Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

oh my gosh the ants

rox146
10 years ago

SO, what can you put on/in the potted plumeria to deter the ants. This is the worst year I have seen for them moving in, eggs and all into my potted plumeria. I don't want to harm the trees, yet I am covered in ants all over my legs every time I water. Last year was so dry here in Calif. does this mean a wet winter? HELP! roxanne

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Rox,
    Amdro.
    You buy at any Big Box store.
    It works.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

many mahalos...I will get some tomorrow. roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Butterfly4u I like to use Amdro, they bought out Grants Ant. The Bait works really well as they take it to the nest. Check the website and decide what u might want to use.

Good luck.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 0:42

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

I sprinkle DE on the surface of pots and sometimes dust it up the stems. reapply as needed.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SORRY...what is DE? roxanne

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Diatomaceous Earth. See explanation lifted from Permaculture Articles:
    Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it compromises their waxy coating so that their innards turn into teeny tiny bug jerky. But it doesn't hurt mammals.

Great stuff that is pretty much straight silica.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG...I remember this now...I have some..works on those nasty slugs too! mahalo, roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

I've got a off topic question that maybe someone can answer but it does have to do with ants. I have 2 pretty big dragon fruit and found some tiny knobs growing that I thought were just new branches. There are ants crawling all over these tiny knobs. I've had lots of shoots but have never seen ants on them before. I'm wondering if these could be blooms starting and that's got the ants interest? Or do you just think it something else?
    Roxanne - I hope you can get your ant problem under control.
    Peg

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know a whole lot of anything...BUT, the ants know a lot about the weather or what is to come....so I have been told by many OLD time farmers....hope your problem Peg remedies itself. roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Peg,
    If your dragonfruit plant is having flowers the ants could be attracted and swarming for the sap that sometimes occurs on buds and blooms, ants also farm/protect and milk certain insects like aphids, mealy bugs, scale and I think if you see white fly eggs/larvas. You may want to shoot the ants off with water. Good Luck.
    PS you can not use DE on edible plants so do not use it on your Dragon fruit plants.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Usually I stay away from chemicals, but we get fire ants around here so I go straight for the Amdro now. They'll take it back to the colony so you can get rid of the queen and not just the workers that go through the DE.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus