Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aniketa

Plumeria problem

aniketa
11 years ago

Hi, though I have followed postings in Gardenweb, this is my first posting. I have found lot of great suggestion here. Since I didn't see anything like this I decided to post it.

Does anyone know what could have caused the Plumeria stem to look like it is in the picture. The plant was still blooming, so i didn't worry too much and decided to wait till Spring for cutting and rooting, but the browning is spreading up in the smaller branch. Question is should I do it now. Will it root now as the weather is cooling off. I was also thinking I could keep the rooted plant inside where it is warmer to help it root. I'd appreciate inputs. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

No pic.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Any chance you could post the pic? If its brown it could be sunburn or could be intial rotting. You could try the pin prick method to see if you get white sap.

• aniketa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for responding. Wonder what happend to my picture, I saw it in the preview. Trying to post again. In the meantime I'll try the pin prick. Thanks

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

could be severe sunburn.

might be best to cut and root. the trunk will probably survive and put out new branches.

• aniketa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ya, I wondered if it could be sunburn too, but we are fairly near the coast, so I wan't sure. So, any suggestions on how to prevent it?

kms2, I tried to prick the affected parts and they are too hard. Only the green parts on the branch produce sap, the brown parts don't.

Guess I should hurry up and root a cutting.
    Thanks to all.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

To prevent sunburn, you can wrap aluminum foil around the stalk.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I have noticed if you attach a picture, then preview your post, and then make changes and preview again the picture will have been removed. Thats probably what happened.

I would guess some sort of sunburn or physical damage on the bark would cause that. You could just leave it or use pruning sealant, or better would be a tan silcone caulk. I think Tdogdad says to use a "Dap" brand product as a filler and sealer.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I agree, it looks like sunburn. I would also make sure the trunk isn't touching the side of the pot since sometimes they get REALLY hot even if they're plastic, and make sure nothing is reflecting off of it. Del suggested foil or many use a toilet paper or paper towel tube taped shut around the trunk, it works wonders!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Aniketa,
    That is a sunburn. The reason it sunburned is because the trunk is less than 4" from the wall of the clay pot and the reflection radiation from the wall to the trunk is very strong. What happens when the sun shines on both, radiation from the pot wall hits the same spot on the trunk that the sun in shinning on. The direct radiation from the sun on the trunk is additive with the reflective radiation from the clay pot to the trunk. As a result, the section where the two radiations are additive overheats and gets sunburned. This is why the trunk got sunburn from the soil line to the top of the clay pot.

To prevent this, wrap the trunk with aluminum foil to just above the lip of the pot, or paint the trunk white, or pot the plumeria higher up in the pot so there is little lip showing and place the trunk in the center of the pot.

Aniketa, I am the research director of the Plumeria Society of America. I am writing an article, about sunburning of plumerias and how to avoid it, to appear in the January issue of Plumeria Potpouri. I would like to use your picture as an example of how plumerias can sunburn. Can you please send me the picture in my E-mail address : ghadjigeorge@comcast.net . I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    George

• jandey1
    11 years ago

George, if you need photos, I'm pretty sure most of us have had enough sunburned trunks to be able to come with pics for you. Do you just want pics of severe burn?

Now that I think of it, the burn does always seem to happen right at pot-top level rather than farther up.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Jen,
    How have you been? I do need pictures and if you have some I will appreciate if you E-mail me.

This particular one that Aniketa has is unique in that the burn is 6" long. Normally they are only a few inches long because radiation from a nearby surface (normally from the soil) does not travel that long (less than 4") because of the low temperatures involved. Aniketa's plumeria has a long burn because it was planted way too deep in the pot and the trunk was off center close to the pot wall. These created the conditions to get such a long sunburn (the radiation came from the side from the pot wall and not from the soil). I wish she would respond to my post.

tc, Jen

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

What is also interesting in her picture Jen is the second pot behind it. It's wall is about 6-8" away and it did not burn the trunk. That is because radiation falls off fast by the square of the distance. So, at 6" away the radiation that reaches the trunk is 1/36th of the radiation that reaches the trunk one inch away. The round surface also reflects most of the radiation away from the trunk. This picture has a lot of the principles about radiation I am trying to show in the article.

tc,
    George

• DelWH
    11 years ago

George, in the worst case, you can always copy and paste that pic from here to your hard drive. Of course, it really belongs to Aniketa, but if she gave you permission to do that, she wouldn't have to actually email it to you.

• aniketa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to apologize to everyone for being away so long. Thanks to all for the input. I did take a cutting and it has rooted successfully, I am happy to say. I'll repot it in the center as suggested...I also wondered if it would be ok to fill more soil to cover that, but I am afraid it might rot the stem. What do you all think?
    George, of course you can use my picture, but I do have to mention that the burn happend before the configuration you see in the picture. This pot was all by itself but sorrounded by concrete. I'll also send you the picture...hope it is not too late.
    Second question, in general is it ok to add soil on top when the soil in the pot sinks a lot or should I add soil in the bottom and replant it? Thanks and sorry again.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Aniketa, I add soil to the tops of my pots all the time. Doesn't bother the plumies at all.

• aniketa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, jandey. That is good to know, now I can try them.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor