Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

Cuttings and water rooting

sbrow156
11 years ago

Got some cuttings on the weekend ....some rather large ones of the white and yellow variety. They will be little instant trees once rooted :D and a cutting of a pink and orange flower. Id like to think its some sort of sunset variety but i dont really know. Maybe someone can help me out to identify it? I found a pic online the exact colours though not so black in the middle and the petals dont curl so much on the outsides. I have put them in some water to attempt water rooting. I will let you all know how i go and show u a pic of the roots if or when they form :)

Comments (15)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

That flower is gorgeous! I don't know the variety but wow, how lovely! Sometimes the petals will curl more or less depending on the heat, and also the color saturation can vary a LOT based on the heat.

Please do keep us posted on your rooting progress!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Very beautiful, Sarah, though it would be hard to i.d. based on just the photo. It that one just growing in your area? Lucky you!

I finally remembered the name of the other large Aussie grower and linked it below. They have a pretty amazing list as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacred Garden

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes they do just grow down the road from my mums place. Oh what a great website! they even have a purple plumeria!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Sarah!!

Beautiful blooms!!

Good luck with your water rooting.. Please keep us posted!!

Hi Ladies!! : )

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Ah...now you see the hard core posters come out of the chaff... One Aussie, two Texans, and one Virginian. The Aussie Because its springtime for her. The Texans because its still summer for us and The Virginian because she is in ...well she is just in.

I would be overloaded with name suggestions. Good luck rooting it and we will see what happens with it. We are going to have to live vacariously through your Plumerias for the next few months so keep us posted please.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Sarah, that is a legitimate purple, too, from a reputable grower. You could always email them a few photos of that flower above, along with foliage or growth habit pics and see if they can't i.d. it for you. It really is a lovely flower.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just changed the water for these cuttings last night and you can see some root nubs starting to come through...so exciting! :D

Sarah

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thought id upload a pic of the actual tree i got the sunset cutting from down the street from my mums place.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

these are the flowers on the tree

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the light kind of dicoloured them though....heres a better pic of a flower i picked and then took piccys of on the beach

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

very nice thanks for the posting the pics. I hope it continues to root for you.

• pcput
    11 years ago

sbrow156, what a beauty ! You have a lucky find there. We'll have to send good rooting thoughts your way. Congrats, Peg

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im up to my 3rd week water rooting now. I read on another thread not to leave them in water for more then 3 weeks. So at the end of this week if they still dont have roots coming out what do i do? Pot up in soil? or keep water rooting? i checked the bottoms of all of them and u can see little nubs but they are not doing anything further. Also i fear one of them may be rotting. Its not soft or mushy or anything it just have a small browny black hole at the bottom. I was thinking of taking it out and dusting with cinnamon and then putting back in fresh water. What do you's recon?

Sarah

• DelWH
    11 years ago

My guess is that the nubs are the beginning of roots so you should probably pot those up in damp mix. As far as the other one goes, it may need to be recut since it may be rotting. I had a water rooting cutting that exhibited something similar, so I cut about 3 inches off and it was all mushy brown inside. It was a 2 tip cutting and had to keep cutting back up to the branch before I found all white wood so I now have 2 cuttings of that callusing in mulch like George recommends.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh yes i cut it back and you were right it was rotting. I have it sitting out at the moment drying up. So how would you suggest I go about trying to root it now? back in the water? or in some soil. And as i have never tried rooting in soil before should i use moisture rich or succulent soil and how often should i water?

Sarah