Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafa_gw

Wind Broke Entire Plumeria Tree!

leafa
16 years ago

Hello All,

I just joined the site:) A plumeria tree in the botanic gardens at UCLA broke and blew over during the high Santa Ana winds here in LA. I inquired about it, and then it was given to me. It is too large for my balcony so I want to turn it into a few plants (I am open to keeping it intact if that is best). I think it broke over the weekend when the winds were strong and now has a very jagged and dried out end. It is about 7ft tall and has three major branches and 20 tips which all have mature and baby leaves. One tip has buds and blossoms. The whole thing looks to be in very good shape. My balcony faces east and has sun for the first half of the day. I will follow the advice I have been reading on this website, but I am wondering whether any one has any additional advice for me.

Thank you,

Lea

Comments (11)

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Lea,
    Do you know what the name of the plant is? Broke where? 7 foot takes a lot of years to get there, I would hesitate to cut it.

There will be a expert to come in and help you.
    Karen B.

• leafa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Karen B,
    I do not know what kind of plumeria it is. I did not see what was left of the trunk, only the felled part. Here is a picture. Thank you for your advice:)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

First thing I'd do it remove nearly all leaves. Then I'd probably cut it up into 6 or 7 separate cuttings ... using a very sharp saw or blade to get a clean cut...with none of the cuttings being longer than maybe three feet. Shortest cuttings should be at least 12 to 14 inches. You'll end up with some cuttings having tips and some not. Try to imagine what each cutting would look like as a rooted plant before you make the cuts. You will decide how you want it to look. You may want some to be just single-tipped plants. I prefer the look of a long stem with three or more branches. You'll get quite a variety of cuttings from that branch. Looks to be a common white, but who knows what variety it is for sure. Is it fragrant?

• kaz171
    16 years ago

Lea,

I've had cuttings that size before. i cut the bottom so it is smooth and not jagged, throw it in a pot with about 4"-6" of medium of choice, lean it against a wall and let that baby root. With the season ending it might take awhile, but mine that I rooted that way are all doing great. I would do as Dave says and cut all the leaves off so energy is diverted to rooting.

chopping it up will work too, but with a beauty like that I wouldn't...

• mikeod
    16 years ago

I agree with Kaz. Large cuttings root easier than small ones. Try to root that as one piece. When it does root, you have a patio tree that is beautiful.
    Mike

• leafa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello All,
    Here are some more pics that may answer some questions.
    Here is the bloom for identification purposes.

Here is the broken end. I walked by what was left of the tree today. Turns out it was not the whole tree that went down, just the biggest of the branches.

Here is the branching.

Also, it is fragrant, but not overwhelmingly.
    Thanks to all for your help and advice:) Send some more my way:)
    Lea

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Lea,
    OOOOh .. did not realize you did not have any roots!! You got some great advise, good luck on your plant. I don't know what it is by the picture.
    Karen B.

• kvflyr
    16 years ago

Lea,

I'm growing in L.A. County too.
    If I had a cutting like that, I would do as others said about removing all the mature LeaveS--IMPORTANT: CUT leaves off, DO NOT PULL THEM OFF as can damage plant stem.

CUTTINGS? I would NOT chop into a dozen cuttings. As noted by others, it does take years to get to that height. However, it may be awkward to balance this massive branch ,with no roots, against your deck rail--especially if one side is much heavier than the other,(hard to tell from pic.)

IF I HAD TO make more than one cutting, I would choose the tallest of the three main branches. I would cut that tallest one about 12" below its main "Y" split, at an angle. The cut-off piece would be a nice sized cutting with many branches and tips--easy enough to root. On your tree, the remaining cut, what was once the tallest branch, will be just below the other two in height and nicely balanced in shape. This cut will heal and in spring, new tips will develop out of the leaf scars (the smiley shapes on the stem.)

RECUTTING BOTTOM. As far as that jagged break at the bottom, I would make a clean cut just above that big crack line. Good to sanitize with rubbing alcohol on whatever you use to cut. Looks pretty woody at bottom. You'll probably need a small hand saw and a friend to help you hold the branch so you don't snap off any tips while sawing.

SOIL. I see a bag of Kellogg's potting soil on your deck. What I've learned from others is that you should add at least 50% perlite to that for proper drainage. Think succulents.

POT color should be dark to absorb heat. Black is best for rooting. After it has rooted you can transfer into something prettier.

Hope that helps,
    Kat (aka kvflyr)

• kvflyr
    16 years ago

p.s.- Something I learned from Chris at OC Farm Supply: use a rooting powder with fungicide, like Rootone, mixed with pure honey to make a paste, and put it on the bottom of calloused stem. This helps speed rooting process and helps prevent stem rot.

Kat

• cboz
    16 years ago

OMG it's beautiful, I wouldn't cut it up either. Looks like you got some great advice already, good luck!

• alankgore1969
    16 years ago

cut that cracked end of and pot that baby. thats a nice size tree

Here is a link that might be useful: my place