Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

What ended up being your 1 favorite plumie of 2014

Kimo
9 years ago

Even though my Thai Candy Lemon had bloomed before, because of the weird winter/summer weather, LC ended up performing beautifully and at the end of the season became my favorite for 2014.
Candy Lemon Taken Oct 4 2014:

Jasmine like scent, large 4" full round flowers with dazzling color, pom pom round shaped inflo heads.

So what ended up being your 1 and only Fav for the 2014 growing year????

Cheers

Comments (27)

• rox146
    9 years ago

Great thread. Is LC a happy bloomer each year? I love the color and what would it do in Ventura? I have had Kaneohe Sunburst blooming since March and still going off and great scent. Amazing. Vera Cruz Rose from Matthew is sending up a whole nether set of blooms (3rd time) on the same inflos. Belongs in every collection. So many trees and so little time.. ;-( roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi James !!!

Hard I decide, but I think it was my Penang Peach this year, followed by
    J-105. Great inflos on both and awesome coloration on each.

Penang Peach I think wins the prize for me this year... Second, J-105. Third, Kapalua .

So hard to decide , but what a great thread.

Cheers!!!!

Have a great night!!!

Laura

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Both of them are very beautiful. After looking thru about 150 pictures I had 7 that I loved for different reasons. I had about 80 bloom and it was a very good year. I am adding the first one that was on the list. This is my Katie Moragne and she is still blooming. Barb

• phxlynne
    9 years ago

My favorite was San Diego Sunset. So colorful in the heat.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rox,
    Candy Lemon would perform the same as in my patch probably. The last 4 weeks there has been some 90 degree heat, the highest was 95 which is a rarity in my patch. Avg Aug/Sept are 76 to 86. Even before the high temps Candy Lemon in person is gorgeous. As for being a "happy bloomer", hmmmmmm... I am not sure if this is the same CL that I had bloom in 2012, I may have been duped and sold multiple of the same varieties that totaled 15. I remember I ordered Yellow Violet, Candy Lemon, I think Danai Delight, but do not remember the rest, and the tags are all faded out as they were handwritten in ball point ink.
    Rox I luv Kaneohe Sunburst because its a profuse bloomer that performs in even cooler coastal temps, great size, color and scent. Only thing is the branches are so thin, they sometimes bend and plex on my tree.

Laura,
    I luv Penang Peach, and lets not forget with out her there would not be a JJ's for you to indulge your habit as his plants all started from PP lol. I bet she is GORGEOUS in VB summer heat and humidity. Thanks for the pic and sharing.

Barb,
    Katie is one of my all time fav Moragnes. The color is amazing on her, almost reminds me of Ruby Gold from Oz. Thanks for the great pic.

Phxlynne,

I luv your San DIego Sunset!! To be honest I do not remember seeing or hearing of SDS in the past, only the past couple years Ive seen the marvelous pics of her and thought, why didn't I buy one of those..lol. SDS has all the colors I love in a bloom and looks amazing. Thanks for the share and I agree with you about being a fav.

I am surprised that everyone is so decisive in their 2014 picks. Well great fav's and thanks for sharing. So sad to be @ the end of the season, oh well @ least it will free up some time during winter for other things.

Cheers

• phxlynne
    9 years ago

I should add that I have had Yellow Violet and Candy Lemon on my wish list since you posted photos!

I've seen pictures where SDS is lighter than here in AZ. We had actually some record-breaking rains this year and right after, I had a huge bloom, paler in color. Loved this one also, especially the veining. Same tree:

• rox146
    9 years ago

James I have learned a lot from you and now: All JJs are from Penang Peach... wow! mahalos, roxanne

• isobea
    9 years ago

Good morning everyone,
    my favorite one this year was CA Sunset. She started blooming in the middle of May - which is a miracle so close to the coast - and is still going strong. The picture I attached was taken 6/10 and the leaves are still the ones from 2013! Since then the plant has grown like a weed (mostly sideways and forward, not much in height) and produced huge flower heads all season long. I just checked: three of the old inflos from 2013 still produce an occasional flower. They are hidden way in the jungle of leaves now, though. I also have four new inflos just developing now - in size from small to first flowers opening. The different 'heat waves' we've been having have brought out the oranges and reds more than ever. It's hard to beat this plant.
    Iso

PS: Look Laura, I'm here, too. Have a great day!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    9 years ago

Not much scent but I just LOVED Xquisite from JJ. Such beautiful colors, the blooms lasted many days before fading plus the inflo blooms in a nice cluster. So glad I bought this one on a whim.

