Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
askafasl

Trouble with Rooted Cuttings

askafasl
10 years ago

I ordered some rooted cuttings a few weeks ago, and so far they've not begun to grow any new leaves, and the one or two leaves that were left on to ship them are starting to turn yellow and fall off.

Because just yellow leaves can mean a lot of things, I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I'm fairly sure it's not mites as I've checked the plants and been spraying consistently and haven't had problems with them so far. I potted them in regular cactus mix (some of the rooted cuttings were potted in cactus mix with sand and perlite), but I don't think it drains well enough and am wondering if this sounds like overwatering, or maybe lack of nutrients.

As I said, there are some tiny blades at the growth tips but they haven't really grown, which they definitely should have over a few weeks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I would not water after your first watering and provide bottom heat from a heat pad and absolutely no nutrients or fertilizers. I think your soil choice is fine. Are you in warm sunny climate?

There could be some discussion on the slowness of rooting this time of year. My experience has shown the rooting period to take significantly longer after the summer growing season but still achievable. best of luck.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Good luck!!!

Great advise, K!!!

Take care,

Laura

• askafasl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice! It's been pretty sunny and warm here, but the evenings and nights can get windy and/or foggy. They are on concrete. I don't have a heating pad but perhaps could place a black tarp under them...

About a week ago I gave just a little bit of water to one of them and yet the bottom of the pot was still slightly moist, which is what made me think the soil is not draining well enough. One of the cuttings is also wrinkled - but it seemed to me that it was overwatered! This is the same one that lost its leaves, the others are doing okay for now, but I'm still debating changing the soil mix.

I pulled the eternally wrinkled one up today, perhaps a bad choice, but the roots and stem didn't seem rotted as I suspected they were. I potted it into 1/2 perlite, 1/2 cactus mix in a bigger pot. Perhaps just mist it for now?

As for the others, they seem okay but aren't really growing leaves. Do you suggest continuing to not water them as well? So far I haven't watered for about 3 weeks since I first potted them (with the exception of the wrinkly one) and absolutely no fertilizer.

One more thing, does any of this sound like they just need more space or bigger pots? When I potted them the base of the roots were almost at the bottom of the pot (3 inches of stem submerged)...

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time with such young plumerias and with my own soil mix. :) I may have just annoyed and jostled the wrinkly one too much, and I really hope that doesn't spell its doom, but I guess we all have to start learning somewhere, heh.

This post was edited by askafasl on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 2:12