Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria Problem

Posted by caroltropicals 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 21:07

I am in Houston, Tx.
I need some advice on Plumeria Pests. This is the second year that I have grown them. The first year they were just cuttings. This year most are in the ground. The plumies in the front have orange all over the bottom of the leaves. What is this pest !!
I have tried to spray with a systemic insecticide. I hate using insecticides so I tried Neem which didn't work at all. (nothing seems to work) Is the orange an effect of spider mites. I keep spider mites off of my other plants with orange peels. Should I pull these infected leaves off of the plant.

Also, I would like to keep these in the ground even though the temps get into the mid to high 30's. My plan is the cover them with sheets. Will all the leaves fall off if I leave them in the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions other than this. They would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria Problem

search through this web for "rust." There are some chemicals for it and many often cut off the leaves and clean under the plant. If it returns in the spring, take the chemical path.
Sheets are not a good preventative measure for frost. the sheet gets damp and then freezes on the plant causing damage. Look at a farm supply for inexpensive frost cloth. If not found. suspend a tarp above the plant but not touching it to keep frost from settling on the plants.

o

Thanks for the information. I will look for these sheets at the farm supply this morning. I had been treating for bugs and now I find out it is rust. Boy was I working in the wrong direction. Thanks again,

o

If you are in So.Cal., Chris Roy at Orange County Farm Supply in Orange Ca is very knowledgeable about treating rust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here