I would of included Rhonda as it was pretty amazing plus that coconut smell but when I transplanted it from a bottle to a gallon, kinda threw it into shock and the blooms didn't do well for me afterwards but in the coming years I look forward to see her delicious smelling beautiful blooms again.

• SouthernFried
    9 years ago

Wow, so beautiful.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    9 years ago

My favorite, as with last year, was Pretty Princess. Right now covered with many inflos, here was a picture of one a week ago.

9 years ago

Gorgeous !!

love them all. Mike PP is a beauty.

Roxanne. The one you were looking for is at BBB. ;-). The one you asked me about ? I'll text you tomorrow. ;-).

Kim.. Stunning.. Just stunning!! You go girl!! Love these beauties!!

Iso. Love your CS. Love seeing you here! That is the best part of the whole thread! So nice. XOXOXOX

PHS lynn. That is a beauty.. Love it!!

Barb.. I .love Katie Moragne.. Gorgeous!!

James. Metallica is a beauty. Mine is getting ready to bloom In a few weeks. Fingers crossed. LOVE lemon Candy. Wow. Sweet!!!

Thanks for the great thread!

Cheers.

Laura

Oh second choice. J-105
    Lol

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

J-105 ... she was everything I hoped for, and more:

Other awards go to (I'll add pictures later):

Most unexpectedly likeable: JJ Jubilee. I love the way the pink blooms fade to lavender and then almost white.

Most monstrous: Guillot's Sunset. It's taking over. I've had branches grow 2+ FEET in a single season. It put out the most inflos at once that I've ever seen this year, too. I might have to actually cut it back next spring (!!)

Bad name, beautiful flower: JJ Elsie. This flower does not look like an Elsie to me (apologies if your name is Elsie ... LOL). The coloration of this flower is exquisite, though. It's been continually blooming all summer.

Overachieving award: Saigon Moon. It's blooming off a 1+ year old inflo, with no signs of slowing down.

• Kenny
    9 years ago

This yr has been the yr of the purple plumies for me. I had 3 purples bloomed and my #1 has got to be Black Purple for its unique color. Mike (mksmth) and Jen (jandey) can attest to that lol.

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Hi James! Candy Lemon is gorgeous!

Tough question! My first thought was Musk Rainbow, but I think I'd have to say it's my shell plumeria. It has really impressed me. The heat has the flowers opening up, there are multiple inflos, and the rose scent fills the yard.

Thanks so much for a great thread. I love everyone's pictures of their Number 1s!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I say the same thing every year. Penang Peach. Except this year it's got a small twist...Penang Peach next to Jeannie Jr.

• ajbelf
    9 years ago

Katie Moragne

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phxlynne,

Loving the lighter pic of SDS, she is a looker either way, def keeper and worthy of being a favorite.

Rox,

Yes, John stated that all the stock @ JJ's was orginally from PP. I do not know now what they are crossing, but the original stock like Cal Sunset, Gina, etc all were PP babies.

Isobea,

California Sunset is a great bloomer, great growth habit and yes GORGEOUS and ever changing depending on light/heat. Def a reliable fav. Thanks for sharing the pic of your HUGE tree.

Kim309,

Sometimes you just have to be colorful and gorgeous (sounds shallow .lol), to be a favorite. Personally I do not like scent (good or bad ones lol). I luv plumeria for their diverse shapes, sizes and blazing colors and color patterns.

Def a looker and a favorite. Thanks for sharing as I have never seen an Xquisite growing locally, just the JJs pic of her.

Gorgeous on either continent.

Mike,

I love your PPP. Nice to see that she performs in cool coastal areas of So Cal. How is her growth pattern?

Def a good Fav choice, esp for the beach areas.. Waving @ Roxanne..lol

Laura,

Your J105 is GORGEOUS, but what else would I expect from you and VB temps.

Thanks for sharing the pic of her with us all :)

Daogirl,

Loving your J105 also. So fun to see how the same varieties perform in the different growing climates of the US.

