thank you Bill!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Laura - Here's a link to the exact place we stay on Siesta Key, Florida Midnight Cove "Firethorn #312. 25 yards from the beach.

We're thinking of going down in May.

https://www.midnightcove.com/view-all-units

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

No rest for the wicked.

(JJ Gemini)

(JJ FireStorm)

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!!!

Look at those beautiful leaves.. Oh my Rob, you sure do have me jealous of those beauties!! ;-)

Im getting excited for the new growing season.... Looks like you have been busy???? Lol.. Never any rest, my friend!!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

I tried putting the "FireStorm" to sleep. I kept her in the spare BR where it's cool, and very little light. I withheld water for weeks at a time, but she wasn't going for it, so after about 2 months; I brought her back out into the grow room, and she's thriving, and joking around with her friends.

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

They all have different attitudes... This one wants your full attention and it looks wonderful!!! Mine are waking up too!!!!

This is one that is blooming right now. 1/31/17 inside the house in Virginia Beach under T-5 lights..

valkyrie

Should be more of a purple coloration, but with mine growing in the winter .. It's just a yellow with purple edging.. It's beautiful, but I wish it would have waited . She started to push her inflo late summer and now it's exploding!!! Lol

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

AWESOME!! Do they smell good?

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!

No fragrance on this one only because of the growing conditions. ( artificial light and no heat) When I have blooms during the winter, they usually don't have the normal fragrance that you would see on the summer with the natural growing conditions.. Heat, sunlight etc.. It's alright.,. I still like the visual beauty and I'm hoping to see this variety bloom in the heat with our humidity some day.

I'm getting more and more excited for spring!!

The Japanese Quince is starting to bloom!! Yes!!!!!

have a great evening everyone!!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Constant blooming since August. (obesum hybrid)

(The strange color is from new HPS bulbs.)

I'm getting ready to try the Adenium to Plumeria graft, and vice versa.

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

New pot specifically for this Adenium.

This plant will be a scion donor; if & when it ever stops blooming. lol

Do you have pics of the Quince?

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

I took this picture for you today, Rob!!! :-)

japanese Quince

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Very nice. Are those in the ground?

A couple more weeks of growth on the "Prolific Bloomer".

(No Black picotee this time around.)

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

Meet, "MEDUSA".

(Dormant w/o wire)

(Leafing out w/o wire)

(Leafing out w/ wire)

(Beginning to bud)

This is the 6th dormant Adenium I've bought, and the 6th time I've brought them home; placed them in the grow set up, and they have completely leafed out & bloomed within the first month.

I guess I've achieved an optimal environment.

My Plumeria are wide awake too!!

I cant wait to get them out onto my newly built Bonsai Bench.

Rob

• halocline
    7 years ago

Hi Laura,

Where are you? Haven't heard from you lately, hope everything is ok.

Rob

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Rob!!

Awesome bench you have there and I love the set up you have made for your beauties!! Great job, my friend!!!!

Those pictures of your Adeniums, clarity, color and overall beauty is simply stunning! Just beautiful....

I have been really busy lately with my job as well as taking care of my aging mother. She was sick in November and is still not doing well. She needs a lot of attention and help now, so when I'm home from my job, I'm usually helping her, my daughter and grandson etc. I am Hoping that I'll see some routine back in my life that will include my quiet time that allows me to enjoy my trees and visit the forums as well. But she is my priority right now and I'm trying to balance her and my family. it will all be fine, so I just take it day by day. Thank you for thinking of me... it means a lot and it touches my heart !!

You are always a shining light and I'm thankful!! Hugs!!!

Laura

• halocline
    7 years ago

Hey Laura,

Can you post an updated pic of your "Buddha"? It's prolly dormant right now, but when she get's dressed up this Spring/Summer.

Here's the last pic I have.

I raised one of mine too. :-)

Rob