Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Time for Bed

Well its that dreadful time of year. I could probably let them stay out for another couple of weeks but I figured I wouldnt chance it. Plus I have to get some other tropicals dug up, citrus moved in, Close and cover the swimming pool, Clean up the million deciduous leaves that will invade the yard. So I figured Id get one chore done.

Here is delightful with it hair cut. I counted at least 6 maybe 7 seedpods forming WOW!! anyone want some seeds LOL

The pile of leaves.

hanging out in the garage. They will eventually go either in the house or the barn out back but for now they are here.

Missing from above are Desert Sunrise, Divine, and Celadine. They all decided to push new inflo so they will stay in the greenhouse.

Anyone else send theirs to bed yet?

Mike

Comments (15)

• rox146
    10 years ago

WOW! I feel for you guys in that zone. I guess an East wind is not so bad. And putting the socks and sheets out for the 2 weeks a year is okay...roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!

I feel your pain.. I started to do the same to mine this past weekend. Seventy five percent have been cut just like yours. Had about five huge bags full of leaves.. Labor of love? Lol.. My hands are killing me!!!

Rox... I would give anything to only have to throw sheets or find hundreds of socks, lol!! You are lucky!! We have to prep for our cold winters well in advance to be ready.. Argh!

Take care ,

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

The best part to remember...you are now a step closer to seeing all of this year's hard work pay off next year.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Yesterday evening I cut off all my leaves. I didn't really want to for my seedlings since my QOH has such beautiful dark green thick tear drop shaped leaves but oh well -- it must go dormant as the temps are dropping here.

The only one that I will try to keep awake is my Mary Helen Eggenberger as her info is getting bigger an I would like to see it. I guess I will have to put my 5500k light on it an hope that it will bloom for me and not have bud drop. *Crosses fingers*

But in results of cutting the leaves off I got munched by skeeters. I hate those bugs. That's one bad thing about going outside to fool with my plants is that I get ate up -- I am like an all you can eat buffet to them. :(

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

No! I want to stay in denial plus I haven't gotten the basement ready yet. Laugh.

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rox, I does become quite sad around this time of year.

Laura, I figured you probably had a few down already. do you have any new one going in the greenhouse?

K, you are right there. Only probably is I think i will have a bunch of work to do come spring.

Kim, I bet you can get MHE to stay going. just give her tons of light.

Robert. You better get going. You know our luck. One day you will wake up and there will be frost everywhere because the weatherman lied, again. so can you see 4222 in the group?

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

That's tough, Mike!
    Is it the one in the back on the right with the green stems?
    They look totally different with no leaves! :)
    Did 4222 ever bloom for you? If so did you catch any scent?

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Good guess Robert. It is. By far it has the most tips. it did try to open and I got just a bit of smell. Thanks again.

Mike

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Well I got all mine brought in for the season -- 3 1 1/2 yr old seedlings, celadine, waimea, penang peach, key west red, vera cruz rose, mary helen eggenberger & I made 3 cuttings from inca gold as I couldn't make it fit. I didn't want to wait because we were suppose to get 50-70% rain today an I didn't want them to get drenched with rain and sit in the utility room -- bad for the roots I thought.

MHE is in the bedroom with my light on it. I hope the buds will form and bloom as some are about 1/2 inch long with pink coloring.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim

Thats a good collection you got there. Did you root the inca gold cuttings?

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 16:27

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Mike - Not yet as I just cut them, dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in a box with vermiculite to callus today. But yes I do plan to root them if they callus well for me as Inca Gold is a lovely specimen -- pretty yellow with a nice jasmine scent. If all three survive and make it, then I will keep one, give one to my sister as she has shown interest, and perhaps sell the other.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome Kim.

Well if you Dont find someone to buy #3 I may be interested. I have been wanting to replace the Inca I lost last year.

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

What? Winter's coming?! My plants are just getting started!

This will be the winter of leaving the car out of the garage, LOL. Gonna be fun maneuvering all those plants from the back down a slope to the front. Ugh.

Mike, how on earth did you get seven seed pods from a three-tip tree? Delightful is really a machine. Good luck with the crazy OK weather! You, too, Robert.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Jen

I wish we didnt have winter coming. My Big Brug has been trying to open flowers but between the caterpillars and cool weather its having a hard time getting them open. Maybe next year.

I guess I had some busy pollinators this summer. I can see 7 flower got pollinated some are still tiny so I hope they develop ok now that its bed time.

Forecast says possible mid 30's tonight.

mike

• pcput
    10 years ago

I did the plumeria walk the other night. DH was helping carry and I hope he wasn't keeping count. The biggest just made it in the back door so next year I'll have to bring it in the front door. TLD is still blooming and Jeannie just opened the first blooms. They are very pale, peach in color but a blooms a bloom. I don't have them all tucked in yet but at least they are in. Here's some of the smaller ones. I see a FL property in my future! Peg

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area