K2FL,

I agree, even in the cool coastal temps this year was the year for Purples. I had a BP 2 seasons ago, but it was too cool in my patch and never really popped the purple color, more reddish. But the pics I have seen in warmer areas are to die for with that deep dark purple black color...love it. Def a good Fav.

Gidgetsocal,

Where did u get your shell from, kind of looks like Sheer Beauty from Thailand that is kind of like a Semi shell in cooler areas. Love your pic, def a looker and good Fav choice. Thanks for sharing.

KMS2,

Those trees are huge and amazing... Cheers

AJ,

Love KM, one of my all time Fav Moranges. I love the color patterns and shape, reminds me @ times of Ruby Gold or Mermaid Gem from Oz. Gorge Pic thanks for sharing

Jen,

OMG Long time no see on GW stranger..lol I've seen you on FB P grps..lol

I luv your JJ Serenade, reminds me a bit of Tiger without the splashing.. Def I would chose as a favorite also.

Your pink diamond aka diamond of the first water is gorge, must love the Tx heat. My PD committed suicide to escape my penal colony plumie patch couple of years ago..lol

Makaha sun look amazing in your patch

Seems like Y'all in Texas had a great year. Cheers thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone for sharing your fav and their pics. So sad that some people already have defoliated their babies and preparing them for their slumber. The plus is that everyone will have more time to do what they need as you will not have to fertilize, spray, water, top dress your babies .
    Cheers and heres to another great season.

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Hi James!

I bought the shell plumeria from Costco last year. It was a 15 gal. from C-Stars with no tag and no flowers. It was such a nice shaped tree, I had to buy it. Getting it home is a story for another time, but I have to say it was worth the SLOW drive. I do love everything about it. ;-)

Have a great evening!

Wendi

• jandey1
    9 years ago

James, work has been crazy so there's sadly little time or energy right now for my plumeria friends. But the Texas plumeria group will meet next weekend--want to come by and join us? :)

Oh, dear, plumie suicide--poor Pink Diamond! Some of the loveliest ones are also the most finicky, aren't they?

Nice to be able to drop by and see all the fabulous pics of everyone's great season! K, your big trees make me wish that I'd started much, much sooner.

And I wish I had the time and space to add ones like PhxLynne's SDS and Barb's Katie Moragne and Mike's Pretty Princess and...and...and...

You get the idea ;)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    9 years ago

Oh I love the Katie Moragne & the JJ Serenade. Beautiful!! :)

9 years ago

I love them all too!!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Pink Diamond, James. So sad...

Jen.. Yours is gorgeous and I also LOVE your favorite. Makaha Sunn !!!! Is sooo beautiful!!!

You guys are not helping me with the list of " wishes". I was doing ok until I look at this thread. I will say the Pink Diamond and Candy Lemon makes me want to do back flips. ;-)

I'll control myself, but I can still wish....

Thank you James for the great thread and the kind comments!! I have had a great summer and I have started the process of cutting leaves to get them ready the the annual march.. Sad time, but it is necessary.

We are having some rain showers today, so I think this will be the last time they get some water outside. They will have to dry out before I bring them inside next week..

I need to thin down. Argh!!!

Stop laughing, James !!!

Have a good day, everyone!!

Laura

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jen
    Always great to see you on GW, we missed seeing you lately.
    As for work, I am sure everyone knows how it is, sometimes plumies ending up being a 2nd full time job for people.
    Love when you post your pics as your flowers and colors are so vibrant and gorgeous.

Laura,
    I know how busy you are also with all you do for everyone and your job, not to mention end of the season plumie stuff like defoliating, spraying, schlepping plumies around.
    Just good to know you still haven't forgettin GW as I know how busy you are on FB...lol :P

• jandey1
    9 years ago

James, this one's for you:

She's still going like a champion, and smells like heaven!

• astrl
    9 years ago

Kimo was my star this year. Lots of inflos, lots of color, good scent and a seed pod. Gotta love it!

astrl

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jen,
    Is that your Makaha sun? If it is shes gorgeous and forever changing.

Astl,
    Luv Kimo, its my name sake. Kimos a plumie that has different faces depending.

Cheers

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz