Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Only a few blooms left

Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 20:44

Hello friends,

I was lurking looking for tips on how to prepare my plants for the winter. My goal is to not lose any this winter, but only time will tell.

I was contemplating when I should cut off the leaves and move them under the covered patio but so far I still have some plants blooming... so I guess I will wait another week or so. The question I have is for those late inflos do I cut them off or leave them?

photo P1060666_zpse057c03b.jpgSaigon Moon... looking more white/yellow now due to cooler temps.

photo P1060660_zps346edf31.jpgDivine still blooming on all 3 tips. Again colors are less intense. But still so pretty.

photo P1060661_zpsaa809377.jpgElsie still blooming on both tips while pushing a brand new inflo on a third!

photo P1060675_zps5a5ee5d1.jpgLani is looking much better! Glad I didn't toss her... she's beginning to look like the real deal. :) But even if she's not, she's turning into a real beauty!

photo P1060677_zps31772b6a.jpgDelightful also still blooming on 4 tips... What a beauty.

photo P1060667_zps24b94044.jpgOrange Jack. What a big surprise. Still blooming its head off.

photo P1060669_zpsf607da16.jpgOrange Jack deserves a closer look.

photo P1060670_zps9efd709d.jpgCherokee Geisha. Need I say more?

photo P1060659_zps26957a45.jpgWhirlwind got a late start so I don't think she's blooming to her true potential. Still very pretty nevertheless.

photo P1060676_zpse42ea4a0.jpgKimi M... I almost gave her away at the beginning of the season because I was not that impressed with her last year. Boy did she prove me wrong! What a stunner!

photo P1060674_zps2b78f293.jpgCA Sunset.

photo P1060658_zpsafe76bd1.jpgStar of Siam kind of reminds me of Raspberry Sundae.

photo P1060673_zps26742b57.jpgMy Valentine. Huge flowers and awesome scent.

photo P1060652_zps7ef786eb.jpgTC from George's friend. Gorgeous!

photo P1060643_zps0e4e36ae.jpgHula Girl. Glad I didn't give up on her! She sat next to the trash bin all summer before deciding to grace me with her beauty. Oh and I did I say she smells heavenly?

photo P1060655_zps7602e9c8.jpgHula Girl.

photo P1060657_zps8b1f8e09.jpgHula Girl inflo # 1. Cut or keep?

photo P1060656_zps417f0bbb.jpgHula Girl inflo #2. Cut or keep?

photo P1060671_zpsb0b9afb0.jpgThailand Red still going strong.

photo P1060672_zps35c0312a.jpgThailand Red a closer look.

photo P1060678_zpsfdb2c73e.jpgCharlotte Ebert also pushing 3 inflos! This is just one of them. Cut or keep?

photo P1060665_zps03db6da5.jpgMy biggest surprise of them all... my Viola G is pushing a new inflo! Now what??? I really want to see what she looks like but I know the weather is turning colder especially at night going down to the mid 50s.

Any suggestions on how to get her to bloom? Thank you for looking!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Only a few blooms left

so gorgeous! In SoCal, I would leave them as we could get some warm weather still. That's what I am hoping for anyway so my late inflos will bloom. I am glad you did not give up on many of those either. I have My Valentine and Theodora Crimson and am very happy I do. Best of luck to you... roxanne

o

Wow. What a beautiful collection!!! Amazing ;-). I think the coolest temps in SoCal (dana point) is around 54degrees. I think you're ok- not positive but I wouldn't worry too much.

Chuy

o

Lynn,
I usually let the plant decide on what it will keep and not keep (leaves, inflos, seedpods, etc.). As far as protecting them right now I would wait a little bit longer until temps routinely go below 50 degrees at night and that would mostly be moving closer to the house or to a southern exposure for the youngest and reds (which in my experience are the most cold sensitive).

o

• Posted by isobea 10, San Diego (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 11:09

I agree with kms2. I'm in Carlsbad (3 miles from the beach) and I've occasionally woken up to 40 degrees at 6 am in previous winters, but all my plants survived OK. The potted ones get moved up close to the house under the patio cover to protect them from cold rain. I always leave the inflos on and many of them will bloom the following spring before new inflos mature.
Good luck, Iso

PS: I still have flowers on my San Miguel, Mona Lisa, Polynesian Red, Divine, Cal. Sunset and Samoan Fluff.

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 11:40

Thank you for your inputs!!

Ok hands off and I'll just let the plants decide. I was feeling sick thinking I would have to chop them off! I never thought about the inflos surviving and maybe blooming earlier next season. So that's exciting!

I am still going to get the frost blankets for the coldest nights though :) Thanks again!

o

Such pretty flowers!!!

I agree with everyone else. I used to live in Fountain Valley. My babies were under the deck (covered), but in full south facing sun. I also kept it out of the rain as much as possible (but still in the sun). They rarely dropped leaves, would continue growing them, some would even start to push inflows again when we'd have warm spells.

If you can find a nice covered south facing area, in which they get full sun all day, I'd put them there and leave them.

I also lived in Newport Beach (where it's overcast almost year-round), and my plants did fine outside. Even when it was hailing and freezing. I never even knew I was supposed to "winterize" them until I moved to Oregon this past July.

Good luck. I hope they keep blooming. I know a handful of my adopted out plants are still blooming a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here